OT: New Rock radio station coming this Friday 7:00 pm on Rebel 101.7 FM, old Dawg

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Hope this station ends up decent. I have just about eliminated Chez from my rotation these days and would love to be able to listen to a more diverse rock station. I just find the Chez playlist pretty repetitive, their newish songs the same mix of generic Foo Fighters tracks, and their DJs shtick of "haha we're old we don't get fads and trends" just cringe worthy to listen to.

The French stations like Energie I agree are pretty decent. And despite my limited French abilities, their DJs are actually kind of funny and interesting.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Hope this station ends up decent. I have just about eliminated Chez from my rotation these days and would love to be able to listen to a more diverse rock station. I just find the Chez playlist pretty repetitive, their newish songs the same mix of generic Foo Fighters tracks, and their DJs shtick of "haha we're old we don't get fads and trends" just cringe worthy to listen to.

The French stations like Energie I agree are pretty decent. And despite my limited French abilities, their DJs are actually kind of funny and interesting.

Love me some Foo Fighters. I don't mind Chez. Definitely need another rock station though. Cosmo is just absolutely awful to listen to. Sounds like he's reading off a piece of paper, then laughs at his own terrible jokes.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
There is only 1.

What is it? I've been looking for a station that plays rap and hip hop. We haven't had one since 89.9 in like 03-04 when we still had 93.9 Kool FM. Since then they've been top 40 pop. 106.9 jump FM is also top 40 pop. Where do you listen to songs with good beats and real lyrics?

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Sounded a little better Saturday Night, while I hosted a party, while it was on, in the background. Something like Live 88.5, a bit of Chez106 and a bit of the Fox.

Not bad, not sure if right now they are trying to do too many genres all at once. I’m definitely still liking it!:yo:

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Gave this station a try and honestly its just gonna be another Chez, more classic rock woooo!!! :sarcasm: Was hoping they would be more modern-day rock

I know rap/hip-hop has been mentioned, and tbh I don't see why there isnt a dedicated station for it yet. A large amount of the younger population listens to it, and it has been very popular the past little while. Why not capitalize on a booming genre? I'm sure more people would tune in if it were rap/hiphop, we have chez and 88.5 for rock.

Not to be disrespectful, just putting it out there

Back in Black

Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Gave this station a try and honestly its just gonna be another Chez, more classic rock woooo!!! :sarcasm: Was hoping they would be more modern-day rock

That’s funny, I found it just the opposite. Like they’re trying to do too much of everything, but more like 88.5. This mornings, morning show was a former 88.5 guy, I believe.

Oh well, it can’t be for everyone....

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I know rap/hip-hop has been mentioned, and tbh I don't see why there isnt a dedicated station for it yet. A large amount of the younger population listens to it, and it has been very popular the past little while. Why not capitalize on a booming genre? I'm sure more people would tune in if it were rap/hiphop, we have chez and 88.5 for rock.

What about the demographic that has been listening to rap/R&B for the last 30 years? They deserve a station for the classics and sprinkle in so of the new age crap for filler.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Off topic a bit but I knew of a guy that got a large 106.9 the bear tattoo on the back of his head roughly a year or two before the station folded...Darwin would be proud!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
It's Weird how we haven't had a rap/hip hop station considering how popular rap has been since the late 80s. I went to high school in the early to mid 2000s. Every party you went to was blasting rap. Yet no radio station.

The biggest money makers in music were names like Eminem, 50 cent, snoop Dogg, Ludacris, exhibit, ice cube, Jay z, p diddy, the game, dmx, etc yet no radio station. Rap was making more than any genres. Top rappers in their primes brining in as much if not more revenue than pop stars christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, usher, Justin Timberlake...yet no radio station.
They would sell out every time they came to Ottawa...yet no radio station.

It's just weird. There's a serious market there.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Do people still listen to the radio? Who doesn't have their phone as their source of music while driving anymore?

I listen to TSN1200 on the drive in to work, but if I want music, I simply switch to my phone. I can't imagine people just randomly listening to garbage hoping to hear a good song. Lol

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
They would sell out every time they came to Ottawa...yet no radio station.

It's just weird. There's a serious market there.

Not a lot of companies want to advertise and associate their brand with songs that feature 50+ racial slurs a song. It's a shame because a lot of it is good music, but I can't sit with my kids and listen to it. The lyrics are just too hardcore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've had satellite radio for five years now. It is absolutely glorious. If you are in your car or at your computer a lot, it's amazing, and as a sports geek having NHL and NFL radio is doubly terrific. $15 a month for access to all that music? You can't get lunch for $15 for God's sake. The only time I listen to terrestrial radio now is for TSN 1200 during Sens and REDBLACKS games.

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
Do people still listen to the radio? Who doesn't have their phone as their source of music while driving anymore?

I listen to TSN1200 on the drive in to work, but if I want music, I simply switch to my phone. I can't imagine people just randomly listening to garbage hoping to hear a good song. Lol
Not everyone's driving a new car. In my 2005 car, the options are radio or CDs. Playing music directly off the phone sucks (because there's no bluetooth or jacks to connect it to the car) and CDs get old after a while unless you're carrying a huge collection with you. I've pretty much moved to a "Skip through my 13 favourite radio stations to see if anything good is on, and if you don't find anything, hit the CD button" type of listening pattern. It's scary how often I wind up hitting the CD button :(

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I've had satellite radio for five years now. It is absolutely glorious. If you are in your car or at your computer a lot, it's amazing, and as a sports geek having NHL and NFL radio is doubly terrific. $15 a month for access to all that music? You can't get lunch for $15 for God's sake. The only time I listen to terrestrial radio now is for TSN 1200 during Sens and REDBLACKS games.
AMEN,my pickup and my big truck have this glorious feature.And its far far better than reg radio :handclap::handclap:

Back in Black

Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Not everyone's driving a new car. In my 2005 car, the options are radio or CDs. Playing music directly off the phone sucks (because there's no bluetooth or jacks to connect it to the car) and CDs get old after a while unless you're carrying a huge collection with you. I've pretty much moved to a "Skip through my 13 favourite radio stations to see if anything good is on, and if you don't find anything, hit the CD button" type of listening pattern. It's scary how often I wind up hitting the CD button :(
I’m curious when AUX was introduced to a OEM radio, as you can play your iPhone without Bluetooth! CDs to me have gone the way of Cassettes & the do-do bird! But I’m with you on not finding anything good on the radio, hence I play my iPhone/iPod.

This is why its nice that we got another rock radio station. The Dawg gave me the blues.......

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
AMEN,my pickup and my big truck have this glorious feature.And its far far better than reg radio :handclap::handclap:

I couldn't stand sat radio. Was very repetitive.
I get Apple Music and it has pretty much every song you could ever dream of. Bluetooth FTW.

If you have an older car, just go down to Bestbuy and get a new head unit. You can get one with Bluetooth for $130.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014

In my opinion over the last essentially 15 years, rap and hip hop really blasted off late 90's to about the mid 2000's. I remember being in high school and the music was either rap and hip hop or rock/nu-metal but rock turned into emo by mid 2000's and was done as popular music. At that time rap started to turn into actual club anthems, rap music with a dancier beat and that evolved into the party rock scene and that was the end of popular rap music, this has continued but it has had a bit of a resurgence but in the end always gives way to top 40 pop songs that can get you dancing and rappers being relegated to providing a quick 30 seconds at most of a contribution to said track.
But if you go looking into a specific genre of music you will find a lot of great tracks, example: youtube rock 2016 playlist,etc and you can get a whole lineup of new music.

Some bands like Mariannas Trench and Hedley gave in and switched their style of music (rock) into pop music and specifically Marianna's trench write songs about the absurdity of how that scene has gone. Not band I like by any means really but they get points with me for writing how ridiculous their image and music has become.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad