New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
So as I am in town currently, will I be able to watch the Rangers game on Tuesday at Standings, . 43 E 7th St? Or is there an alternative?

My sleeping location is in Williamsburg.

Thx guys

Standings should have a TV dedicated to the game. If for whatever reason not, then take a short walk over to 13th Step.

Reactions: Realize

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
Also forgot, I do want to bring my car. The job I will have requires travel throughout metro NYC. As well, I'd like to be able to get out of town on occasion.

Thus, I do NOT need the car for my day to day activities in the city.
I only need the car for trips which are outside the city.
I wanted to know, given my purposes:

1) Are there any affordable car storage lots in NYC or nearby?
-I assume Manhattan is out of the question but Brooklyn/Queens or even NJ/Westchester.

2) I think if I can find a convenient, affordable storage lot nearby, this would be cheaper than renting a zipper or whatnot...not to mention more convenient.

I moved to Jersey City (Paulus Hook) in August after living in Manhattan for 5+ years. I still commute to midtown every day via Path and subway. I just got a car last week to make it easier to travel around outside of Jersey City. Garages are cheaper than Manhattan but still expensive out here (I'm not sure what your definition of affordable is but expect $250/month or more). Note that you can park on the street for about $15 a year as long as you register your car to your apartment and get NJ plates. You have to worry about alternative side street cleaning twice a week though. My girlfriend and I really enjoy living in Jersey City. I don't think I'd recommend it for someone who is just moving to the city as you will miss out on the experience of living in NYC (if you are looking for that). When we moved we were very tired of Manhattan and enjoy the more peaceful/relaxed/clean environment over here where we don't have to be harassed by the always increasing homeless population on a daily basis. Working in Manhattan you'll always be subject to things on the way to work though. For instance, I saw a fist fight on the E train this morning.

Last edited:

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
I'm trying to find a place for myself, and don't want to spend more time researching or money paying a broker than I need to.
Thus far I have been:
-Using Streeteasy, apartments.com, and craigslist
-Also been in touch with a few realtors

From what I have been told, realtors have access to everything, and that streeteasy is not trustworthy since they began charging agents to post adds.
Moreover most of the stuff is out of date, and even if it says no fee, the fee is built in.

Obviously it'd be easier for me to just leave everything to the broker instead of searching a bunch of websites and contacting dozens of postings, but I wanted to make sure this was the case.
I don't want to be lazy and pay more, or inefficient and spend too much time and stress needless.

Look on Zillow.com for rentals. That's how I found my current place.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Try long island city. It's a 5 minute subway ride from midtown manhattan. You can literally walk there too. It is in the midst of a massive renaissance and plenty of parking space. But do it now before the real estate skyrockets. There is a new skyscraper being erected every 2 seconds. Also try Hudson Yards on the west side of manhattan. It is also a growing neighborhood which is going to be huge in 5 years time. You can still find apartments for under 2 grand there. Or try Sunnyside Gardens. Very homely, yet urban and 15 mins from midtown. Also Sunnyside proper, but south of 46th st is cool. And its right next to Greenpoint and Williamsburg Brooklyn. It's the neighborhood directly next to LIC on the 7 train. Plenty of inexpensive parking space too. Rent is cheaper too yet the neighborhood is clean.

jwelles17

Apr 23, 2012
Anyone ever eat at the Club Bar and Grill? My tickets next week have access to the place but I can't find a menu or anything.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I am moving to NYC next month (UES).
I am looking to get involved with other young 30s people like myself.
Any dek or roller hockey leagues to recommend?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Just signed a lease for a studio in Manhattan. I am moving from out of state in 2.5 weeks and would love to get some help deciding how to design so I know what I need to buy and move...keeping in mind I am on budget.
Wondering if any of you have anybody in mind you could offer as a referral. Thanks.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Best budget furniture sources imo are:

Overstock.com
Wayfair.com
IKEA
Target
Allmodern.com

Go to Apartmentherapy.com for inspiration and ideas. Their digital tours are very useful.

Good luck!

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Thanks, I have a lot of furniture already.
I'm trying to figure out what to bring and how to arrange, before I buy anything.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Looks like Suffolk is going to get hammered. Nassau is going to get hit as well but not as bad off the latest report.

You know things are getting serious when you hear the term "bomb cyclone" being thrown around. But it's apparently a real thing that is about to cause some major problems up and down the East Coast.

Essentially a winter hurricane, the "bomb cyclone" is
expected to form off the coast of Florida on Wednesday, according to the Washington Post. Parts of northern Florida are under a winter storm warning, the first such warning issued in Florida in nearly four years.

Snow arrives on Long Island early Thursday. The worst of the storm is expected to hit parts of New England, but snow total estimates continue to rise locally.
Stay tuned for updates on the storm and sign up for Patch news and weather alerts if you aren't already subscribed.

A winter storm watch will be in effect all day Thursday for Suffolk County, where 5-8 inches of snow is likely to accumulate. Near-blizzard conditions are possib Nassau County is expected to see 4-6 inches of snow and wind gusts could also approach 40 mph along the coast.

There's about a 40-50 percent chance of more than six inches of snow accumulating across the island. There's a 10 percent chance of a foot of snow or more, according to the latest snowfall total estimate maps from the National Weather Service.

What does that all mean: incredibly poor visibility on the roadways. It's almost a guarantee at this point that most local schools will either be closed or dismissed early on Thursday.

The snow should end by Thursday night, but it won't be melting anytime soon. The high temperature on Friday will be around 15 degrees. It will be even colder on Saturday with a high near 11. The predicted wind chill temperature at 8 a.m. Saturday: 15 degrees below zero.

le in Suffolk during the afternoon and evening as winds gust up to 40 mph, causing blowing and drifting snow.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I am moving to NYC next month (UES).
I am looking to get involved with other young 30s people like myself.
Any dek or roller hockey leagues to recommend?
I know there's a roller rink on like 96th and 1st ave. If you're gonna be UES, I suppose I'd start looking there.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Madison Square Garden like you've never seen it before! Thanks to the one who posted it, i just failed to quote you @IamNotADancer
This is quite cool, just found me at the devils - rangers game from last Saturday :-D.
Great atmosphere, great experience.. just awseome

Did you notice that you can see almost everyone, including fat dolan (10/5 section 107 row 3):

BTFOXBG.jpg

But that they whited out every single person sitting on the glass?

NhtGxH9.jpg

And yes that's intentional, because they left the glass behind the benches clear, and the reflection of the ice would not naturally white out the picture from the camera angle. You can actually see the mask they used that starts to the left and right of the bench areas

Realize

Did you notice that you can see almost everyone, including fat dolan (10/5 section 107 row 3):

BTFOXBG.jpg

NhtGxH9.jpg

And yes that's intentional, because they left the glass behind the benches clear, and the reflection of the ice would not naturally white out the picture from the camera angle. You can actually see the mask they used that starts to the left and right of the bench areas

Haha, no I did not notice that :-P

What I noticed (and this was worth paying 170 bucks for the game!) is that the advertisement which is on the glas behind the goal while watching the games on MSG are some kind of AR .. which is quite interesting ;)

That big fat drone which was flying through the arena at the beginning was awesome as well. And that guy behind me, which won the autographed stick :D

artificialintuition

Nov 21, 2017

NhtGxH9.jpg

I did notice that. I had the opportunity to sit on the glass a few weeks back (section 12 fwiw), and I later looked for myself when someone brought up this link.

I noticed *some* seats were visible when I checked for another game--and I don't think it was just the ones behind the bench. Made me think that while it might not have been a full reflection, perhaps there was a distortion that made people look unfavorable, so they cleaned it up for that reason. I dunno.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
NYC Boat show is at the Javits this week. Shows seems to get a little smaller every year. Guess less and less people are spending a million dollars on a center console!

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Hello guys. We are going to New York from Washington by car between 4th a 6th of February and then staying in New York for one week. Can anybody advice me some good weather forcast including possible snow storm allerts? I know its often very cold but I would like to avoid some crazy stuff on the road:) Thank you very much.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Hello guys. We are going to New York from Washington by car between 4th a 6th of February and then staying in New York for one week. Can anybody advice me some good weather forcast including possible snow storm allerts? I know its often very cold but I would like to avoid some crazy stuff on the road:) Thank you very much.
just go to weather.com, type in new york,ny and pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad