New KOTOR game in development (No EA or BioWare)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Didn't Ubisoft just get to take over development of Star Wars games? It's probably going to be essentially an Assassin's Creed game set in The Old Republic, which if that excites you nothing wrong with that. But if you're hoping for a continuation of something similar to KOTOR 1 and 2 don't count on it. Those games were made by the old Bioware prior to the EA acquisition, a team that essentially doesn't exist anymore.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Didn't Ubisoft just get to take over development of Star Wars games? It's probably going to be essentially an Assassin's Creed game set in The Old Republic, which if that excites you nothing wrong with that. But if you're hoping for a continuation of something similar to KOTOR 1 and 2 don't count on it. Those games were made by the old Bioware prior to the EA acquisition, a team that essentially doesn't exist anymore.

No, you’ve got it wrong

Star Wars games can be made by multiple developers, instead of just EA now. Ubisoft is making an open-world Star Wars game, but nothing so far indicates this is the game. It’s highly likely more than one developer is making a Star Wars game right now since they’re cash cows.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Well, they've said "you'll never guess" who the developers are, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say Firaxis, and it'll have an X-Com style turn based combat (remember all the original Bioware RPGs had that pseudo turn based combat)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Well, they've said "you'll never guess" who the developers are, so I'm going to go out on a limb and say Firaxis, and it'll have an X-Com style turn based combat (remember all the original Bioware RPGs had that pseudo turn based combat)

What a big, poop-filled, stinky diaper that would be. TBC Star Wars game? No thanks

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
The developers will turn out to be GameFreak and the game will feature Force-sensitive creatures that are called Midimons.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Ubisoft game is being done by Massive, so good bet that game is basically gonna be The Division with a Star Wars skin.

What a big, poop-filled, stinky diaper that would be. TBC Star Wars game? No thanks

KOTOR was turn based combat...

Firaxis makes awesome games, so Id be down if it was them.

I’ll guess the Baldur’s Gate 3 guys. Their stock has been rising sharply over the last few years.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
The Ubisoft game is being done by Massive, so good bet that game is basically gonna be The Division with a Star Wars skin.

KOTOR was turn based combat...

Firaxis makes awesome games, so Id be down if it was them.

I’ll guess the Baldur’s Gate 3 guys. Their stock has been rising sharply over the last few years.

Actually, I think that system might fit Star Wars really well so here's hoping.

Mind you, would this game deal with Revan? I never really got into SWTOR but I imagine that game has somewhat explained the hole where KOTOR 3 is suppose to be.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Reactions: ChroniclesOfRittich

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I think a good number of people were turned off after initially playing it and going into it thinking it was going to play like The Force Unleashed or something where you go up and smack the guy in real time

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think a good number of people were turned off after initially playing it and going into it thinking it was going to play like The Force Unleashed or something where you go up and smack the guy in real time

For sure it was that. I didn't find the story all that compelling. I think the equipment, maps, and strategies got me hooked. The story got better to as it went on.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Actually, I think that system might fit Star Wars really well so here's hoping.

Mind you, would this game deal with Revan? I never really got into SWTOR but I imagine that game has somewhat explained the hole where KOTOR 3 is suppose to be.

I don't remember the story point for point but SWTOR's use of Revan amounted to him being resurrected in a manner that required the Republic and Empire to unite to put him down in a boss fight that made Palpatine look like a nutrient deficient schoolboy.

So I'd say it didn't really.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I don't remember the story point for point but SWTOR's use of Revan amounted to him being resurrected in a manner that required the Republic and Empire to unite to put him down in a boss fight that made Palpatine look like a nutrient deficient schoolboy.

So I'd say it didn't really.

IIRC Revan was only an expansion in SWTOR and he was only in an operation/instance and wasnt actually a part of the SWTOR story, which also IIRC, is a different story for all the classes

Reactions: JBeast

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
IIRC Revan was only an expansion in SWTOR and he was only in an operation/instance and wasnt actually a part of the SWTOR story, which also IIRC, is a different story for all the classes
Nah it was a full story expansion added well after the inclusion of the Foundry flashpoint (which is all about the Sith Empire hunting down Revan who had lived 300 extra years after KOTOR).

I read up on what happened to Revan under the SWTOR lore and I mean it's a fanfic in force absurdism that makes all the new Force shit in the sequel trilogy look absolutely tame by comparison. (granted in one of the SWTOR expansions Vitiate literally possesses like 80% of a planet's population at once)

Best way I could condense it is Revan broke off from a family life with Bastila to take on Emperor Vitiate with a couple others, got locked in a stasis chamber surviving for 300 years by channeling the light and dark side of the force through him simultaneously as Vitiate tried for 300 years to break him (which led to the Empire not attacking the Republic for those three centuries)

Sooo. If they want to continue Revan's storyline under Bioware's lore then Revan would still be alive and I suppose they could do Revan's quest to kill Vitiate as the subject matter of the third game but it would need to be massively rewritten just to allow for a game with the branching narrative depth of KOTOR and really to work out the heavy fan fic material (that basically made Revan and Vitiate force gods that made Palpatine look like an anemic puppy) to hold up to KOTOR's enduring legacy.

Or retcon the entire KOTOR>SWTOR timeline and write a new Revan adventure altogether (which would be more likely since this game would likely be published as Disney canon the way Battlefront 2 was).

Or just write about someone other than Revan. However I would really like Revan and the characters of KOTOR to be canonized in the official EU. Making him the focus of KOTOR 3 could do that. Even if that past lore is part of now non canon.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Using Revan again is dumb anyway.

The whole point of the first game was the twist which is resolved.

You don't play Revan in KOTOR II, and I don't expect you would in KOTOR III either. Revan has already left for the Unknown Regions at this point.

There's a gap between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR with more than enough room for a narrative, with or without Revan.

As for playing as Revan, there's no real character development or arc for Revan himself/herself at this point, and with a game, you generally don't start as a powerful Force Lord but usually as a Level 1 character, so having him/her start over AGAIN at the beginning just seems convenient.

HanSolo said:
I read up on what happened to Revan under the SWTOR lore and I mean it's a fanfic in force absurdism that makes all the new Force shit in the sequel trilogy look absolutely tame by comparison.

Well, I played through all 8 class stories and all of the expansions, so here's my two cents.

As for Revan's "arc" in SWTOR, he's actually a clever and manipulative threat to both the Empire and Republic which I think is consistent with his legend.

In his damaged mind, the most peaceful outcome for the galaxy is one where he is in command, in order to deal with the threat of Vitiate, and he engineers conflict between both sides towards that goal while subverting influential officials from both camps.

It's a fun little adventure as you peel back the layers of his mysterious conspiracy, including establishing opponents that were your allies in far earlier parts of the story. It's not immediately established that Revan is behind the sequence of events so it's a fun reveal.

The force battle that you refer to only occurs at the very end of a fairly long series of adventures that occur on multiple planets across the galaxy.

Interestingly, there's a very recent storyline involving Vitiate again (in finality) in which Revan plays another minor role.

HanSolo said:
Sooo. If they want to continue Revan's storyline under Bioware's lore then Revan would still be alive and I suppose they could do Revan's quest to kill Vitiate as the subject matter of the third game but it would need to be massively rewritten just to allow for a game with the branching narrative depth of KOTOR and really to work out the heavy fan fic material (that basically made Revan and Vitiate force gods that made Palpatine look like an anemic puppy) to hold up to KOTOR's enduring legacy.

I don't really have a problem with Palpatine's relative lack of strength in the force compared with Vitiate (and Revan for that matter).

The time of the Old Republic is a zenith of sorts for force-users and knowledge of the Force in general - so I don't particularly have issue with the most powerful force-users living in that time.

By the time Palpatine reaches his height, the Rule of Two would massively restrict the sheer number of potential force-users among the Sith and by the same token, the odds of a powerful one emerging.

Much as the characters in the First and Second Ages in the Lord of the Rings canon dwarf the powers of the Third Age, the same applies in the Old Republic universe. Sauron had nothing on Melkor.

The reason they created the Old Republic in the first place was to avoid canon-conflicts with the "present" Star Wars universe and I expect they will do the same again as far as Vitiate is concerned.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Using Revan again is dumb anyway.

The whole point of the first game was the twist which is resolved.

You don't play Revan in KOTOR II, and I don't expect you would in KOTOR III either. Revan has already left for the Unknown Regions at this point.

There's a gap between KOTOR 2 and SWTOR with more than enough room for a narrative, with or without Revan.

As for playing as Revan, there's no real character development or arc for Revan himself/herself at this point, and with a game, you generally don't start as a powerful Force Lord but usually as a Level 1 character, so having him/her start over AGAIN at the beginning just seems convenient.

Well, I played through all 8 class stories and all of the expansions, so here's my two cents.

As for Revan's "arc" in SWTOR, he's actually a clever and manipulative threat to both the Empire and Republic which I think is consistent with his legend.

In his damaged mind, the most peaceful outcome for the galaxy is one where he is in command, in order to deal with the threat of Vitiate, and he engineers conflict between both sides towards that goal while subverting influential officials from both camps.

It's a fun little adventure as you peel back the layers of his mysterious conspiracy, including establishing opponents that were your allies in far earlier parts of the story. It's not immediately established that Revan is behind the sequence of events so it's a fun reveal.

The force battle that you refer to only occurs at the very end of a fairly long series of adventures that occur on multiple planets across the galaxy.

Interestingly, there's a very recent storyline involving Vitiate again (in finality) in which Revan plays another minor role.

I don't really have a problem with Palpatine's relative lack of strength in the force compared with Vitiate (and Revan for that matter).

The time of the Old Republic is a zenith of sorts for force-users and knowledge of the Force in general - so I don't particularly have issue with the most powerful force-users living in that time.

By the time Palpatine reaches his height, the Rule of Two would massively restrict the sheer number of potential force-users among the Sith and by the same token, the odds of a powerful one emerging.

Much as the characters in the First and Second Ages in the Lord of the Rings canon dwarf the powers of the Third Age, the same applies in the Old Republic universe. Sauron had nothing on Melkor.

The reason they created the Old Republic in the first place was to avoid canon-conflicts with the "present" Star Wars universe and I expect they will do the same again as far as Vitiate is concerned.
I still felt Revan and Vitiate being locked in a single force struggle for three hundred years goes too far beyond what my suspension of disbelief can allow which is already pretty high as it is. But something like that puts Revan and Vitiate in a celestial God tier that's a bit too much and I think it cheapens KOTOR's story. And it's really all for the sake of having Revan be alive for the purpose of having him make an appearance in SWTOR.

I still enjoyed Knights of the Fallen Empire somewhat but. Still. It's just a bit too much for me.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yeah after reading the last five posts or so I’m completely okay with them wiping all of that. What a stupid plot. How did they go from legendary storytelling in KOTOR to that garbage?

Reactions: SniperHF

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I thought the Revan story in SWTOR was pretty well done, Vitiate would probably classed as the most powerful Force User in the GFFA, pretty much immortal, could leave his body, devour worlds and his actions went to a fear of dying and losing his power. Revan was powerful in his own right, but even his plans wouldn't effect Vitiate but would instead empower him for a time.

If they do a KOTOR, I'd really prefer that they leave the Revan story as it is. And move onto something else.

As far as the Force powers in SWTOR, except for Vitiate who was basically a representation of the Dark Side, the rest were pretty ordinary. Palpatine was powerful in his own right, but his force powers were more around the ability to see through the force to affect events, and his peerless understanding of politics. But in the ROTS books he was described as a pure representation of the dark side, I think the term was a event horizon in the force.

None of the Jedi or the Sith in games and movies could compare though to the plot adjusters in the EU books where they were blowing up planets, pushing star destroyers out of Star Systems etc.

Oh except for the Sith in the KOTOR 2 games like Nihlus who consumed whole worlds, or Star Killer who pulled a Star Destroyer into the ground.

I look forward to a new KOTOR, though I still play the MMO quite a bit.

Reactions: JBeast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad