OT: New Rock radio station coming this Friday 7:00 pm on Rebel 101.7 FM, old Dawg

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
It's Weird how we haven't had a rap/hip hop station considering how popular rap has been since the late 80s. I went to high school in the early to mid 2000s. Every party you went to was blasting rap. Yet no radio station.

The biggest money makers in music were names like Eminem, 50 cent, snoop Dogg, Ludacris, exhibit, ice cube, Jay z, p diddy, the game, dmx, etc yet no radio station. Rap was making more than any genres. Top rappers in their primes brining in as much if not more revenue than pop stars christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, usher, Justin Timberlake...yet no radio station.
They would sell out every time they came to Ottawa...yet no radio station.

It's just weird. There's a serious market there.

The issue I think really comes down to lyrics, I was in the end of high school and start of college back during the time you mentioned and the music at parties was spot on but for a lot of rap songs there is a lot of swearing, violence, drug glorification, etc. Radio could never really play it given the amount of before mentioned topics, same goes for a lot of hard metal at the same time, plus radio edits of the songs you really like are just not the same.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The issue I think really comes down to lyrics, I was in the end of high school and start of college back during the time you mentioned and the music at parties was spot on but for a lot of rap songs there is a lot of swearing, violence, drug glorification, etc. Radio could never really play it given the amount of before mentioned topics, same goes for a lot of hard metal at the same time, plus radio edits of the songs you really like are just not the same.

Plus 35-40% must be Canadian artists

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Why would they do this???

I'm not a total EDM fan or anything but I think an electronic muisc station would do well in Ottawa

I remember when Hot 89.9 was supposed to be a real hip hop station.....

There's a university radio station in Calgary that has local people aspiring to get into the radio industry, who get to have a short amount of airtime (1-2 hours) to play whatever they want. You get a huge range from weird ambient playlists to full hip hop sets, to drum and bass djs. They're pretty well scheduled too, in terms of genres, so that you know that friday at the same time is going to be something you want to listen to.

Ottawa would do real well with something like that, imo.

Not too sure what it's like there now, when I last lived there I exclusively listened to Live 88.5.

Does Ottawa have stricter CRTC laws? The uni station here constantly gets away with F bombs and little censorship that I can tell, but I can't really explain why.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I dunno guys, I think we need a 4th (?) Country music station.

Seriously though I'd settle for a station that just played different music that isn't top 40 stuff from different genres. Like CBC radio 2 but with a bit more focus on At rock, hip hop and electronic with an assortment of DJs who can introduce some new stuff and DJs who can blend old with new. It's not hard.

I'd recommend most people to just keep their radio locked to radio 2 and 1. At least that way you'll avoid the obnoxious ads and get a nice variety of stuff from Jazz to ELectronic and alt rock.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Is Cub Carson coming back?

Doubt it. He just finished his barber training and cuts at a shop in Westboro. He publicly waved goodbye to radio a few months back.. basically said he'd been jerked around too much.

Shame. He was a beaut.

I dunno guys, I think we need a 4th (?) Country music station.

Seriously though I'd settle for a station that just played different music that isn't top 40 stuff from different genres. Like CBC radio 2 but with a bit more focus on At rock, hip hop and electronic with an assortment of DJs who can introduce some new stuff and DJs who can blend old with new. It's not hard.

I'd recommend most people to just keep their radio locked to radio 2 and 1. At least that way you'll avoid the obnoxious ads and get a nice variety of stuff from Jazz to ELectronic and alt rock.

Pop-country has been the flavour of the day with the younger crowd (especially female, meaning the males follow) for the past few years. 90% is singing about whiskey, bonfires, jacked up Chevy's and blue jeans.

I'm not saying it's bad.. it has its place, but it has definitely been trending up in the last 5-10 years.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Country is the new rock

Country is the new Avril Lavigne-era pop-punk.

Basic songs that all sound like eachother, with no originality, similar vapid basic lyrics that appeals in general to everyone but specifically to no one. Mass produced, half the industry written by the same 5 or 6 professional song writers, heavily auto-tuned and "over produced".

Country music hasn't had a soul in at least a decade. It's hollow voices played by musicians who are singing someone elses wordsand playing someone else's songs, and written by someone who is for all intents and purposes painting by numbers at a musical level.

Unoriginal. Uninteresting. Garth Brooks was the last true original country artist, and aside from his recent tour he hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The closest I can get to country music is Johnny Cash.

Oddly enough, this new station on 101.7 doesn't work at that frequency in my truck. My radio has it at 101.9. Strange.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Country is the new Avril Lavigne-era pop-punk.

Basic songs that all sound like eachother, with no originality, similar vapid basic lyrics that appeals in general to everyone but specifically to no one. Mass produced, half the industry written by the same 5 or 6 professional song writers, heavily auto-tuned and "over produced".

Country music hasn't had a soul in at least a decade. It's hollow voices played by musicians who are singing someone elses wordsand playing someone else's songs, and written by someone who is for all intents and purposes painting by numbers at a musical level.

Unoriginal. Uninteresting. Garth Brooks was the last true original country artist, and aside from his recent tour he hasn't been relevant in over a decade.

I guess I struck a chord. :) Yah I hear yah... just saying it seems to be morphing into a pop / rock / country with immense popularity and mega stars.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/steven-tyler-on-the-new-rock-roll-the-ram-report-20160714

According to Garth Brooks if the Eagles (arguably the best american band ever) came out today they would be considered Country Music.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I guess I struck a chord. :) Yah I hear yah... just saying it seems to be morphing into a pop / rock / country with immense popularity and mega stars.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/steven-tyler-on-the-new-rock-roll-the-ram-report-20160714

According to Garth Brooks if the Eagles (arguably the best american band ever) came out today they would be considered Country Music.

I buy that... but the Beach Boys are the best american band ever ;) the Eagles are up there with CCR and the Doors

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If you're interested in genuinely good Country/Americana I'd suggest Sturgill Simpson. Dude flips off Nashville and the garbage that comes out of there.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

They'd also sound nothing like The Eagles. :laugh:

In a similar vein though, I remember when Blue Rodeo used to be considered "Country" back when 5 Days In July was a huge hit for them, they got tons of play on all the Country stations, but if you look back on their career, they are kind of considered more rock (soft rock) than Country.

Kind of weird how the opposite happened to them. "Country" became a pop production machine, and Blue Rodeo didn't really fit the mold anymore.

If you're into kind of more of a traditional country sound mixed with newer indie styles, I can't recommend The Deep Dark Woods enough.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If you're interested in genuinely good Country/Americana I'd suggest Sturgill Simpson. Dude flips off Nashville and the garbage that comes out of there.

Thanks. Had a quick listen. Sounds like more old school country. I will have to listen some more.
Edit. Listened to a few songs now... I am a fan. Good stuff.

They'd also sound nothing like The Eagles. :laugh:
If you're into kind of more of a traditional country sound mixed with newer indie styles, I can't recommend The Deep Dark Woods enough.

Thanks Bonk. Sounds good. Pretty Mellow.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Its not really a big deal, in 20 years once all you old people are dead music radio will cease to exist.

I can't believe that FM radio has managed to last this long. I'm a bit surprised that with the popularity of podcasts, we haven't seen traditional radio migrate to being a more talk based format.

The only real purpose of radio in 2016 is to be easy to put on in the background lightly in your car to cut through the awkward silence when you're giving a rid to someone you hardly know. If it wasn't for that social convention, radio would have died years ago.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I remember when Blue Rodeo used to be considered "Country" back when 5 Days In July was a huge hit for them, they got tons of play on all the Country stations, but if you look back on their career, they are kind of considered more rock (soft rock) than Country.
Taylor Swift & Shania Twain started out Country....... Country ain’t like the old Twang guitar days.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I basically agree with Bonk about country these days. Although I'm a slave to a catchy song so I do like some of it. A band like Florida Georgia Line basically takes a Nickelback song, adds a backing banjo and a singing drawl and voila, you have a #1 country song.

As for 101.7, when I switch to it I'm 50/50 in whether I like the song that's on. Only thing is they seem to have a lot of commercials, either that or my timing is just bad. In my opinion they could have done a lot better with the station launch. Might have been smarter for them to do what that new country station did and play like 1,000 songs non-stop or something at the start just to build the brand and get people to give it a shot. They can't even get the frequency right, is it 101.7 or 101.9? :facepalm:

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
As for 101.7, when I switch to it I'm 50/50 in whether I like the song that's on. Might have been smarter for them to do what that new country station did and play like 1,000 songs non-stop or something at the start just to build the brand and get people to give it a shot. They can't even get the frequency right, is it 101.7 or 101.9? :facepalm:
Ya, they could have done a better job, and all weekend was DJ free. I believe they are now up and running on 101.7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->