News Article: News and Note XXIX: The Jerks of Summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ok what? Waddell has the job but also he doesn't need a contract but also a contract is required by NHL bylaws?

I think it’s a non issue. A couple years ago, everyone was worried about not having another defenseman under contract and having to expose Faulk. Similar situation here imo. They work something out, whether that’s with Waddell or not.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It's also worth noting that he is one of many candidates. He may never even get to the point of exchanging monetary numbers or get close to getting the job. This also has to in some ways build a bit loyalty if he stays, just that we're letting him explore opportunities.

At the end of the day, if it comes down to paying players or front office and coaches, I'm glad we're in the business of paying players now.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
Whether Waddell is genuinely interested in the Wild job or using it as leverage to get a contract out of Dundon is immaterial; it should never have gotten to the point where front-office dysfunction became a distraction from everything the Hurricanes have accomplished over the past four months.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports...ke-decock/article233585707.html#storylink=cpy

I just disagree with this analysis. It's only "front-office dysfunction" because it's not how other organizations operate. Now, if Waddell leaves and whoever Dundon hires is a dumpster fire and things get into a tailspin, DeCock will have an argument. But it isn't dysfunction just because it's not how things are normally done. And it certainly doesn't seem to be a distraction to Waddell or Dundon and it certainly hasn't stopped them from operating the team.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think he’s gone, and maybe that was the plan the whole time. Who knows or cares?

If we start making bad moves then fine, but we’ve made good moves this season.

We thought the same with Darling of course, time will tell.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm fine with Dundon being Mark Cuban because even Cuban works with a GM who knows the business of the NBA. DW knows the business of the NHL and I can admit he's much better at this than I was willing to believe. Having just one guy as opposed to 8 has to be a huge weight taken off his shoulders.

I don't want Dundon to turn into Jerry Jones. That doesn't have the makings of a happy relationship between team, community, and fans. The Cowboys can get away with it to some extent, this franchise IMO is nowhere near that.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Waddell didn't even want to be GM *here* and now he's going to leave for another GM job? And one that's a legit mess like Minnesota? I don't even think he's a fit up there, but he may get an offer just because that's how the old guard works. He's a hot commodity based on last season's results, but I can't imagine anybody in Minnesota *really* thinking Don Waddell is the guy to clean up after Paul Fenton. How much GMing did he even do here?

Is it really all about money? If so, I'm sure Minny will offer him significantly more, but again, I can't imagine them thinking Don Waddell is the answer. I think it's unique that another active GM is up for an open GM position, but aside from sticking it to Carolina, I just don't see why Waddell would be the guy for them.

This is all legit fascinating, that's for sure.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm fine with Dundon being Mark Cuban because even Cuban works with a GM who knows the business of the NBA. DW knows the business of the NHL and I can admit he's much better at this than I was willing to believe. Having just one guy as opposed to 8 has to be a huge weight taken off his shoulders.

I don't want Dundon to turn into Jerry Jones. That doesn't have the makings of a happy relationship between team, community, and fans. The Cowboys can get away with it to some extent, this franchise IMO is nowhere near that.

Jerry Jones was a star running back in college and was co-captain of the 1964 National Champion Arkansas Razorbacks, where Jimmy Johnson was his teammate. He gets a lot of shit, but he can at least make the case that he knows football.

It doesn't seem to me that TD has any illusions about having a comparable amount of knowledge about hockey. But he does know how to run a business, and if he wants to run it his way, so be it.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Waddell didn't even want to be GM *here* and now he's going to leave for another GM job? And one that's a legit mess like Minnesota? I don't even think he's a fit up there, but he may get an offer just because that's how the old guard works. He's a hot commodity based on last season's results, but I can't imagine anybody in Minnesota *really* thinking Don Waddell is the guy to clean up after Paul Fenton. How much GMing did he even do here?

Is it really all about money? If so, I'm sure Minny will offer him significantly more, but again, I can't imagine them thinking Don Waddell is the answer. I think it's unique that another active GM is up for an open GM position, but aside from sticking it to Carolina, I just don't see why Waddell would be the guy for them.

This is all legit fascinating, that's for sure.

Right! I think this is TD calling his bluff. "Don, this situation is perfect for you. You worked three days a week, and I paid you for working three days a week. You want to go work seven days a week and get paid for it, cleaning up after that hot mess? That's your choice. If that's what you want, remember us kindly when you're shoveling your driveway in St. Paul next January, thinking about how to unload Victor Rask again."

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Whether Waddell is genuinely interested in the Wild job or using it as leverage to get a contract out of Dundon is immaterial; it should never have gotten to the point where front-office dysfunction became a distraction from everything the Hurricanes have accomplished over the past four months.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/sports...ke-decock/article233585707.html#storylink=cpy

I just disagree with this analysis. It's only "front-office dysfunction" because it's not how other organizations operate. Now, if Waddell leaves and whoever Dundon hires is a dumpster fire and things get into a tailspin, DeCock will have an argument. But it isn't dysfunction just because it's not how things are normally done. And it certainly doesn't seem to be a distraction to Waddell or Dundon and it certainly hasn't stopped them from operating the team.
I think the big point here was that all this drama and the "I don't believe in contracts" thing is for nothing, since he is REQUIRED to have a GM under contract by the NHL. Did DW or someone not explain that to him? You can have your own preferences all day long about things you can control, but you have to work within the NHL bylaws if you want to own an NHL team. I also think if DW does leave, other good GM candidates are not going to be lining up at TD's door to work for him after hearing this latest saga. But that will be for him to solve.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I think the big point here was that all this drama and the "I don't believe in contracts" thing is for nothing, since his is REQUIRED to have a GM under contract by the NHL. Did DW or someone not explain that to him? You can have your own preferences all day long about things you can control, but you have to work within the NHL bylaws if you want to own an NHL team. I also think if DW does leave, other good GM candidates are not going to be lining up at TD's door to work for him after hearing this latest saga. But that will be for him to solve.
This could very well be interpreted as "I believe in a series of one year contracts."

Either way, this seems like Luke stirring the pot to me, and it's whatever. It's interesting that I haven't really even thought seriously about his opinion since Sara Civian came along.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Waddell deserves a lot of props for what he did with the team in his short time as the GM but we've gotta remember he still doesn't have the best track record before this so if some team wants to pay him like he's Scotty Bowman after one good season then go ahead.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Well, if DW goes to the Wild, we could always bring back Fenton for another interview or maybe kick the tires on Chiarelli.

Reactions: jayhamm

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Right! I think this is TD calling his bluff. "Don, this situation is perfect for you. You worked three days a week, and I paid you for working three days a week. You want to go work seven days a week and get paid for it, cleaning up after that hot mess? That's your choice. If that's what you want, remember us kindly when you're shoveling your driveway in St. Paul next January, thinking about how to unload Victor Rask again."

At the end of the day, he's Don Freakin' Waddell. We're not talking about Lou Lamoriello, here. Like a player who had a career year on Gretzky's wing, he's a product of the system. He's not fixing anything in Minnesota. And you've got to believe he knows that, at least a little. I don't think it was about calling his bluff, so much as just allowing an employee to explore his options. Dundon thinks he's created a winning situation here for Waddell and that that will be worth more than money to him.

But in the end, he's still Don Freakin' Waddell and he's eminently replaceable.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
This could very well be interpreted as "I believe in a series of one year contracts."

Either way, this seems like Luke stirring the pot to me, and it's whatever. It's interesting that I haven't really even thought seriously about his opinion since Sara Civian came along.

You can also write a contract that states that term is not fixed and employment is at will, but proscribing salary and the like.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Do we have specifics on these bylaws? In Luke's article it doesn't specify whether it's any given month, or the end of August for some reason which would be odd (I guess training camp month related?).

Would an interim GM, which could literally and quite easily be anyone, suffice if it comes to it?

As mentioned, what really constitutes a contract?

After Fenton was fired, I think it was one of the Russo articles that just mentioned getting a GM in place by like camp, so what's different there? That they have an interim GM?

Lots of interesting questions and scenarios.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
It's crazy how Ken Holland getting a big deal with Edmonton is the way it's supposed to be while an innovative group think process to GM related decisions is called cheap and dumb. Ken Holland is so overrated and I've felt that most of my life. The Red Wings had amazing international scouts before every team was doing it and also had superstars lining up to sign cheap contracts. It's not like he was a GM who made great trades, signed free agents who ended up being steals, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad