New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'm pretty sure the smell you're talking about is restaurant trash. They dump mountains of garbage bags on the curb every night that leak oils and food waste and it seeps into the sidewalk cement. The carting trucks pick up the bags but the residue is still there and then when you get 90-100 degree heat it just bakes and festers. Starbucks & McDonalds are some of the worst offenders

What you're telling me makes so much more sense than what somebody told me about the stench being related to the sub.

The subs in Manhattan for the most part smell like roses compared to the garbage on the streets.

Any idea if they are talking about how and if to solve that problem?

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
What you're telling me makes so much more sense than what somebody told me about the stench being related to the sub.

The subs in Manhattan for the most part smell like roses compared to the garbage on the streets.

Any idea if they are talking about how and if to solve that problem?
0.000% talking about it, everyone just accepts it as part of living in NYC. I'm sure they'll come around to it one day as a quality of life issue. Some restaurants are responsible about it they bleach the sidewalk on a regular basis - especially the ones with sidewalk cafes. Places like McDonald's could not care less they're too busy selling as may Big Macs as possible

Reactions: IamNotADancer

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I fondly remember Bloomberg telling us he was going to get rid of the chop shops near citifield. I had the displeasure of taking an uber home from citi recently and the driver went via 37th ave and there are still some pieces of road in a sea of potholes. I thought the car was going to roll over it was so bad.

Nothing will happen.

Ruling May Be Death Knell for $3 Billion Queens Development
What do you mean? Almost all the chop shops have been removed. The project may be stalled but the clearing of the shops is mostly done

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Hey guys, apologies if this is the wrong thread or been answered before, but I couldn't find anything.

So I recently moved backed to NY after many years in LA. At the moment, I'm only here for 5 months, so I'm subletting. Well, one of the most exciting parts of moving back was being able to watch all the Rangers, Knicks, Yankees, Giants games possible. Unfortunately the sublet I'm in doesn't have cable, but does have Apple TV.

My question is, does anyone know the best way to maximize watching local NY teams (in NY) without having cable? FuboTV seems like it might be best option, as it would seem to include MSG, MSG+, YES and the various major football network channels. And it's only 20$ for 2 months at the moment.

But I'm just completely unfamiliar with which channels exclusively broadcast which teams, and which games are then blacked out on 0ther channels. I'm hoping to avoid, for example, paying an app like NBAtv, only to find that for some reason all Knicks games are actually blacked out if I'm in NY. Or if I split CenterIce with a friend, I'm pretty sure it will black out Rangers games 'cause I'm in NY?

I'm aware of the possibility of streaming from my computer to the TV, but I'm working fairly long hours and prefer the option of being able to start the games later when I get home, or even the next day.

Hope that makes some kind of sense, and I really appreciate any help!

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
MLB, NHL and NBA networks (and centerice) will all blackout local games live though I believe they give you the ability to watch games on a delay (not sure about the details). You will always get Giant (and Jets) games on local TV channels which you don't need cable for (though you may need an antenna), even if the games are broadcast by ESPN or NFL network. MSG and Yes have shown games on delay but not sure if they were available last season. I don't think Fubo TV will cost $20/month and include local sports channels unless you have a nice promo which you should share. :)

Reactions: ponzu4u

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
You won't be able to get local games if you are using one of the League packages. IF Fubo tv carries SNY (Mets), YES (yankees and Nets), MSG (Rangers, Isles, Devils, Knicks) you should get the games, but make sure you verify the games are available on those stations through the service.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
MLB, NHL and NBA networks (and centerice) will all blackout local games live though I believe they give you the ability to watch games on a delay (not sure about the details). You will always get Giant (and Jets) games on local TV channels which you don't need cable for (though you may need an antenna), even if the games are broadcast by ESPN or NFL network. MSG and Yes have shown games on delay but not sure if they were available last season. I don't think Fubo TV will cost $20/month and include local sports channels unless you have a nice promo which you should share. :)
When I had the MLB package, I could watch Mets and Yankees games about 5 minutes after they ended. I believe with the NHL package, you have to wait about 48 hours for local and national telecasts. That includes a game shown on NHL network but using one of the local feeds of the participating teams.

Using an antenna is not that simple. First off, indoor atennas generally, are terrible.. I have an outdoor antenna, for the most part works great. Only issue is FOX in HD is terrible along with channel 9 in SD. (5-1 and 9-2). If he is subletting, probably can't install an outdoor antenna. I could probably reattach mine onto the roof instead of the side of my house and get better reception, but do not have the desire to do so. Also, hard to find a professional nowadays to install for you.Only one I knew of was Antenna King in Brooklyn, but I think they are pretty much out of business. When I called them when I was buying my house 4 years ago, they were only doing installations 3 days a week and last time I drove by their office, it looked like it was vacant. I could be wrong on that one.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Really appreciate the responses, guys. Sounds like I gotta make some calls and do a little more research, then I'll check back in with my findings. But didn't want anyone to think I was just taking the info and bailing.

And yes, I had the same problem with CenterIce in LA. When the Rangers played the Kings I had to wait at least 24, or maybe even 48 hours to re-watch the game via Center Ice.

I'm planning on grabbing one of those free digital cable antennas regardless. I've never had great success with them but it may come in handy in a pinch, and at this point they go for like 15$.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Really appreciate the responses, guys. Sounds like I gotta make some calls and do a little more research, then I'll check back in with my findings. But didn't want anyone to think I was just taking the info and bailing.

And yes, I had the same problem with CenterIce in LA. When the Rangers played the Kings I had to wait at least 24, or maybe even 48 hours to re-watch the game via Center Ice.

I'm planning on grabbing one of those free digital cable antennas regardless. I've never had great success with them but it may come in handy in a pinch, and at this point they go for like 15$.

From what I've read, you get MSG via fubotv as well as a login for the MSG app.

It seems like you can watch live sports on MSG in NY, but you may have to log onto the MSG app to do so.

Not positive though.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
.Only one I knew of was Antenna King in Brooklyn, but I think they are pretty much out of business. When I called them when I was buying my house 4 years ago, they were only doing installations 3 days a week and last time I drove by their office, it looked like it was vacant. I could be wrong on that one.

Talk about a blast from the past! Their place right off the BQE was a landmark with the huge satellite dishes on the roof. Can't believe they hung on as long as they did.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Standing in a subway car without air conditioning, held because of a switch malfunction. But thank goodness the trains run between 2 and 5 am.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
My favorite is when there is clearly air conditioning running, but people actively open the windows. Great times.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Standing in a subway car without air conditioning, held because of a switch malfunction. But thank goodness the trains run between 2 and 5 am.
How was it in NY this summer? We had hot weather records in May, June, and July in south Norway - so hot and dry here and they speculate it will be similar weather next year! And that means no point travel south to Spain in the summer period on vacation. :)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
How was it in NY this summer? We had hot weather records in May, June, and July in south Norway - so hot and dry here and they speculate it will be similar weather next year! And that means no point travel south to Spain in the summer period on vacation. :)

Climate change is not real. Don't worry about those Norwegians complaining about the heat. It's just "weather". There's another ice age on the horizon.

Summer in DC had been absolutely terrible. Humidity, which is to be expected, but with essentially no respite. Periods of compete drought followed by day after day of pouring rain (3"+/day).

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Climate change is not real. Don't worry about those Norwegians complaining about the heat. It's just "weather". There's another ice age on the horizon.

sea-temperature.png

Current Global Sea Temperature - August 2018
JYBuMZD.jpg

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Summer in DC had been absolutely terrible. Humidity, which is to be expected, but with essentially no respite. Periods of compete drought followed by day after day of pouring rain (3"+/day).
Dude, it’s been brutal. Today being 85 degrees with 75% humidity actually felt like a relief compared to these past 6-8 weeks.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Hey Rangers board I didnt know where to post this so I'll just post it here. Do any of you know of a service I can contact that can handle getting me a pizza from NYC shipped to Toronto? My girls favourite pizza place is in NYC and I really want to get her one.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
why would you want stale pizza
If it means that much to you we can freeze one for you and ship it packed in dry ice but something tells me Canada customs is going to have something to say about it....

Last edited:

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Hey Rangers board I didnt know where to post this so I'll just post it here. Do any of you know of a service I can contact that can handle getting me a pizza from NYC shipped to Toronto? My girls favourite pizza place is in NYC and I really want to get her one.

Try calling the restaurant. Hey, ya never know.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
why would you want stale pizza
If it means that much to you we can free one for you and ship it packed in dry ice but something tells me Canada customs is going to have something to say about it....

That is basically what I am looking for and no it's fine with customs.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Try calling the restaurant. Hey, ya never know.

Whoops I forgot to multi quote but ya I did contact them the manager said she would do it for me but she stopped responding to my emails a week ago so in a last ditch effort I came to the rangers board to seek ideas lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad