New Logo and Heritage Jersey

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm tired of the orange and blue. I now associate those jerseys with losing. Time to go back to the jerseys we used in 05-06. I believe the secret lies in the oil rigger logo

I agree with this. When I see the 05-06 jerseys, I immediately think of Pisani skating in on the breakaway in Game 5, and putting it in the net in OT.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
JasonPalmer-EDM%28BladesOfSteel%29.png

I still don't know why the Oilers were green and yellow in that game. Meanwhile the Northstars were white/purple.

Chalk it up to hockey not being big in Japan, I guess.

^yup vomit green would just about sum up Oilers hockey the last 10 years! :(

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm awesome, and you're not.

Guy, I was GM of the month in my EHM hockey league in 2005, I doubt any of you have achieved such a goal, So please do not knock my jersey ideas, as I have just shown I do have a wealth of knowledge where hockey is concerned.*

*I also make the best Hoffman for Hall proposals.

enjoy your "thrift store hats" bro.

Robotdanceparty

Feb 24, 2015
Oh yeah, I guess that means it never happened. :shakehead Stupid to change an iconic logo like the Oilers have.

I don't think anyone wants them to throw it out and never use it again. To say it's stupid to add something new would be silly. Boston, NewYork, Toronto, Detriot, are original six and have all used different logo's. In fact 2/3 of the league is older and only a couple teams have stuck with the exact same logo. Canadians are the only team I can think of that have never changed.

Ogopogo*

I don't think anyone wants them to throw it out and never use it again. To say it's stupid to add something new would be silly. Boston, NewYork, Toronto, Detriot, are original six and have all used different logo's. In fact 2/3 of the league is older and only a couple teams have stuck with the exact same logo. Canadians are the only team I can think of that have never changed.

When you have a bad logo or no identity, change away. When you have one of the most iconic logos in sports, you leave it alone.

New York had their name written diagonally, the made it diagonal in a shield. Meh. The Bruins went from a lame bear to the iconic B. Should they change again? Nope. The Oilers have one of the best logos in sports. Where do you go from that? Only down, as we saw with the McFarlane thing.

McDonald's, Ford and Apple don't need to change, neither do we.

Robotdanceparty

Feb 24, 2015
When you have a bad logo or no identity, change away. When you have one of the most iconic logos in sports, you leave it alone.

New York had their name written diagonally, the made it diagonal in a shield. Meh. The Bruins went from a lame bear to the iconic B. Should they change again? Nope. The Oilers have one of the best logos in sports. Where do you go from that? Only down, as we saw with the McFarlane thing.

The Bruins have had a few different bear jerseys, a couple of which I think look pretty darn good, NyR also had the statue of liberty which I'll mention for transparency although I dont think it helps my case.

McDonalds, Ford have tweaked their logo slightly and I remember apple being all rainbowy. Even Coca Cola and Pepsi have tweaked their logo's from time to time.

Like I said before, I don't want the logo gone. I love the original, but I find myself wanting to see something fresh as well. Just as a 3rd even. Maybe I am just looking for a good excuse to spend money I don't have on a jersey I don't need:laugh:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

You sure love the word Iconic dont you?

In all of sports you say? That would be a stretch. I'd love to see your rankings of all the ICONIC logos and see who you have ahead or below the Oilers.

northern2020

Nov 23, 2003
I'm an artist and I've put a lot of thought into uniforms and logos.

In my opinion, the Oilers logo should be kept forever. It's actually a very sophisticated and unique design. The jerseys, pants and socks, etc however could be made to look a little less busy and more streamlined and modern. I will always want to see the colours as they are, but I also wish we could have some tweaks to those as well. I know it's been done, and I like the orange ones, but it's still the same colours. But I can't have it all -because what I'd really like, as the OP suggested, is an all new logo and uniform design for the alternate. Something very cool with a simple but strong logo and unique colours. I've been sketching for a long time. :)

The McFarlane logo is not welcome back as far as I'm concerned.

I did an analysis of the Oilers logo a while back as follows:

The Oilers logo is original and intriguing. It can be broken down in many ways, providing varied, compelling imagery, and there is nothing like it in other logo designs. First, it can be seen as a cross-section of a pipe - the letters elongated, representing the reflection on a liquid (oil), a ghostly inner chamber. The upright bars extending from the letters also call to mind a vent, perhaps in a burning furnace, being fueled by the oil that drips from above. The situation of the drop graphically interacts with the strong outer contour of the circle where it breaks at the top, drawing the eye into the center of the logo. The drop being at the top is nearly mystical in that the fuel is depicted as an ever present source of energy, as though coming from above, like mana, seeming like a third eye, the guiding light that connects us to the land - the oil. The rendering of this third eye is also reinforced by the abstract effect of teeth below in the barred lettering which creates yet another reference, that of the gaping maw of an elemental beast.

I just had an edible and read this - lol I never saw this in the logo before but thank you for the mind warping trip for a few mins

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just as long as they dont go back to the ugly Reebok jerseys that Moreau Cogs and Penner had to wear when they first came out. God those were horrawful

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Would anyone else like to see another attempt at a different logo?

I know a lot of people like the McFarland one, I would kind of like to see something completely new. I think I have become a little jealous of teams like LA and Pittsburgh who have multiple colour schemes and logos that mostly all look great.

It seems like an appropriate time to go for a full new branding. New Arena, New Core, New Management. If there was ever a team trying to fully recreate their identity it would be the Oilers right now.

Also I can't help but wonder what we do as a heritage jersey seeing as our uniforms right now are already kind of throwbacks.

I would have no problem with a new logo as a 3rd jersey but don't change the home and away. We have some of the best jerseys in the league right now and I don't want to change that. I like when teams can have consistency in their jerseys over a long period of time instead of always rebranding.

Till the day I die, I'll be hoping for a green, and gold, Oilers jersey.

Same layout, same logo, just green, and gold, baby. That would be a great third imo.

Personally i like the original WHA logo with the red in it. I remember seeing a Gretzky McFarlane promo picture where the Gretzky had THAT jersey on. I thought it looked soo slick. It was never an NHL jersey though and I guess because of that it ended up only being a teaser and not the actual finished product.

I am not a big fan of the current throwbacks. Its an 80s throw back and i think holds the wrong message.
Id love to see the 90s jerseys pulled out and used as the main jerseys. The Blue and Copper, with the Rigger shoulder patch, should represent the work ethic and standards the team will hold itself accountable to. That 90s era was dark BUT it was a hard working exciting team THAT NEVER was blessed with the kind of talent this current squad has.
I think going to the Blue and Copper, and Rigger, sends a strong message and immediately will have people redefining who should be ont his team and who should be leaving.
Those 80s throw-backs have no place here...especially in our ivision

I love the idea of the Green and Gold. I dont like the idea of changing the logo though. Logo changes are never nice. Vintage is always best. The Oilers i think have one of the best logos in sports (after original logos). Simplicity is always best.
I love the Wilds logo when i see it huge...but on a jersey its just clutter. Same with so many logos. The Oilers is simple, and instantly recognizable, like all the BEST logos.

Turn the 90s Rigger jerseys into your 3rd and replace the dark blue with Green and the Copper droplet and Red bands with Gold.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

All the OG6 teams have had minor variations on the same logo for years. Even the Leafs logo has, conceptually at least, stayed the same. Anytime any of these teams have dabbled in a modernized alternative logo, the results have been....not good.

That said, I'd not be adverse to a few tweaks to the logo, mainly to the font to smooth some of the 70s away, but I'm talking minor, minor stuff like when the Bruins tweaked the spoked B in 2007. But I don't see a compelling need for even that.

Ogopogo*

You sure love the word Iconic dont you?

In all of sports you say? That would be a stretch. I'd love to see your rankings of all the ICONIC logos and see who you have ahead or below the Oilers.

I consider our logo among the most "iconic" in all of sports along the lines of: Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins, NY Yankees, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Cowboys, Carlton Blues....it exudes history, tradition and is a great design.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I still don't see green and yellow when I look at that. Looks the same as our home and away.

Unprofessional analysis here, but have you been tested for colorblindness? Because that sounds like some form of tritanopia.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I loved the sweaters we wore from the mid 90s to mid 2000s. The navy blue was awesome.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Unprofessional analysis here, but have you been tested for colorblindness? Because that sounds like some form of tritanopia.

It looks like someone just took a color filter to the original blue and orange design. Using an actual bold green and gold scheme would look sharper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad