New to Baseball (Questions, etc)

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Hey, Rangers fans;

Where are the good cheap seats at Globe Life Park? I'll watch the Phillies-Rangers game on May 17th, and I want to stay out of the heat.(I wanted to ask in the Stars forum, but I couldn't find a generic Other Dallas sports tread on that area, and I didn't want to start a new thread being a Coyotes fan. :blush: )

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm not new to baseball, but this has always confused me.

For example, Yoan Moncada played in the majors last year, but for only a handful of games. The White Sox are purposely leaving him in the minors to push his free agency back a year. When could they call him up and still get his free agency pushed back?

(Yes, I am stashing him in fantasy leagues, which is mainly why I'm asking.)

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
There is no set date. You typically need 3 years of service time to be eligible for arbitration. The top 22% of players in service time between 2 and 3 years qualify for arbitration. So, if no rookie is called up between now and July and Moncada is called up on June 30th and isn't sent back to the minors and then a bunch of teams start calling up their rookies, he would qualify as a Super Two because he would be in the top 22% of his rookie class in service time when he gets between two and three years of service time.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Kind of random seems line the best place to ask this -

Im looking for a Rockies cap with their original logo can anyone point me to a site to order that online?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
There is no set date. You typically need 3 years of service time to be eligible for arbitration. The top 22% of players in service time between 2 and 3 years qualify for arbitration. So, if no rookie is called up between now and July and Moncada is called up on June 30th and isn't sent back to the minors and then a bunch of teams start calling up their rookies, he would qualify as a Super Two because he would be in the top 22% of his rookie class in service time when he gets between two and three years of service time.

Yeah, I know that there's no set date for the Super 2. I'm not sure if that was the answer that I was looking for, but it might have been.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Also, I'm watching the Red Sox/Blue Jays game, and Marco Estrada is pitching for Toronto. I've always wondered... why does nobody ever say "crafty righty"? I always hear "crafty lefty", but never righty.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Also, I'm watching the Red Sox/Blue Jays game, and Marco Estrada is pitching for Toronto. I've always wondered... why does nobody ever say "crafty righty"? I always hear "crafty lefty", but never righty.

Crafty righties usually aren't good enough to make it in the majors for any length of time.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Here's may be a stupid question:

Why do we concern ourselves whether a ballpark is hitter's friendly, neutral, or pitcher's friendly in baseball, yet not so much in other sports?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Here's may be a stupid question:

Why do we concern ourselves whether a ballpark is hitter's friendly, neutral, or pitcher's friendly in baseball, yet not so much in other sports?

The dimensions are different from stadium to stadium in baseball. Sure, the ice may be bad in some NHL arenas, or the puck may bounce off the boards differently, but the dimensions are the same in every arena. The wind and weather varies from NFL stadium to NFL stadium, but the length and width of the fields are still the same. You can't say that for baseball.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The dimensions are different from stadium to stadium in baseball. Sure, the ice may be bad in some NHL arenas, or the puck may bounce off the boards differently, but the dimensions are the same in every arena. The wind and weather varies from NFL stadium to NFL stadium, but the length and width of the fields are still the same. You can't say that for baseball.

Yup, pretty much this. There were some concerns about NHL arenas being of differing sizes when you had old barns like the original Boston Garden kicking around, but now out of the Big 4, MLB's the only one where parks aren't all built to the same configuration. Once you get past the distance from the plate to the mound and from base to base, ballparks are pretty individual. The closest I can think of to that in any other sport might be in the NFL where some stadiums have more challenging kicking conditions at one end than others (for instance at Heinz Field, the south end of the stadium, which faces the Allegheny, has notoriously difficult kicking conditions.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Weird question but one I've been thinking about. Why do baseball teams play everyday (with the random off days)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
From what I understand the Braves wanted SunTrust to be a fairly neutral park - so it'll be more hitter friendly than Turner Field was but not as hitter friendly as Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has a good piece here.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Weird question but one I've been thinking about. Why do baseball teams play everyday (with the random off days)

Because double headers suck? I mean, I guess they could shorten the schedule to like 82 games like the NBA and NHL and start the season in May and end it in August but the owners and the players wouldn't like how many games of revenue they lose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad