News and Notes XIX: Well... We're waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
So you'd rather get a name on a sweater than try to fix perhaps our biggest weakness this past year? I hope your name isn't Ron Francis.

In the context of what Darling is going to be making, he has a bit of a point... but it cuts both ways.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If we're going after capable old guys, I'd ring up J-Willy in DC. He's another scoring winger who IS responsible on defense. I think he's got a year or two of tread left. You never know if he'd consider a farewell tour.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we're going after capable old guys, I'd ring up J-Willy in DC. He's another scoring winger who IS responsible on defense. I think he's got a year or two of tread left. You never know if he'd consider a farewell tour.

We've discussed this before, but I'll be very surprised. He doesn't live in the area, we aren't a contender, he doesn't know anyone on the team except Ward (who may not be back) and he'd be the old man in the locker room (assuming Stemp goes in the expansion draft). Williams is going to be 36 next season. Can't see him wanting to spend 7-8 months out of the year on a team that isn't a contender (or even a strong candidate to make the playoffs) and will have a roster full of guys 10-15 years younger than him.

I get the love affair with bringing old Hurricanes back, heck, Williams was my favorite player when he was here. I just don't see it though.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Absolutely want Jagr - yes.

Signing Jagr and fixing the goaltending is not mutually exclusive. Canes need one or two solid forward talent addition (which Jagr would be) and a clear #1G to succeed next year.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So you'd rather get a name on a sweater than try to fix perhaps our biggest weakness this past year? I hope your name isn't Ron Francis.

I'm sorry, and our offense hasn't been a weakness this past year? Yes goaltending needs to be addressed, but not with a goalie like Darling who's been incredibly sheltered by his circumstances playing in tandem with Crawford and hasn't really proven anything. Jagr has proven he can still light the lamp at his age and is fairly plug and play, as it were.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
We've discussed this before, but I'll be very surprised. He doesn't live in the area, we aren't a contender, he doesn't know anyone on the team except Ward (who may not be back) and he'd be the old man in the locker room (assuming Stemp goes in the expansion draft). Williams is going to be 36 next season. Can't see him wanting to spend 7-8 months out of the year on a team that isn't a contender (or even a strong candidate to make the playoffs) and will have a roster full of guys 10-15 years younger than him.

I get the love affair with bringing old Hurricanes back, heck, Williams was my favorite player when he was here. I just don't see it though.

Well that was my point....you never know. And, for the record, I agree, he's unlikely to make the return. But maybe GMRF's got some sales chops, or maybe Williams' has a brain cramp....or maybe, I'm just hopeful beyond reason....:D:naughty:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I just don't feel like Jagr is a good fit for the system Peters likes to run. I think giving him Jagr would be like tying his hands to a degree. The vision Peters has for this team is a hard skating transition team and Jagr doesn't fit that description. Florida fans have complained that Jagr has anchored some of their best players with his inability to get up and down the ice quickly enough and that problem only stands to get worse with another offseason ahead. We need to go in a different direction.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I can't wait to get to blame the management for making moves like Jagr.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I just don't feel like Jagr is a good fit for the system Peters likes to run. I think giving him Jagr would be like tying his hands to a degree. The vision Peters has for this team is a hard skating transition team and Jagr doesn't fit that description. Florida fans have complained that Jagr has anchored some of their best players with his inability to get up and down the ice quickly enough and that problem only stands to get worse with another offseason ahead. We need to go in a different direction.

That's an entirely reasonable analysis, but I do still kind of want him. On a young team, it would be great to have a guy with as good a hockey brain and as much experience and work ethic as Jagr around. I'm just having visions of Lindholm and Aho picking up tips from having a one of the best players in NHL history skating with them every day at practice, and that's not exactly an unappealing vision. He's not what he once was on the ice, for sure, but there's so much that he could bring on the mentorship side that I just can't look at him just on how he'd fit into our transition game.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

Makes sense. People were more interested in getting a name off a sweater than dealing with the biggest weakness last year.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
That's an entirely reasonably analysis, but I do still kind of want him. On a young team, it would be great to have a guy with as good a hockey brain and as much experience and work ethic as Jagr around. I'm just having visions of Lindholm and Aho picking up tips from having a one of the best players in NHL history skating with them every day at practice, and that's not exactly an unappealing vision. He's not what he once was on the ice, for sure, but there's so much that he could bring on the mentorship side that I just can't look at him just on how he'd fit into our transition game.

True. And if he'd be cool with $3.5 million and 3rd line minutes and 1:30 of each powerplay, you could count me as interested. I just don't know if Jagr has a realistic perception of where he fits in a lineup at this stage. If he wants 17-19 minutes a night, that's a hard pass. If he'd be happy with 13-15 with a lot of that on the man advantage, maybe it's worth a longer look. I wouldn't be totally upset, but I don't think Peters is going to beat down Francis' door for this one.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I was totally on board with Jagr a few years ago. But I'll definitely pass now. If it happens, it would be cool in a lot of ways, but wouldn't be a move I'd make.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Dear god, CI, what possessed you to go ask opinions about a Finnish rookie on the mainboard? :shakehead

WhiteTrashAmerican

WHY DID IT END
Nov 14, 2007
Durham, NC
I'm glad we're in the spot we are in with a great run....but it really sucks looking back and seeing some of the games we dropped in typical Canes fashion. Very much a long shot to make it in but I'll be there next Thursday HOPEFULLY still cheering on a miracle run

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

That would be my biggest concern with signing of Jagr as well. I still think he'd help this team, but lack of speed and fit vs. system would be the concern.

I wouldn't get too worked up about the worry that he'll fall off a cliff assuming it's a 1 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad