New Logo and Heritage Jersey

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
JasonPalmer-EDM%28BladesOfSteel%29.png

I still don't know why the Oilers were green and yellow in that game. Meanwhile the Northstars were white/purple.

Chalk it up to hockey not being big in Japan, I guess.

Eh! That's #theDress2.0 I saw orange and blue then zoomed up and seen the green and yellow.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Chalk it up to hockey not being big in Japan, I guess.

I think it was more so you dont have 2 blue teams, or 2 red teams etc playing at the same time, which would make a game between the Oilers and Islanders on that game mighty difficult to play haha

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
yes, i would like a new logo. or just go back to the McFarlane drill bit. that would have become iconic in time, like the Redwing tire.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I can't really wrap my head around this. Can any of our photoshop experts take a crack at it?

The orange jerseys are good. But I think the Oilers should do a different 3rd every season. That will increase sales to collectors(some folks are going to want every version of McDavid's jersey). More money for the team helps with non cap controlled spending(management, trainers, scouting, medical staff, perks). I'd like to see the Oilers rich enough to hire the best of the best in terms of scouts and doctors. Send trainer/development teams to each non AHL prospect to help with skating, nutrition, etc. Be able to do things to increase the team's reputation so more players and their families are willing to come here.

I am not sure how I feel about different logos though. I liked the "Spawn" jersey and own one. But the logo is tradition. I think they can play around with orange/copper/gold and various shades of blue and come up with lots of ideas while keeping the traditional logo, or at most playing with it a bit.

Not a bad idea but I'm pretty sure that teams need to commit to two seasons when they declare a third jersey. They could do special edition jerseys though I think (like the orange ones were this year). The difference is a third jersey is 15 games per year while special edition is no more than 7.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Black jersey with blue and silver highlights. Completely re-designed Oilers logo or maybe just the oil rigger as the crest

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Black jersey with blue and silver highlights. Completely re-designed Oilers logo or maybe just the oil rigger as the crest

The whole point of the heritage classic is to celebrate the past. Using the kind of jersey you suggest is antithetical to the event. Think retro, not futuristic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Black or very dark blue + mettalic copper (almost gold like).

Like Roli's mask (copper):

roloson_new.jpg

And the Oilers door:

Matthew-McK-T-Pics-018.jpg

That would be a pretty slick jersey IMO.

Keep the logo, I don't like logo changes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pretty sure for the Heritage game vs. Winnipeg they're just going to be rocking the white versions of the Alberta Oilers unis:

11170971.jpg

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
yup when I see the current jerseys now all I think is LOSERS so I would be all for changing it up. Maybe the players whove been through all the losing would feel a bit differently in new colours.

Ogopogo*

Would anyone else like to see another attempt at a different logo?

I know a lot of people like the McFarland one, I would kind of like to see something completely new. I think I have become a little jealous of teams like LA and Pittsburgh who have multiple colour schemes and logos that mostly all look great.

It seems like an appropriate time to go for a full new branding. New Arena, New Core, New Management. If there was ever a team trying to fully recreate their identity it would be the Oilers right now.

Also I can't help but wonder what we do as a heritage jersey seeing as our uniforms right now are already kind of throwbacks.

No. We have one of the best logos in the league, there is no need for some lame attempt to sell more jerseys. Never did like the McFarlane one.

Ogopogo*

yup when I see the current jerseys now all I think is LOSERS so I would be all for changing it up. Maybe the players whove been through all the losing would feel a bit differently in new colours.

Odd, all I think is 5 time champions

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Oil nickname is black gold . So I would like to see a black Jersey gold lettering and a gold oil derrick with Oil spurting out the top . Just as a extra special occasion Jersey Use it at outdoor classic.

orangeshinpads

Jan 27, 2007
Vancouver
I'm an artist and I've put a lot of thought into uniforms and logos.

In my opinion, the Oilers logo should be kept forever. It's actually a very sophisticated and unique design. The jerseys, pants and socks, etc however could be made to look a little less busy and more streamlined and modern. I will always want to see the colours as they are, but I also wish we could have some tweaks to those as well. I know it's been done, and I like the orange ones, but it's still the same colours. But I can't have it all -because what I'd really like, as the OP suggested, is an all new logo and uniform design for the alternate. Something very cool with a simple but strong logo and unique colours. I've been sketching for a long time. :)

The McFarlane logo is not welcome back as far as I'm concerned.

I did an analysis of the Oilers logo a while back as follows:

The Oilers logo is original and intriguing. It can be broken down in many ways, providing varied, compelling imagery, and there is nothing like it in other logo designs. First, it can be seen as a cross-section of a pipe - the letters elongated, representing the reflection on a liquid (oil), a ghostly inner chamber. The upright bars extending from the letters also call to mind a vent, perhaps in a burning furnace, being fueled by the oil that drips from above. The situation of the drop graphically interacts with the strong outer contour of the circle where it breaks at the top, drawing the eye into the center of the logo. The drop being at the top is nearly mystical in that the fuel is depicted as an ever present source of energy, as though coming from above, like mana, seeming like a third eye, the guiding light that connects us to the land - the oil. The rendering of this third eye is also reinforced by the abstract effect of teeth below in the barred lettering which creates yet another reference, that of the gaping maw of an elemental beast.

Last edited:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
From 25-30 years ago. Change is a good thing.

So is consistency.The Oilers are one of the few non OG 6 teams who haven't mucked with their logo in a meaningful way. Philly and St. Louis I think are the only others that come to mind. The one time they tried something new (with McFarlane's spiky grease wheel of death) it was a disaster. The Oilers logo is a classic, it works. Don't **** with it.

Robotdanceparty

Feb 24, 2015
I'm an artist and I've put a lot of thought into uniforms and logos.

In my opinion, the Oilers logo should be kept forever. It's actually a very sophisticated and unique design. The jerseys, pants and socks, etc however could be made to look a little less busy and more streamlined and modern. I will always want to see the colours as they are, but I also wish we could have some tweaks to those as well. I know it's been done, and I like the orange ones, but it's still the same colours. But I can't have it all -because what I'd really like, as the OP suggested, is an all new logo and uniform design for the alternate. Something very cool with a simple but strong logo and unique colours. I've been sketching for a long time. :)

The McFarlane logo is not welcome back as far as I'm concerned.

I did an analysis of the Oilers logo a while back as follows:

The Oilers logo is original and intriguing. It can be broken down in many ways, providing varied, compelling imagery, and there is nothing like it in other logo designs. First, it can be seen as a cross-section of a pipe - the letters elongated, representing the reflection on a liquid (oil), a ghostly inner chamber. The upright bars extending from the letters also call to mind a vent, perhaps in a burning furnace, being fueled by the oil that drips from above. The situation of the drop graphically interacts with the strong outer contour of the circle where it breaks at the top, drawing the eye into the center of the logo. The drop being at the top is nearly mystical in that the fuel is depicted as an ever present source of energy, as though coming from above, like mana, seeming like a third eye, the guiding light that connects us to the land - the oil. The rendering of this third eye is also reinforced by the abstract effect of teeth below in the barred lettering which creates yet another reference, that of the gaping maw of an elemental beast.

Cool in depth break down of the logo. I like the Oilers logo and would never want to see it disappear. To reiterate though, really feel like this new era needs it's own visuals. Would love to see some concepts!!!

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
The Oilers logo and colours are one of the few absolutely perfect brands in pro sports. It's iconic - please leave it forever. The McFarlane 3rds were horrible. The copper/blue/red was only tolerable because of the fond 06' memories I have now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad