Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Chief Ranger, May 12, 2017.

1. IamNotADancer

IamNotADancer Registered User

Here's a question for residents of Manhattan or those that know a bit about this topic.

I've been to many big cities all over the world and New York/Manhattan is still my favorite to visit even though it isn't the "best" city in certain aspects. But as always that sort of thing is very subjective.

That being said, the one thing that has always bothered me about Manhattan is the disgusting stench which comes from subway/sewers(?) and permeates through almost the entire city.

Are there any plans to battle the stink of rotting rat carcasses and dumpster? Can you even battle it?

There's nothing like the stench of death on a hot summers day in downtown Manhattan. If I didn't love this town so much I'd stay away from it for that one reason.

2. Don Chytil

Don Chytil Registered User

It's like when you get onto the wrong subway car. And you're like, oh wow this smells awful. But you can't get off until the next stop which is like 5 minutes away, so you just try to hold your breath. But then 2 minutes in, your nose adjusts, and somehow the smell seems like it's mostly gone away?

Yeah.. living in NYC is like that for me. After a few years, you barely remember the smell is there :laugh:

Sarge13 likes this.
  3. sbjnyc

sbjnyc Registered User

I'm a lifelong NYer. What you're telling me is that the odor I smell when I leave NYC is the absence of rotting rat carcasses? :D

FultonReed likes this.
  4. silverfish

silverfish Not a GM

Mistakes you only need to make once: Getting on the empty subway car during peak times.

5. What Door

What Door Violent Delights -> Violent Ends

Dude, I think I have stench memory, because I just shuddered.

I've lived down in Atlanta for the past 5 years, and I take the train to work, which is mostly above-ground. Rainy days are always a gamble, because the cars can get invaded by a homeless person or two trying to escape the rain, and they always smell like death. A drop of rain and it's like all the BO, piss, and excrement get re-hydrated into a death cloud.

6. Lindberg Cheese

Lindberg Cheese Report to Carousel

Hahaha, love this. It’s not because people at prior stops are idiots and like to jam into other cars

7. Blueshirt Special

Blueshirt Special Shady Brey

IT/Telecom
    Home Page:
    Seeking advice on the best way to travel (park?) to Citi Field for Dead & Co. concert tonight from North New Jersey. Is the best way just to take mass transit to Manhattan and get on the #7? is driving in from Jersey feasible? Parking?

Thanks in advance.

8. Irishguy42

Irishguy42 Registered User Sponsor

From my experience, the best bet would be to take the 7 from Times Sq/42nd St station (Port Authority attaches).

There is a TON of rush hour traffic going out to Queens, be it on the 7, the LIRR, or driving. Packed no matter what you do. I find that taking the 7 is the easiest way to navigate the traffic. Is the LIRR even going to drop off at Citi Field for the concert? I'd check that too.

IMO, my preferred order would be:
    1. Taking the 7 to the second-to-last stop (Mets-Willets Point)
    2. LIRR (Great Neck/Port Washington line depending on when you're going into the city)
    3. Driving

You'll be able to get onto a local/express 7 a lot faster than you'll pick up a Great Neck/Port Washington train. And the ride is only ~40 minutes with no delays. Express isn't exponentially faster, but it's express. Citi Field is the second to last stop regardless of what you take.

But then again, I don't come from the NJ direction, and I know busses/trains to and from NJ can be a pain scheduling-wise (my coworkers complain about it ALL the time).

This is just my opinion :dunno:

9. East Coast Bias

East Coast Bias Registered User

LIRR is 15 mins Penn to Citi (Mets Willets Pt stop). It’s easy and runs like 5-6 times an hour on the Port Washington line. The trickier part is getting to Penn. if you’re comfortable getting to Penn on NJ transit, it’s an easy switch then.

Most of the Bergen trains pass thru Seacacus and you’ll have to switch. Not the worst going out to the game, but sucks coming home. Check the schedule late night to make sure they have late enough trains to your stop.

The train is doable, its just about how familiar you are with the routes.

10. Edge

Edge Kris King's Ghost

Two mass transit options:

Taking NJ Transit in to Penn and then catching the LIRR to Mets Willets Pt. (Seacacus is where I usually park).

Taking NJ Transit to Penn, catch the 1,2 or 3 up to Times Square and then switch to the 7 and take it out to Citi.

11. Blueshirt Special

Blueshirt Special Shady Brey

IT/Telecom
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the help! Looks like we are going Bus to Port Authority and then the #7!