New York City Thread: Part III (Info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Here's a question for residents of Manhattan or those that know a bit about this topic.

I've been to many big cities all over the world and New York/Manhattan is still my favorite to visit even though it isn't the "best" city in certain aspects. But as always that sort of thing is very subjective.

That being said, the one thing that has always bothered me about Manhattan is the disgusting stench which comes from subway/sewers(?) and permeates through almost the entire city.

Are there any plans to battle the stink of rotting rat carcasses and dumpster? Can you even battle it?

There's nothing like the stench of death on a hot summers day in downtown Manhattan. If I didn't love this town so much I'd stay away from it for that one reason.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Here's a question for residents of Manhattan or those that know a bit about this topic.

I've been to many big cities all over the world and New York/Manhattan is still my favorite to visit even though it isn't the "best" city in certain aspects. But as always that sort of thing is very subjective.

That being said, the one thing that has always bothered me about Manhattan is the disgusting stench which comes from subway/sewers(?) and permeates through almost the entire city.

Are there any plans to battle the stink of rotting rat carcasses and dumpster? Can you even battle it?

There's nothing like the stench of death on a hot summers day in downtown Manhattan. If I didn't love this town so much I'd stay away from it for that one reason.

It's like when you get onto the wrong subway car. And you're like, oh wow this smells awful. But you can't get off until the next stop which is like 5 minutes away, so you just try to hold your breath. But then 2 minutes in, your nose adjusts, and somehow the smell seems like it's mostly gone away?

Yeah.. living in NYC is like that for me. After a few years, you barely remember the smell is there :laugh:

Reactions: Sarge13

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's like when you get onto the wrong subway car. And you're like, oh wow this smells awful. But you can't get off until the next stop which is like 5 minutes away, so you just try to hold your breath. But then 2 minutes in, your nose adjusts, and somehow the smell seems like it's mostly gone away?

Yeah.. living in NYC is like that for me. After a few years, you barely remember the smell is there :laugh:
Mistakes you only need to make once: Getting on the empty subway car during peak times.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Mistakes you only need to make once: Getting on the empty subway car during peak times.
Dude, I think I have stench memory, because I just shuddered.

I've lived down in Atlanta for the past 5 years, and I take the train to work, which is mostly above-ground. Rainy days are always a gamble, because the cars can get invaded by a homeless person or two trying to escape the rain, and they always smell like death. A drop of rain and it's like all the BO, piss, and excrement get re-hydrated into a death cloud.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
Seeking advice on the best way to travel (park?) to Citi Field for Dead & Co. concert tonight from North New Jersey. Is the best way just to take mass transit to Manhattan and get on the #7? is driving in from Jersey feasible? Parking?

Thanks in advance.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
From my experience, the best bet would be to take the 7 from Times Sq/42nd St station (Port Authority attaches).

There is a TON of rush hour traffic going out to Queens, be it on the 7, the LIRR, or driving. Packed no matter what you do. I find that taking the 7 is the easiest way to navigate the traffic. Is the LIRR even going to drop off at Citi Field for the concert? I'd check that too.

IMO, my preferred order would be:
1. Taking the 7 to the second-to-last stop (Mets-Willets Point)
2. LIRR (Great Neck/Port Washington line depending on when you're going into the city)
3. Driving

You'll be able to get onto a local/express 7 a lot faster than you'll pick up a Great Neck/Port Washington train. And the ride is only ~40 minutes with no delays. Express isn't exponentially faster, but it's express. Citi Field is the second to last stop regardless of what you take.

But then again, I don't come from the NJ direction, and I know busses/trains to and from NJ can be a pain scheduling-wise (my coworkers complain about it ALL the time).

This is just my opinion :dunno:

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Seeking advice on the best way to travel (park?) to Citi Field for Dead & Co. concert tonight from North New Jersey. Is the best way just to take mass transit to Manhattan and get on the #7? is driving in from Jersey feasible? Parking?

Thanks in advance.

LIRR is 15 mins Penn to Citi (Mets Willets Pt stop). It’s easy and runs like 5-6 times an hour on the Port Washington line. The trickier part is getting to Penn. if you’re comfortable getting to Penn on NJ transit, it’s an easy switch then.

Most of the Bergen trains pass thru Seacacus and you’ll have to switch. Not the worst going out to the game, but sucks coming home. Check the schedule late night to make sure they have late enough trains to your stop.

The train is doable, its just about how familiar you are with the routes.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Thanks in advance.

Two mass transit options:

Taking NJ Transit in to Penn and then catching the LIRR to Mets Willets Pt. (Seacacus is where I usually park).

Taking NJ Transit to Penn, catch the 1,2 or 3 up to Times Square and then switch to the 7 and take it out to Citi.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
As a tourist and appreciative food eater, I would like to make sure this guide includes Zuckers as a great bagel place with killer smoked salmon lox. Also found Juliannas to be the best pizza in town, not Grimaldis so I'd like to contest that fact as well :D

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
As a tourist and appreciative food eater, I would like to make sure this guide includes Zuckers as a great bagel place with killer smoked salmon lox. Also found Juliannas to be the best pizza in town, not Grimaldis so I'd like to contest that fact as well :D
Grimaldi opened Julianna's.

Reactions: Crease

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Grimaldi opened Julianna's.

Guy at the place told me there was a dispute and the original guy that started Grimaldi's (I presume that is Grimaldi) left and started Juliannas.

Edit: Found the article Patsy Grimaldi Opens Juliana's After Lengthy Pizza War

So the Grimaldis I had is not the original one. But the Julianna pizza I had is basically the original Grimaldi owner pizza. lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangers in 7

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I hate to be "that guy" but they're both tourist traps right now. Kind of like Gino's and Pat's in Philadelphia. Sure, the pizza is good but neither of them is even in the top ten in terms of NY pizza.

If you're still around hit up the original Patsy's pizzeria in Harlem (avoid the million or so other "Patsy's" that are floating around throughout the five boroughs). Joe's on Carmine Street. Prince Street pizza. John's on Bleecker. All amazing NY style slices. If you want Neapolitan check out Roberta's or Lucali.

BTW - since we're on my favorite topic I'm hoping for some thoughts on Totonno's. Finally went out there a few weeks ago. It's been one of the few big name pizza spots in the City that I haven't went to so there was a lot of hype built up behind it.

I have to say, I was really disappointed. I wanted to like it because I love the history and I truly enjoyed watching the older waitress (owner?) treat everybody like shit but it just tasted so plain to me. Sauce was completely underwhelming, cheese had no kick to it. I had to douse the pizza with red pepper just to give it some sort of taste. The crust was good though.

Last edited:

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I hate to be "that guy" but they're both tourist traps right now. Kind of like Gino's and Pat's in Philadelphia. Sure, the pizza is good but neither of them is even in the top ten in terms of NY pizza.

If you're still around hit up the original Patsy's pizzeria in Harlem (avoid the million or so other "Patsy's" that are floating around throughout the five boroughs). Joe's on Carmine Street. Prince Street pizza. John's on Bleecker. All amazing NY style slices. If you want Neapolitan check out Roberta's or Lucali.

BTW - since we're on my favorite topic I'm hoping for some thoughts on Totonno's. Finally went out there a few weeks ago. It's been one of the few big name pizza spots in the City that I haven't went to so there was a lot of hype built up behind it.

I have to say, I was really disappointed. I wanted to like it because I love the history and I truly enjoyed watching the older waitress (owner?) treat everybody like **** but it just tasted so plain to me. Sauce was completely underwhelming, cheese had no kick to it. I had to douse the pizza with red pepper just to give it some sort of taste. The crust was good though.

Joe's is still the best slice. I went straight there when I visited the city a week ago & can never get enough of that place. I wish there was a way to take a few pies home with me to Vegas.

When I used to live on 23rd & 2nd, Totonnos had a location on 25th or 24th & 2nd. I would eat there once or twice a month because it was so convenient. I do recall the crust being the best part, but it wasn't top 10 pizza in NYC. I would've assumed the location in Brooklyn would be better because of that oven. Then again, things change & business owners might try to cut costs, so who knows.

My GF is from CT so we spent a few days up at the beach in Old Lyme. On the way up we stopped in New Haven so I could finally try some of those famous pizza joints in their Little Italy. Went to Frank Pepe's first & was so excited to sit down in that place given it's numerous votes as best pizza in the country. As much as I wanted to love it, there are 25 places in NYC (including the boroughs) that have a better slice. While it was very good, it wasn't earth shattering. Plus they cut a large pie into 12 slices, which bugged me right off the bat. No slices were big enough to fold. There was a huge line forming to get in as I was leaving at about 1pm on a Tuesday. Glad I didn't wait on it, or I would've REALLY been ticked. It wasn't worth waiting an hour for.

Tried to go to Sally's Apizza but they were closed on Tuesdays. Would've stopped there yesterday on my way back to the airport, but they don't open til 3pm. Did try another place called DaLegna. I didn't love it, but if they were in Vegas, I would probably eat there often, given the lack of pizza choices. But if you're in New Haven, Pepe's is a better option.

Last edited:

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

I have to say, I was really disappointed. I wanted to like it because I love the history and I truly enjoyed watching the older waitress (owner?) treat everybody like **** but it just tasted so plain to me. Sauce was completely underwhelming, cheese had no kick to it. I had to douse the pizza with red pepper just to give it some sort of taste. The crust was good though.

And you know what? Next time I pop down to NYC, if you're telling me there is pizza even better than Julianas and you tell me where to get it, i am eternally grateful. Juliannas was the best pizza I've had that wasn't in Rome.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.

I know it's not for everybody, but I'm still a big L&B fan.

Reactions: FultonReed

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Joe's is still the best slice. I went straight there when I visited the city a week ago & can never get enough of that place. I wish there was a way to take a few pies home with me to Vegas.

When I used to live on 23rd & 2nd, Totonnos had a location on 25th or 24th & 2nd. I would eat there once or twice a month because it was so convenient. I do recall the crust being the best part, but it wasn't top 10 pizza in NYC. I would've assumed the location in Brooklyn would be better because of that oven. Then again, things change & business owners might try to cut costs, so who knows.

My GF is from CT so we spent a few days up at the beach in Old Lyme. On the way up we stopped in New Haven so I could finally try some of those famous pizza joints in their Little Italy. Went to Frank Pepe's first & was so excited to sit down in that place given it's numerous votes as best pizza in the country. As much as I wanted to love it, there are 25 places in NYC (including the boroughs) that have a better slice. While it was very good, it wasn't earth shattering. Plus they cut a large pie into 12 slices, which bugged me right off the bat. No slices were big enough to fold. There was a huge line forming to get in as I was leaving at about 1pm on a Tuesday. Glad I didn't wait on it, or I would've REALLY been ticked. It wasn't worth waiting an hour for.

Tried to go to Sally's Apizza but they were closed on Tuesdays. Would've stopped there yesterday on my way back to the airport, but they don't open til 3pm. Did try another place called DaLegna. I didn't love it, but if they were in Vegas, I would probably eat there often, given the lack of pizza choices. But if you're in New Haven, Pepe's is a better option.

Joe's is definitely top ten for me. To me Patsy's in Harlem and Joe's are very similar just in the sense that they both do the plain New York style slice to absolute perfection and it's done to perfection every single time. I've never had a bad slice at either spot.

I live pretty close to the Pepe's in Yonkers but still went to the original in New Haven also a few years ago. I thought it was pretty good. Pepe's is strange in that both locations are very inconsistent. On my trip to the one in New Haven one of our pies was burnt and disfigured to the point where the middle of the pie was falling apart but then I thought the other pie was really good. It's a toss up with those places in terms of what you get. Maybe top 25 for me but not a world beater like some have made it out to be. I'll also say that there was no noticeable difference between the pies at the original spot in New Haven and the one in Yonkers.

I love Sally's. I liked it a lot better than Pepe's. Definitely check it out next time you get a chance, I do think it's worth the trip. The sauce is amazing.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
You only have to miss one 'you up' text in your life before you decide that phone on at night is worth it.
Ain't no one sending "you up" texts to me in the middle of the night.

At most, I get forwarded IG posts of cats from my SO when she can't fall asleep or is up studying :laugh:

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City

I'm pretty sure the smell you're talking about is restaurant trash. They dump mountains of garbage bags on the curb every night that leak oils and food waste and it seeps into the sidewalk cement. The carting trucks pick up the bags but the residue is still there and then when you get 90-100 degree heat it just bakes and festers. Starbucks & McDonalds are some of the worst offenders

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor King Schultz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad