Music: New U2

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
A few seconds in, I had such high hopes. And then Bono started singing.

I just realized that he hasn't written a hit song, lyrically, in 17 years. Vertigo and a couple others succeed on solid musicianship from the band, but Bono just flat out sucks. And I damn near worshipped him in the late 80s on through ATYCLB.

Disappointed.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
U2 Haters baffle me. I mean, don't like them? Fine. But the need to go out of ones way to proclaim they're crap, when they're obviously not, it just strange.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
A few seconds in, I had such high hopes. And then Bono started singing.

I just realized that he hasn't written a hit song, lyrically, in 17 years. Vertigo and a couple others succeed on solid musicianship from the band, but Bono just flat out sucks. And I damn near worshipped him in the late 80s on through ATYCLB.

Disappointed.

I agree that Bono has dragged them down on recent albums. His lyrics, delivery, the mix on his vocals, and his live operatic style all crap. I think the tune overall is decent with Bono again the weakest point. In fact I think the rhythm section is fantastic and the pre-chorus rather catchy with a 90s vibe. Take what you can get nearly 40 years into their career.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
U2 Haters baffle me. I mean, don't like them? Fine. But the need to go out of ones way to proclaim they're crap, when they're obviously not, it just strange.

Pretty much this.

Thanks for posting OP, not a bad tune.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I agree that Bono has dragged them down on recent albums. His lyrics, delivery, the mix on his vocals, and his live operatic style all crap. I think the tune overall is decent with Bono again the weakest point. In fact I think the rhythm section is fantastic and the pre-chorus rather catchy with a 90s vibe. Take what you can get nearly 40 years into their career.

Good song... don't know what the problem is. You're right -- the bass/drum rhythm section is the real hook here. As for Bono, I think his style has become so iconic that his voice now sounds like a cliche. Which is a bit unfair. He sounds pretty much the same as he always did, which is unusually good for a guy in his 50s. Voices have nowhere to go but down; Bono's still making it work.

In fact, the band's strength and weakness is that it's remained frozen in time. Great if you're seeing them in concert, because they look, act and sound almost identical to their earlier selves. Bad if you're expecting further evolution, because there are only so many ways to reinvent a band with a narrow musical palette.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One of the most overrated bands if all time.....

With or Without You
Sunday, Bloody Sunday
One
Beautiful Day
New Year's Day
I Will Follow
Where the Streets Have No Name
Pride (In the Name of Love)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
City of Blinding Lights

Gimme your favourite band's top ten.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Yet they are one of the longest lasting bands with all original members of all time and still sell out football stadiums.

Must suck being such an overrated band. :sarcasm:

I'm sure it doesn't suck and they are very rich but it doesn't change the fact that the music is overrated

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
With or Without You
Sunday, Bloody Sunday
One
Beautiful Day
New Year's Day
I Will Follow
Where the Streets Have No Name
Pride (In the Name of Love)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
City of Blinding Lights

Gimme your favourite band's top ten.

If this is purely a popularity contest of course U2 wins but those songs are average at best. Beautiful day is awful. Lol

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I'm sure it doesn't suck and they are very rich but it doesn't change the fact that the music is overrated

Calling anything overrated is basically you just telling everyone you have an opinion. What exactly are you trying to achieve here? That you don't like the band that the topic is about?

...Congrats that you don't like something a lot of other people do and felt the need to tell everyone about it?

Ok.

It would be like me going to the Leafs board talking about how I don't like the Leafs in the threads saying how much people like them. You could tell me about jersey and ticket sales and how popular they are and I could call them overrated because they are tied with the Blues for the longest drought without a cup.

Honestly though, what would be the point of me doing that? Just to troll or sound like an internet tough guy right?

Right.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Calling anything overrated is basically you just telling everyone you have an opinion. What exactly are you trying to achieve here? That you don't like the band that the topic is about?

...Congrats that you don't like something a lot of other people do and felt the need to tell everyone about it?

Ok.

It would be like me going to the Leafs board talking about how I don't like the Leafs in the threads saying how much people like them. You could tell me about jersey and ticket sales and how popular they are and I could call them overrated because they are tied with the Blues for the longest drought without a cup.

Honestly though, what would be the point of me doing that? Just to troll or sound like an internet tough guy right?

Right.

Dude, you're on an internet message board. What's wrong with this guy giving his opinion? I get that U2 are a popular band but sheesh...

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
If this is purely a popularity contest of course U2 wins but those songs are average at best. Beautiful day is awful. Lol
To repeat myself: Gimme your favourite band's top ten, please.

Not sure you got the reference...
As usual, no--flew over my head by several thousand feet. Didn't have any luck looking it up, either. Now I'm curious. What's the reference? PS: if it is a line in the video, the audio has been blacked out (pun intended, natch) for some reason. If that is some weird selling point gimic by them, it is too clever by half.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Dude, you're on an internet message board. What's wrong with this guy giving his opinion? I get that U2 are a popular band but sheesh...

Because coming into a topic about and just saying "they're overrated" adds absolutely nothing to the topic. There's lots of bands, shows, video games, sports teams... etc. that I am not a fan of on these forums. You are saying its totally cool and acceptable if I just go into all those threads and say "this team is garbage" or "this show sucks".

Pretty sure the mod's would eventually catch up to me if anything. Because it's not constructive at all to the topic at hand. Everyone has an opinion. No need to shout that you don't like something when people who do like it want to discuss it.

Pretty simple stuff here and sand that I have to explain it.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Because coming into a topic about and just saying "they're overrated" adds absolutely nothing to the topic. There's lots of bands, shows, video games, sports teams... etc. that I am not a fan of on these forums. You are saying its totally cool and acceptable if I just go into all those threads and say "this team is garbage" or "this show sucks".

Pretty sure the mod's would eventually catch up to me if anything. Because it's not constructive at all to the topic at hand. Everyone has an opinion. No need to shout that you don't like something when people who do like it want to discuss it.

Pretty simple stuff here and sand that I have to explain it.

Yes. I borderline want to say '' yes '' to the team stuff as well but because this is a massive hockey forum, I understand why you can't just go on another team's board and start saying that. It's done all the time on the main boards though. There's no reason why people can only discuss bands that they like. That seems as simple to me as your explanation does to you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad