News and Notes Part 12: Malone scored enough to win us Hanifin

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
niclas wallin was never a top 4 defenseman

even playing for this sad franchise he never averaged 19 minutes per game. averaged under 17 per minutes a game during the seasons the team made the playoffs

he was a mediocre bottom pairing d who is remembered fondly for playoff goals

also, the game has changed quite a bit since aaron ward was a top 4 d. the slow defensive defensemen who can't move the puck are almost nonexistent in good teams' top 4s.
Wallin didn't have top 4 skills but he certainly did play in a top 4 role during his tenure. More a referendum on the lack of quality in the D corps but he was indeed utilized in that role. How can anyone forget the Gleason-Wallin "shutdown pair?" :amazed:

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Wallin didn't have top 4 skills but he certainly did play in a top 4 role during his tenure. More a referendum on the lack of quality in the D corps but he was indeed utilized in that role. How can anyone forget the Gleason-Wallin "shutdown pair?" :amazed:
RALEIGH - As practice wrapped up Wednesday, Carolina Hurricanes defensemen Niclas Wallin and Tim Gleason harassed teammate Chad LaRose along the boards, Gleason holding down his head and Wallin punching him in the chest before sandwiching him in a playful check.

These days, the defensive pairing of Wallin and Gleason is doing everything together, from shutting down Florida Panthers center Olli Jokinen on Tuesday -- the first time the Hurricanes have been able to keep him off the scoresheet this season -- to bullying LaRose.

"We might not be killers hitting guys, but that's our game, put our body in front of their guy," Wallin said.

"Even if we don't talk, I know where he is. That's the main thing."

Their synergy is a big reason the Hurricanes have allowed only nine goals in the past six games.

Both Wallin and Gleason are healthy for the first time this season, and they're feeding off each other, making better decisions with the puck and taking away time and space from the opposition's skill players.

Gleason, who will have the misfortune of spending his entire Carolina career playing under a thought bubble that reads, "I was traded for Jack Johnson," struggled with a shoulder problem and a broken foot in the first half of the season, while Wallin finally has moved beyond a persistent groin/hip problem.

With the Hurricanes playing with only six defensemen since Bret Hedican was hurt at the end of February, they have settled into three consistent pairings -- Glen Wesley and Mike Commodore is one, another Frantisek Kaberle and David Tanabe -- but Wallin and Gleason have benefited the most.

After seeing plenty of time against Jaromir Jagr and Jokinen in Carolina's past two games, that duo can expect to draw quite a few shifts against the New Jersey Devils' top line of Patrik Elias, Scott Gomez and Sergei Brylin tonight.

"We're similar players -- physical, in-your-face-type players and defensemen who can move the puck when we get the opportunity," Gleason said. "We know our objective every game: Shut down the top line. We want that top line every night. We don't want anyone else taking the top line. We know our jobs. We have to shut 'em down. And we've done that so far, knock on wood."
:laugh:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Biega probably shouldn't even be in camp tbh. Shouldn't have a contract.

We'll see. Kid was the captain of his team in college. His sophomore and junior years he put up nearly a point a game and over a point a game respectively. His senior year was marred a bit by injuries, but that Crimson squad was just a trainwreck.

My take is that he looked better than any other bottom pairing guy we had out there all year (yes, I know it was only 10 games) and was very, very poised for a guy on his first call up. Let's just see what happens in camp.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I love the diagonal line in that graph that runs from:

Ward - > Howard - > Bishop - > Fleury - > Schneider - > Price

It's like:

Awful - > Below Average - > Average - > p good - > v good - > :amazed:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's like:

Awful - > Below Average - > Average - > p good - > v good - > :amazed:

Ward(.910) --> Howard(.910) --> Bishop(.916) --> Fleury(.920) --> Schneider(.925) --> Price(.933)

So why did we need the fancy chart when plain old save % says the same thing? :sarcasm:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
That chart seems very specific:

"High Danger Save Percentage vs. Medium Danger Save Percentage Colored by Unadjusted Save Percentage, Sized by Time on Ice (Minutes)"

What determines what's "high danger" vs "medium danger" (vs, I'm assuming, low danger)? What determines when a save percentage is "unadjusted"?

Knowing nothing about those conditions, other than there seems to be a lot of them, and seeing that tweet with the chart above it, one could be inclined to say that the person who created that chart had already come to a conclusion about the Canes goaltending and simply adjusted the chart to match that conclusion.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

"High Danger Save Percentage vs. Medium Danger Save Percentage Colored by Unadjusted Save Percentage, Sized by Time on Ice (Minutes)"

What determines what's "high danger" vs "medium danger" (vs, I'm assuming, low danger)? What determines when a save percentage is "unadjusted"?

Knowing nothing about those conditions, other than there seems to be a lot of them, and seeing that tweet with the chart above it, one could be inclined to say that the person who created that chart had already come to a conclusion about the Canes goaltending and simply adjusted the chart to match that conclusion.

I get what you are saying, but I don't think it takes much "adjusting of charts" to match the conclusion that the Canes goaltending wasn't very good last year. I'm guessing pretty much any chart one could make would show that.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Ignore the color and size if that's confusing, the rest is pretty self explanatory. Seems like the "danger scale" is attempting to bring in shot quality similar to those other heatmap charts we're seeing more of. Certainly other factors play a part (defensive systems), but it makes a whole lot of sense. Got one for the prior season? Guessing Dobby might land a little southeast of Mason this year.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

Shot location determines what is high danger vs medium danger.

Unadjusted save percentage is normal even strength save percentage.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Shot location determines what is high danger vs medium danger.

Unadjusted save percentage is normal even strength save percentage.

Adding shot location is a step in the right direction.

But there is still more to the story.

Puck movement prior to the shot is very important...also the shot velocity and placement.

Within the next few years this additional data should become available to run a more complete statistical analysis of goalie performance.

In the mean time you can still look at things like positioning, movement, rebound control, and puck tracking for subjective evaluations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad