New Redline Report

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
And while Red Line's decisions to move prospects up or down in our rankings are never impacted by inside information from our contacts in the NHL scouting fraternity, we should note that it was our distinct impression (while talking at the World U-18s to a pair of chief scouts whose clubs will both be drafting in the top 10) that if Okposo is still around when their turn to pick comes up, they will have a hard time passing him up

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2006-05-10-red-line-report_x.htm

X0ssbar

He also had some interesting things to say about Mueller:

Mueller may not have the quickest feet, but he doesn't get enough credit for his acceleration and lateral agility for a big man.

And as for heart, his playoff performance reminds us a lot of Patrick Marleau's in his draft year. Many scouts thought Marleau looked lazy or bored throughout the regular season. But in Seattle's 1996-97 run to the WHL Finals, Marleau became a physical force, doing the dirty work that scouts wondered whether he could do. Mueller's performance in the playoffs this year has been similarly impressive.

That is the first time I've heard his game compared to Marleau's.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Top Shelf said:
He also had some interesting things to say about Mueller:

That is the first time I've heard his game compared to Marleau's.

They aren't comparing his game to Marleau's.

They are comparing the way Mueller stepped up his game in the WHL playoffs to the way Marleau did it himself in 1997.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
HMMMM....Kessel's #2 on RedLine. Sounds like some don't think he's a crybaby, Coach-killing Mama's boy, with BUST written all over him...
Sanity.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
both redline and mckeens had some real nice things to say about ratchuk, mcbain, and pat kane. both obviously raved about ej too. both mention flynn and geoffrion, looks like their stock is rising again.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
GaryU said:
HMMMM....Kessel's #2 on RedLine. Sounds like some don't think he's a crybaby, Coach-killing Mama's boy, with BUST written all over him...
Sanity.

With all due respect to RedLine, what they think is pretty irrelevant considering they don't have a draft choice of their own. If a GM doesn't like what he ears from Kessel in the player interview, he probably won't pick him. I'm not saying that will be the case but this is one process that Woodlief doesn't go through and it can make a huge difference in player selection.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
I guess I can understand why people are slow to appreciate Okposo because his league gets less exposure than the CHL and US colleges but he's been on people's Top 10 radar for awhile now. McKeens had him at #8 in January and we (Young Guns Hockey) had him at #11 in our February Top 15 and #7 in April's. No one should be surprised that Okposo is a Top 10 talent.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Fozz said:
With all due respect to RedLine, what they think is pretty irrelevant considering they don't have a draft choice of their own. If a GM doesn't like what he ears from Kessel in the player interview, he probably won't pick him. I'm not saying that will be the case but this is one process that Woodlief doesn't go through and it can make a huge difference in player selection.

Does anyone know of which players certain teams have started interviewing? I know the process has begun. It could tell alot about who teams are targeting.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Kirk- NEHJ said:
The May issue is one of the best they've put out all year. It is chock full of information.

Now, it is on to the draft guide, which comes out next month!
Which they do you mean? Red Line, McKeens or Young Guns?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
I like those rankings a lot. They seem to not be buying into the Staal hype and appreciating Mueller and Kessel for the talents that they are.
You like them because you agree them, what a shocker. Why is it hype when someone favours a player you don't like and when they favour a player you do like it's appreciation? Seems odd to me.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Fozz said:
With all due respect to RedLine, what they think is pretty irrelevant considering they don't have a draft choice of their own. If a GM doesn't like what he hears from Kessel in the player interview, he probably won't pick him. I'm not saying that will be the case but this is one process that Woodlief doesn't go through and it can make a huge difference in player selection.

It still doesn't make it right. Kessel seems to have Robbie Schremp syndrome. If he falls, he falls. But whomever drafts him will be getting a steal.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Scribe said:
Which they do you mean? Red Line, McKeens or Young Guns?

Red Line.

Since this thread is called "New Redline Report" I figured that the "they" in my post was fairly obvious.

Chief- I've been big on Okposo for most of the year, especially after watching him in the USHL All-Star Game, but RLR, while they haven't had him in their top-10 all year, started him there and have had nary a bad word about him all season. The actual ranking is much less important than what the reports say, and when I go back and read anything Red Line put out on him all season (which was quite a lot), they are always impressed with him and mention that he continuously showed off new skills and traits not in evidence the previous year at Shattuck's and earlier this season.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sometimes Woodlief is too impressed by his home boys (Americans)..

He is right on JOHNSON,OKPOSO,MCBAIN but wrong on KESSEL and MUELLER ...
He could be right or wrong on STAAL =too early to tell....

So we have classic "differences of opinion" with JOHNSON being the only "consensus" at #1 and Toews at #3.....Redline likes Kessel right after Johnson
and has Mueller at #4 and Backstrom at #5,and Staal way down at #6,but Central Scouting demotes PHil The Thrill to 5th NA skater (without even Backstrom in the mix because they have a separate list for euros) and Mueller at #6 NA skater, but they prefer like Staal as the #2 NA skater ...so that is a swing of 4-5 positions in assessing Staal ...obviously CSS is "projecting" more on Staal while Redline is more into the moment of what they are doing NOW.

My own ranking is somewhere in between...After the consensus in Johnson,I have Toews and Backstrom next,then Staal,then Kessel....Toews and Backstrom are the most complete of the forwards (centres) in this bunch --Staal still is missing the "shot" that brother Eric has that would make him complete (but it might come next year or the year after) --in any case Staal is the least advanced offensively
and will need at least 3 more years before impacting in the NHL at 21 ...Kessel is world class fast--but while Afinoganov is also a wonderful speedster and quality NHL'er too,neither he nor Kessel is going to impact like an Ovechkin--and missing other parts of the game and with some character issues too --Kessel is a risk to go ahead of the more complete players...also not to be ignored: Toews and Backstrom have the best shots of this bunch (Mueller's is good too but he has speed deficiencies),they both are good at faceoffs--Kessel is good at that,but Mueller and Staal stink at it, Toews and Backstrom and Staal are good defensively,Kessel and Mueller not as good...Physically you rank Staal first with Toews next,and with Backstrom lacking size but willing to mix it up with a feisty nature --Mueller has size but consistent effort is the question...

There are going to be differences of opinion on these prospects--and we won't know for certain who was right for a few years yet...

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Fozz said:

While what you say is true, Redline and other reputable sources have to give in their opinion who they feel is the best player or fit for that team at that time. Going back to the '04 draft, Schremp apparently ruffled some feathers in some of his interviews, and pissed off some people who would be making decisions on his future on draft day. Was that smart? Absolutely not, but what we have to keep in mind is these kids are 17 and 18 years old, and have some big time options coming their way. Not to mention, as in Schremps case, that there is still time for them to mature and if put in the right situation use the negative press as fuel to improve on and off the ice.

So I don't think that GMs worth their salt are going to blow off a young kid who has enormous potential and make an impact at the NHL level, just based on a poor interview. But as always that's just my opinion.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
hawksfan50 said:
Sometimes Woodlief is too impressed by his home boys (Americans)..

He is right on JOHNSON,OKPOSO,MCBAIN but wrong on KESSEL and MUELLER ...
He could be right or wrong on STAAL =too early to tell....

Man, every time something positive comes out about Kessel you come and blast it. The dude is a professional scout. He has his opinions, but because they are different from yours and the fact that Kessel destroyed your life or something, you feel the need to completely rip any positive press he gets.

This is getting hysterical.

Pull up the lawn chairs, people!

tk421

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Defensive ability, and maturity are something that can be learned. Pure goal scoring is harder to develop. For that reason I like Kessel. The guy is fast, has a laser for a shot, and can make some nice passes.

It was frustrating as a Gophers fan to see him at the end of the year, but he's only 17. A lot of teams also passed on Patrick O'Sullivan, and he has done well in the AHL, who has similar attributes.

But then again, I have never seen Staal play, so its just a Minnesota rube's opinon.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Chief said:
I guess I can understand why people are slow to appreciate Okposo because his league gets less exposure than the CHL and US colleges but he's been on people's Top 10 radar for awhile now. McKeens had him at #8 in January and we (Young Guns Hockey) had him at #11 in our February Top 15 and #7 in April's. No one should be surprised that Okposo is a Top 10 talent.

Not to go too far off topic, but when is the EDGe coming out for this draft? I've been looking forward to getting it.

Back on topic, that's a pretty good list. I think it's a reflection of the depth of forwards in this draft, and how it's really just one difference that seems to separate them.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
GaryU said:
Sanity.
If you're looking for sanity then consider this: Just because some rankings have Kessel at 3 or lower doesn't mean they think he's going to be a bust.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
NobodyBeatsTheWiz said:
I like those rankings a lot. They seem to not be buying into the Staal hype and appreciating Mueller and Kessel for the talents that they are.
:handclap: I like to see Bryan Little's name on any list. :clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad