New Season....but where to watch it?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Just words of wisdom from what I have seen in my research, there are some free ones out there that have limitations. Any VPN will slow down your internet speed somewhat. Depending on which you choose and potentially which server you connect to it could be noticeable or not. I have read good things about ExpressVPN as well as the previously mentioned NordVPN.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I dropped Hulu and signed up for the ATT TV Now Max package streaming service which includes FS Ohio.

The price is $80 a month and you can cancel anytime. Before signing up I chatted with a rep and said it’s too expensive and they gave me a $25 a month discount.

How long this discount is good for remains to be seen even though they said it’s permanent. This should at least get me through the hockey season until hopefully more options emerge.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I dropped Hulu and signed up for the ATT TV Now Max package streaming service which includes FS Ohio.

The price is $80 a month and you can cancel anytime. Before signing up I chatted with a rep and said it’s too expensive and they gave me a $25 a month discount.

How long this discount is good for remains to be seen even though they said it’s permanent. This should at least get me through the hockey season until hopefully more options emerge.

Will check this out - thanks.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm a VyprVPN user and have been happy with it, but I chose it specifically because I could install it on my router and port all my traffic through it when I want to. I would probably have gone with Nord or Express back when I was researching if I hadn't had that need.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I got the playoffs thru my NHLTV this past season. Maybe because mine was via ROKU, but I watched it via my phone while at work too. The only issue I had was those that were NBCSN I had to watch after the game ended, but being as I was asleep most of the time when they were live(work mids) this wasn't an issue
Huh. Interesting. I have Roku too and couldn’t watch any of them.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Looks like lots of folks in this community are going with Bobby Mac and will rely on theatre of the mind to envision the game.

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
After holding out hoping Sinclair might pull its head from its rectum so I could renew Hulu or switch to a similar service, I think I'm also forced to don my stuffed parrot and bicorn hat. Read through the forum; thanks for everyone with input regarding VPNs.

Will wait until tomorrow (maximize ability to cancel after 30 days if something changes) but can anyone speak to how easy they are to install on a desktop computer? I'm not computer-illiterate but it's been a while since I've messed with such things.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have been using You Tube TV and they do not carry any hockey at all. Seems the best I can do is use my IPad to subscribe to NHLTV. Not really happy about that choice.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
This really is crazy. No ability to attend games and very limited TV options.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Well, dropped $50 for NordVPN for a year the other night, so I guess I'm all in on that.

Feed wasn't bad using NHL.TV via nhl.com --- but it definitely wasn't the crisp HD I get from using the NHL app :(

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Well, dropped $50 for NordVPN for a year the other night, so I guess I'm all in on that.

Feed wasn't bad using NHL.TV via nhl.com --- but it definitely wasn't the crisp HD I get from using the NHL app :(
Do you use an Apple TV to stream on a television? The HD feed for other teams is solid on my TV using the Apple TV NHL app.

banshee72

Jan 9, 2013
ESPN+ is showing the game. Looking at the schedule they seem to be playing a third to half the games. 5.99 a month.

banshee72

Jan 9, 2013
I live in the upper peninsula of Michigan so ill be good to go. May be an option for those fans who are not local

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Yeah, problem is I can’t use the NHL app to watch the Jackets.
There are ways to VPN your entire internet connection and configure your Apple TV to do it. I don't have any of this set up but I've been curious, Youtube has ways to talk about it. It possibly depends on your router configuration.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
There are ways to VPN your entire internet connection and configure your Apple TV to do it. I don't have any of this set up but I've been curious, Youtube has ways to talk about it. It possibly depends on your router configuration.
I’ll have to look into it then.

because when I pull up the app on my iPad it will only use my GPS location

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’ll have to look into it then.

because when I pull up the app on my iPad it will only use my GPS location
I believe there are ways to do it with a free DNS server depending on the service but ultimately if your router is capable of handling a VPN connection you can configure it there and then every device on the router's network is protected by the connection so an Apple TV could use the server as well too. I do not own one that appears to be capable but I think there are cheap alternatives.

Reactions: CPTN71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad