New York City Thread: Part IV (Info in OP)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Anyone know a good bar in Manhattan to watch the draft at tonight?
I honestly don’t know that any bar is advertising they’ll have the draft on but I’m sure you can ask them to put it on

Bars like Downtown Social in the EV or Amity Hall in Greenwich were some of the bars who partnered with the team for playoff watch alongs, so those could be options

Reactions: CutOnDime97

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I’m not really sure where to post this. I remember seeing some people discuss their msg sphere in Las Vegas. Anyway it debuted the outer shell last night.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I used to live here. I don’t anymore. I’m here for the weekend.

How do I get my kids to the top of a tall building without paying out the ass and/or waiting in a ridiculous line?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
So there is a Bleecker St pizza and a John's of Bleecker St pizza eh?
Yes...Bleecker Street sells slices. More of a what most consider a traditional NY slice.

John's of Bleecker is a sit down place where they sell whole pies that are baked in an outdated coal oven. It is up there for the best pizza in NYC, if not the world. If you plan to go, the line can be long during the dinner rush, & all day on weekends. If you head there at 2-3pm during a weekday, you can usually get seated immediately.

Joe's Pizza is around the corner from John's & used to be my favorite slice of pizza in the city. They've expanded the past few years & their quality control has suffered. If you catch them on a good day, it can still be very good.

All 3 of these places are within a 5 minute walk from one another.

Reactions: RosensRug

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Yes...Bleecker Street sells slices. More of a what most consider a traditional NY slice.

John's of Bleecker is a sit down place where they sell whole pies that are baked in an outdated coal oven. It is up there for the best pizza in NYC, if not the world. If you plan to go, the line can be long during the dinner rush, & all day on weekends. If you head there at 2-3pm during a weekday, you can usually get seated immediately.

Joe's Pizza is around the corner from John's & used to be my favorite slice of pizza in the city. They've expanded the past few years & their quality control has suffered. If you catch them on a good day, it can still be very good.

All 3 of these places are within a 5 minute walk from one another.

I'll be in NYC for a week but staying in Brooklyn... I really need to narrow down just which pizza places to try outside of just slices.

Lucalis or John's iyo?

Also I've heard from some friends about Rays candy store...I have a sweet tooth good stop or tourist trap?

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I'll be in NYC for a week but staying in Brooklyn... I really need to narrow down just which pizza places to try outside of just slices.

Lucalis or John's iyo?

Also I've heard from some friends about Rays candy store...I have a sweet tooth good stop or tourist trap?
If you're going to be in downtown Manhattan at all, go to John's regardless of what else you have planned. It's pizza mecca & NEVER disappoints.

I've not made it to Lucali yet. I've read & been told good things, but the line & the wait can be prohibitive from what I hear. They're only open limited hours from 5-9, I believe, so you could try getting there before they open to stake out a spot.

Giuseppina's, also in Brooklyn makes a similar pizza to Lucali, as I believe the owners are related. No hype, no line to wait in. So that might be a good compromise.

Juliana's under the Manhattan bridge in DUMBO is another of the old school sit down pizzeria's. It used to be the original Grimaldi's, but when Grimaldi's was sold, the new owners expanded into a new location down the street. The original Grimadli's owners then opened Juliana's in their original location. Unfortunately, another place that can have long lines as the interior is tiny.

I will say if you're in Brooklyn, Best Pizza in Williamsburg has to be on your list. They make an amazing round pie, but the grandma alone is worth the trip. I'm sure you have a bunch of other places lined up, but you'd be remiss not to give Best a shot.
I could type you a zillion pizza recommendations, but it's hard to narrow it down with so many options.

Can't help with the candy place...not my thing.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
If you're going to be in downtown Manhattan at all, go to John's regardless of what else you have planned. It's pizza mecca & NEVER disappoints.

I've not made it to Lucali yet. I've read & been told good things, but the line & the wait can be prohibitive from what I hear. They're only open limited hours from 5-9, I believe, so you could try getting there before they open to stake out a spot.

Giuseppina's, also in Brooklyn makes a similar pizza to Lucali, as I believe the owners are related. No hype, no line to wait in. So that might be a good compromise.

Juliana's under the Manhattan bridge in DUMBO is another of the old school sit down pizzeria's. It used to be the original Grimaldi's, but when Grimaldi's was sold, the new owners expanded into a new location down the street. The original Grimadli's owners then opened Juliana's in their original location. Unfortunately, another place that can have long lines as the interior is tiny.

I will say if you're in Brooklyn, Best Pizza in Williamsburg has to be on your list. They make an amazing round pie, but the grandma alone is worth the trip. I'm sure you have a bunch of other places lined up, but you'd be remiss not to give Best a shot.
I could type you a zillion pizza recommendations, but it's hard to narrow it down with so many options.

Can't help with the candy place...not my thing.

Alright, I will sit down at John's for sure.

Gonna try L&B and probably Luigi's in Brooklyn for some slices... then John Deli.

What about some good Thai spots?

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Alright, I will sit down at John's for sure.

Gonna try L&B and probably Luigi's in Brooklyn for some slices... then John Deli.

What about some good Thai spots?
You might be letdown at both of those pizza places in Brooklyn. They are both good, but DiFara & Best are better options, IMO. Both DiFara & Best have great square options which are incredible. L&B has taken a bit of a step down since their owner died prematurely.

John's Deli looks a good spot...never been, however.

Thai, I can't speak to. I haven't eaten it enough to have a strong enough opinion.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

Lucalis or John's iyo?

If you’re in Coney Island try totonno’s and if in midwood try di faras original location. I’m not sure it matters anymore after dom passed away but I wasn’t impressed by the other locations.

The only added location I liked was John’s in paulus hook NJ (this is Times Square John’s) but I think it closed .

That Being said we can be pizza snobs but most pizza in the area is going to be pretty good so it’s up to you how much effort to put in to try the more famous locations. I don’t bother anymore.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020

Lucalis or John's iyo?

Ray's is cool if you want an egg cream or some nostalgia. I wouldn't make a trip to the east village just for Rays though. Try to work it in with a stop at McSorleys or something else in the area.

In terms of Pizza everything mentioned the last few days in this thread is spot on. John's is my favorite spot in manhattan and consistently hits every time I go.

Faiccos italian specialties down the street is a great spot for sandwiches at lunch. If you like italian or roast beef heros you won't be disappointed.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Ray's is cool if you want an egg cream or some nostalgia. I wouldn't make a trip to the east village just for Rays though. Try to work it in with a stop at McSorleys or something else in the area.

In terms of Pizza everything mentioned the last few days in this thread is spot on. John's is my favorite spot in manhattan and consistently hits every time I go.

Faiccos italian specialties down the street is a great spot for sandwiches at lunch. If you like italian or roast beef heros you won't be disappointed.

John's was amazing, I bought a shirt

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
If you’re in Coney Island try totonno’s and if in midwood try di faras original location. I’m not sure it matters anymore after dom passed away but I wasn’t impressed by the other locations.

The only added location I liked was John’s in paulus hook NJ (this is Times Square John’s) but I think it closed .

That Being said we can be pizza snobs but most pizza in the area is going to be pretty good so it’s up to you how much effort to put in to try the more famous locations. I don’t bother anymore.
Just an FYI, it looks like Totonno's just reopened after a 3 year Covid hiatus. Unfortunately it says they are take out only, which really sucks. Coal oven pizza stuffed in a cardboard box just isn't the same.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
I always hated Totonno’s anyway so this means nothing to me.

Apparently a DiFara’s location just opened by me. I used to live two blocks from the original location when I was younger so if this is anywhere near as good, it can be a game changer for me now. For the most part, pizza near downtown Brooklyn isn’t great.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I always hated Totonno’s anyway so this means nothing to me.

Apparently a DiFara’s location just opened by me. I used to live two blocks from the original location when I was younger so if this is anywhere near as good, it can be a game changer for me now. For the most part, pizza near downtown Brooklyn isn’t great.
Don't count on it. Their two Vegas locations are not great. Dom wanted nothing to do with opening multiple locations & his kids basically forced his hand. They went for the money (can't blame them), but had zero oversight on the product...& it's clear as day when you bite into a slice out there. The neighborhood location was edible, the one on the Strip was complete trash. Think Dominoes as a comparison.

Since the local NY satellites are within their purview, maybe they will be involved the day to day & the pizza will be decent. Report back with your findings! Although lot of it has to do with that 60 year old oven, however.

How could you hate Totonno's, btw? I think it's excellent...or at least it was back when I lived in the city.

Reactions: Kane One

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3