New to Baseball (Questions, etc)

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If a catcher drops strike 3 he needs to either tag the batter/runner or throw to 1st base.

If the catcher catches the foul tip it is considered a strike. So obviously in 1-1 count if that happens it becomes 1-2 count. In 2-2 count it's strike 3 and the batter is out.

Unless someone is at first with less than 2 outs. Then they are automatically out.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Why does it seems that baseball have 2 trade deadlines?

It really only has one. You can make waiver trades at any time of the year, that second deadline is only to be eligible for the post-season roster. You'll occasionally see waiver trades in September, after the cutoff, but for obvious reasons they're typically very small trades.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Why does it seems that baseball have 2 trade deadlines?

The non-waiver trade deadline is usually July 31st, although it is August 1st this year. The waiver trade deadline is August 31st. Players are often put on waivers and then pulled back. If a team claims a player (which doesn't happen often other than to block another team), then a team can only make a trade with the team that claims the player (see the Adrian Gonzalez to LA trade a few years ago).

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
I saw the Orioles stats, and they just can't hit triples at all. So, I'm wondering, what' the MLB record for the least amount of triples hit by a team for a season? (Yes I ask a lot of questions. I will blame my autism on that. ;) )

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I saw the Orioles stats, and they just can't hit triples at all. So, I'm wondering, what' the MLB record for the least amount of triples hit by a team for a season? (Yes I ask a lot of questions. I will blame my autism on that. ;) )

11. By Orioles.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Why do several East Coast MLB teams have their Sunday starts at 1:35PM EDT?

Dunno. Better scheduling I guess because then baseball is on all day long and if you want to watch multiple teams/games it's easier? Jays always have afternoon games on saturday and Sunday. It's pretty nice actually.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I remember when White Sox had a deal with 7/11 that they'd start their night games at 7:11 instead of 7:05.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Emilio Bonafacio in 2009 on opening day apparently did it.

Man, he was so bad for the Jays in that trade... and Josh Johnson. Wow, they sucked.

Tigers catcher James McCann did it last season. First career home run ... inside the park.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad