New Western Pro Hockey League trying to launch

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I hope we're not done talking about this shit show because Las Vegas has gone 1-2 in their first three games against senior teams, losing their second and third games 11-2 and 15-3 respectively. They did squeak out a win in their inaugural game 5-4 though
I'm assuming about 10 people were probably there to see that historic first win

Dan K

Jun 3, 2021
The WPHL's first games of 2023 were supposed to be last weekend (1/13 and 1/14/23) with the Millionaires vs. Breckenridge Vipers. The Vipers facebook page reported the team played the Las Vegas Solar Ducks last weekend. I queried the Vipers and was told the Millionaires cancelled about six days prior to the first game and the Solar Ducks was an exhibition team. Also, stated the Millionaires may have folded.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
The WPHL's first games of 2023 were supposed to be last weekend (1/13 and 1/14/23) with the Millionaires vs. Breckenridge Vipers. The Vipers facebook page reported the team played the Las Vegas Solar Ducks last weekend. I queried the Vipers and was told the Millionaires cancelled about six days prior to the first game and the Solar Ducks was an exhibition team. Also, stated the Millionaires may have folded.

BUT WE NEEEEEEEEEEEEEED LOWER LEVEL PRO HOCKEY!

Without these shitty clownshow leagues, where else could benders like Frankie Sentelli play so they could tell everyone they played professional hockey???

Reactions: Roadhog

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
So the Breckenridge scores weren’t even posted to the schedule page, the ticket page doesn’t show any purchase opportunities, and it appears every home game site was amended to Pepsi Ice Arena. Also, nobody noticed Billings officially “suspending operations“ three days after the “oh, the WPHL is disassociating from Billings” conversation that just so happened to result in an official announcement that same day.

I only post this because of my willingness to go two somersaults and a twist diving head first into rabbit holes, this one stemming from “is this fly-by-night Las Vegas indoor football team playing in the same rec rink as the Millionaires?”

Which, since there is an arena football revival of sorts, brings up another point. For all we talk about whether really low level pro hockey is sustainable, it’s amazing that you can get a league like the AIFA (raise your hand if you’ve even heard of it) to buy in on a team in a Vegas indoor soccer complex and actually get games played. There’s just so many former college football players trying to live the dream. And the operation is guaranteed to be a bit fly-by-night and nothing you should invest in (financially or emotionally) if you want more than a two-year return, but their pervasiveness is stunning.

Oh, also, I learned that a partner league has a team in Oregon that began two years ago, north of Bend, so YouTube found me a game tape to find out that the Deschutes County Expo Center is a bit of a cleaner version of Albuquerque’s Tingley Coliseum, or a smaller version of the Yakima SunDome, which means the sightlines would be suboptimal for hockey (if they ever bothered to install an ice plant, which Yakima never will), but it’s closer to Bend than the Rio Rancho Events Center is to downtown Albuquerque. Shrug.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So the Breckenridge scores weren’t even posted to the schedule page, the ticket page doesn’t show any purchase opportunities, and it appears every home game site was amended to Pepsi Ice Arena. Also, nobody noticed Billings officially “suspending operations“ three days after the “oh, the WPHL is disassociating from Billings” conversation that just so happened to result in an official announcement that same day.

I only post this because of my willingness to go two somersaults and a twist diving head first into rabbit holes, this one stemming from “is this fly-by-night Las Vegas indoor football team playing in the same rec rink as the Millionaires?”

Which, since there is an arena football revival of sorts, brings up another point. For all we talk about whether really low level pro hockey is sustainable, it’s amazing that you can get a league like the AIFA (raise your hand if you’ve even heard of it) to buy in on a team in a Vegas indoor soccer complex and actually get games played. There’s just so many former college football players trying to live the dream. And the operation is guaranteed to be a bit fly-by-night and nothing you should invest in (financially or emotionally) if you want more than a two-year return, but their pervasiveness is stunning.

Oh, also, I learned that a partner league has a team in Oregon that began two years ago, north of Bend, so YouTube found me a game tape to find out that the Deschutes County Expo Center is a bit of a cleaner version of Albuquerque’s Tingley Coliseum, or a smaller version of the Yakima SunDome, which means the sightlines would be suboptimal for hockey (if they ever bothered to install an ice plant, which Yakima never will), but it’s closer to Bend than the Rio Rancho Events Center is to downtown Albuquerque. Shrug.
Hey, did @NJdangles99 ever write that article?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
And Bill Foley owns an indoor football team playing out of the Dollar Loan Center in Henderson now. Vegas Knight Hawks - Official Athletics Website

The indoor football leagues are like a game of whackamole, one pops up, folds, and another pops up. It'll be interesting to see how the reformed AFL does upon it's return.

Reactions: Roadhog

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Hey, did @NJdangles99 ever write that article?
il_fullxfull.3566205218_4ulr.jpg

I think this is about all the article has

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
And Bill Foley owns an indoor football team playing out of the Dollar Loan Center in Henderson now. Vegas Knight Hawks - Official Athletics Website

The indoor football leagues are like a game of whackamole, one pops up, folds, and another pops up. It'll be interesting to see how the reformed AFL does upon it's return.

Arena Football is such a mess that it makes the FPHL look professional. The last go-around, bankrolled by Ted Leonsis, was a mess, with four teams and a two-game total points playoff series in the first round. I'm sure a new Arena Football League will find a way to be even more absurd.

Nope. 483 days have passed since his article was scheduled to go "live." And he hasn't been on here since November 10, 2021.
What a fonzanoon.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Arena Football is such a mess that it makes the FPHL look professional. The last go-around, bankrolled by Ted Leonsis, was a mess, with four teams and a two-game total points playoff series in the first round. I'm sure a new Arena Football League will find a way to be even more absurd.

What a fonzanoon.
Um again that is up to the fans to decide. AFL did well in Philly and here in Albany. Had the AFL stuck to its traditional markets they wouldn't be in the jam. Hey Ted Leonsis tried and couldn't make it work, so what. That's what business people do, take chances and risks. Some achieve success and others often do not. Its those individuals who risk their financials and reputation that make this country great and we need that again.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The new AFL is owned by a guy who made his money in web3 nonsense and apparently doesn't understand the infrastructure needed to get stuff off the ground. Indoor football fans (yes, we exist) are extremely skeptical of him and his boasts of having 16 teams at launch.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Um again that is up to the fans to decide. AFL did well in Philly and here in Albany. Had the AFL stuck to its traditional markets they wouldn't be in the jam. Hey Ted Leonsis tried and couldn't make it work, so what. That's what business people do, take chances and risks. Some achieve success and others often do not. Its those individuals who risk their financials and reputation that make this country great and we need that again.
We need what again, exactly? Another fly-by-night indoor football league so fans in America's Worst Sports Market™ can go downtown to the MVP Arena and watch indoor football?

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Crash

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
We need what again, exactly? Another fly-by-night indoor football league so fans in America's Worst Sports Market™ can go downtown to the MVP Arena and watch indoor football?
But if he's got good intentions, then we must be required to ignore the scuzzy shenanigans that will happen behind the scenes, otherwise you're a Negative Nelly who hates family fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad