OT: New Owner! New Name? New Season? New Everything!!! — Oh, and New Thread. All things Washington NFL FootBall (beat it, Dan-Bag!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Good article on Ben Johnson, from Tennessee standpoint. The thing that stands out is how he disguises plays. See this quote.

I'm telling you, this is Joe Gibbs 2.0. Gibbs used to talk about running the same plays from multiple formations, and multiple plays out of the same formation. Teams never "knew what was coming" like we used to hear about Jay Gruden or Scott Turner.

I'm hoping we land him.

you brought back great memories by mentioning Gibbs

hopefully they can create the same type of magic that led to 3 superbowls

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
you brought back great memories by mentioning Gibbs

hopefully they can create the same type of magic that led to 3 superbowls

Gibbs used to run tons of pre snap motion, to keep the other team guessing. Then he'd run running plays or passing plays from the same formation, again keeping defenses guessing. He would find plays that worked in games and run the same play from multiple different formations. He would also mix in trick plays at all the right times, setting them up by running the same plays a few times to get the defense thinking they knew what was coming, then run the halfback option or flea flicker and leave the defenses just scratching their head.

NFL offensive design and play calling hasn't fundamentally changed in a while. Its still all about deception and execution. Formations and routes come and go, but the fundamental concepts haven't changed in forever. Its amazing how some OC's forget this and some master it.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I’ve been thinking about this — the concern that due to his coming into the organization now, that we will somehow be behind other orgs in preparation for FA and the draft.

That, I simply do not see as an issue. Peter’s already HAS his views on pretty much any player available to us. He’s been doing this job already, just not here.

The disconnect, and probably why “alignment” is being used, is because he’s going to have to overrule the current regime, and I’d imagine, quite a bit. He’s going with his vision (good), but he’s still got to delegate duties to people to make it happen. He needs a staff. They have one now. I’d wager most of it will be kept thru April, and then we will see a lot more change.

We could still see one of the Marty’s getting dumped, and replaced with one of “his guys”, but it won’t be sweeping. He simply cannot.

They have kept most all the coaching staff and the new HC and Peters will be able to interview them all. Seems like if they see an assistant who shows insight and good player evaluation, they may keep them. If they are excuse makers or don't know how to evaluate their own talent, then they go. I'm not expecting a massive turnaround in 2024, Joe Gibbs was 8-8 his first year. It takes time to turn over a roster and they'll almost certainly have a rookie QB. I do expect them to compete for a division title in 2025 though.

Reactions: ynotcaps

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Gibbs used to run tons of pre snap motion, to keep the other team guessing. Then he'd run running plays or passing plays from the same formation, again keeping defenses guessing. He would find plays that worked in games and run the same play from multiple different formations. He would also mix in trick plays at all the right times, setting them up by running the same plays a few times to get the defense thinking they knew what was coming, then run the halfback option or flea flicker and leave the defenses just scratching their head.

NFL offensive design and play calling hasn't fundamentally changed in a while. Its still all about deception and execution. Formations and routes come and go, but the fundamental concepts haven't changed in forever. Its amazing how some OC's forget this and some master it.
some OC's overthink the game , it still comes down deception and to a greater extent execution as you said

GIbbs would run the counter trey endlessly , teams knew it was coming but we still grinded out 1st downs which would set up our passing game.

i'm just hoping the new regime can build a solid o/l quickly so Maye if he's our pick doesn't get busted up before the teams ready to hopefully compete

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
since i doubt get the coverage in Toronto you guys do can someone explain why we passed on Gonzales when he fell to us and picked a rail thin Forbes

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
since i doubt get the coverage in Toronto you guys do can someone explain why we passed on Gonzales when he fell to us and picked a rail thin Forbes
No one was happy with that pic. Everyone knew it was the disaster. The second they announced it thankfully all those people are out of the building or soon to be.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As this is over 5k posts, and has an offensive name in the title, I move we start a new thread….with a positive title that doesn’t have the evil one’s name….

Need over BPA….they made the dumb mistake of chasing what they thought they needed.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

The announced thought process was that Forbes had a huge amount of Ints and Pick 6's in college and they wanted the "ball hawk" to help create turnovers - something Del Rio's defense was lacking. That was what the coaches said at the time and it made sense only on a very superficial level.

I mentioned at the time he was drafted that he was picking off a lot of college QBs who would be working on Wall St or Jiffy Lube next year, and NFL QBs will eat his lunch with pump fakes and eye movement, and NFL WRs will destroy him with double moves. That's exactly how his rookie season went, he got burned really badly and had only 1 Int all year.

Reactions: hotpaws

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1705520747493.png

There it is. Probably getting DC offers as expected.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They have kept most all the coaching staff and the new HC and Peters will be able to interview them all. Seems like if they see an assistant who shows insight and good player evaluation, they may keep them. If they are excuse makers or don't know how to evaluate their own talent, then they go. I'm not expecting a massive turnaround in 2024, Joe Gibbs was 8-8 his first year. It takes time to turn over a roster and they'll almost certainly have a rookie QB. I do expect them to compete for a division title in 2025 though.
Turnarounds can happen awfully fast in the NFL, with the correct leaders in place. We see it all the time.

So I’m not yet ready to “punt” on next year. With the correct draft and the correct usage of the 90-100m in salary cap space…..AND the correct coach, I think they could spring back to 7-11 wins. Their schedule is seemingly super easy, so?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I’ve been thinking about this — the concern that due to his coming into the organization now, that we will somehow be behind other orgs in preparation for FA and the draft.

That, I simply do not see as an issue. Peter’s already HAS his views on pretty much any player available to us. He’s been doing this job already, just not here.

The disconnect, and probably why “alignment” is being used, is because he’s going to have to overrule the current regime, and I’d imagine, quite a bit. He’s going with his vision (good), but he’s still got to delegate duties to people to make it happen. He needs a staff. They have one now. I’d wager most of it will be kept thru April, and then we will see a lot more change.

We could still see one of the Marty’s getting dumped, and replaced with one of “his guys”, but it won’t be sweeping. He simply cannot.
I do remain hopeful for this upcoming draft it was more the later rounds gems that SF was able to find with their scouting staff. Who knows the Commander's college scouts could be decent but with the decision makers at the top making the pick not great I guess we'll see.

One thing I recall vividly about the Gibbs 1.0 era is the half time adjustments were always good. There as generally more success in the second half even if they didn't ultimately win the game.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Turnarounds can happen awfully fast in the NFL, with the correct leaders in place. We see it all the time.

So I’m not yet ready to “punt” on next year. With the correct draft and the correct usage of the 90-100m in salary cap space…..AND the correct coach, I think they could spring back to 7-11 wins. Their schedule is seemingly super easy, so?

Agreed but I think if they draft the QB at 2, they'll take their lumps with him playing and thats the big X Factor.

Reactions: Ridley Simon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad