Speculation: New Jersey Offseason IX - The Summer of Shero Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Tampa will need to trade Filppula to make space for forwards but that still leaves Namestnikov exposed.

On defense they have issues as well. Assuming they'll protect Hedman and Stralman, they have Garrison, Sustr, Nesterov and Koekkoek to chose from. Both Nesterov and Koekkoek are interesting to me. Especially Koekkoek.

Bottom line is I think Tampa will be one of the teams looking to move D at some point. The market for young defense is going to be flooded next offseason before the expansion draft. In all likelihood we have Greene and Severson protected meaning we can acquire a top 4 guy to protect at some point at a lower value than usual.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The expansion draft is a giant red herring. You can lose a maximum of one player. So if a team has several quality players they might lose, like in the case of Tampa, there's no point in sending 3 guys away for picks. You take your loss and try to replce it internally.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Coburn isn't bad at all. That's ridiculous. If he's "bad" what the hell does that make Moore, Merrill, or most other guys we're gonna ice next year. And 3.7 doesn't seem like all that much if we could grab a 2nd round pick or a prospect as compensation for eating it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Too much term left on Coburn. I would have seriously been more comfortable giving Schlemko 4 years @ a million less per year than Coburn at 3 years + a million more per.

I really like the route of giving a camp invite to one of the vets out there that are without a contract.

Maybe we'll sign this year's version of Schlemko about a week or two before camp, or maybe sometime earlier than that. I don't think this season's Schlemko will be as good as Schlemko was.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Coburn isn't bad at all. That's ridiculous. If he's "bad" what the hell does that make Moore, Merrill, or most other guys we're gonna ice next year. And 3.7 doesn't seem like all that much if we could grab a 2nd round pick or a prospect as compensation for eating it.

They're not going to trade Coburn with a pick - they just signed him to an extension in February.

Coburn is not good and he is 31 with lots of NHL miles on him. He's a 3rd pairing guy who adds no offense at this point. I agree that he's not much different than Merrill or Moore, but at least they have a chance of getting better.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Coburn is a 4/5 at best. I don't really want to pay a declining 4/5 3.7 per for another 3 years unless we're getting something good back.

http://public.tableau.com/shared/98Z8RYT7W?:display_count=yes"]http://public.tableau.com/shared/98Z8RYT7W?:display_count=yes

His stats aren't too pretty.

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Coburn would be our 2nd best defenseman. He's a number 4 or 5 on Tampa, a great team. I'm just looking at our defensive depth chart and I'm not seeing guys who can effectively kill penalties. Greene, Lovejoy, and then who else? Are we gonna ask Santini to shoulder that load? Merrill and Moore stink.

I don't think it's an ideal fit, but we could use a solid veteran and that's what he is.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Coburn would be our 2nd best defenseman. He's a number 4 or 5 on Tampa, a great team. I'm just looking at our defensive depth chart and I'm not seeing guys who can effectively kill penalties. Greene, Lovejoy, and then who else? Are we gonna ask Santini to shoulder that load? Merrill and Moore stink.

I don't think it's an ideal fit, but we could use a solid veteran and that's what he is.

I don't think he's better than Lovejoy - though it's close - and I definitely don't think he is better than Severson.

I'd rather try to sign someone like Kyle Quincey on a 1 year deal.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Coburn's game isn't gonna age horrendously. He skates surprisingly very well, he's not just some big goof who's gonna be a cone in a few years. I'd bet he'll remain pretty effective for at least the next year or 2. Maybe he'll drop off in the final year, but it's not that big of a deal. 3.7 isn't that much to be honest. Andy Greene is nearly 3 years older with with nearly as many games played and he's still going very strong.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I still maintain if we are looking to bring in a D, which we should be, that Wiz is a low cost option that could pay big dividends. Suppose he has a quality season yet we are out of the picture playoff wise, he's the type of player that can provide a nice return at the deadline. If he has a nice season and we are in the playoffs it's all gravy at that point. If we sign him and he stinks we waive him and wash our hands. It's not like it's going to take $5,000,000 to sign him.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I still maintain if we are looking to bring in a D, which we should be, that Wiz is a low cost option that could pay big dividends. Suppose he has a quality season yet we are out of the picture playoff wise, he's the type of player that can provide a nice return at the deadline. If he has a nice season and we are in the playoffs it's all gravy at that point. If we sign him and he stinks we waive him and wash our hands. It's not like it's going to take $5,000,000 to sign him.

I'd be all for this as well. While I do want someone who can help out the PK, the offense that Wiz could bring could really help us. Bottom line is someone should be brought in to give us a modicum of depth.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Coburn's game isn't gonna age horrendously. He skates surprisingly very well, he's not just some big goof who's gonna be a cone in a few years. I'd bet he'll remain pretty effective for at least the next year or 2. Maybe he'll drop off in the final year, but it's not that big of a deal. 3.7 isn't that much to be honest. Andy Greene is nearly 3 years older with with nearly as many games played and he's still going very strong.

He is already a cone relative to the rest of the Lightning; it will only get worse.

I agree that 3.7 isn't much, but when you add a veteran like this to your team, there's a strong chance that the GM and coach will be blind to his failures and will continue to rely on him. We can call it the Salvador effect or the Girardi effect. I'd prefer not to add this sort of player to the team, not when we already have Lovejoy.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
2017 Free Agent Class

Obviously getting ahead of myself but I just looked up the Free Agent class of 2017, and there are some decent names in there that I think would make some sense for the Devils.

Forwards

TJ Oshie - He'd be an amazing fit on the Devils for obvious reasons.

Brad Marchand - We have an abundance of LW, but if getting Marchand was possible you don't pass that up. He'll likely stay in Boston.

Nick Bonino - I'd imagine he'll stay in Pittsburgh, but if he hits the market I'd love Bonino.

Justin Williams - Mr. Game 7.

Alex Steen - getting up there in age but he's a great player.

Patrick Sharp - He's a sniper. Probably not a fit in NJ but his 3 cups can't be ignored.

Jarome Iginla - A 1 year deal would be nice as we aren't so deep at RW.

Patrik Berglund - At the right price he could be a decent bottom six option. A fall back plan though for sure.

Ales Hemsky - Eh, but he's not bad.

Cal Clutterbuck - great 4th line RW.

Defense

Brent Burns - Staying in San Jose. :(

Kevin Shattenkirk - It's Kevin Shattenkirk. I'd offer 7 years 6.85 per.

Karl Alzner - He would be a PERFECT fit on the Devils. I'd offer him 7 years too. Not sure what the price would be but this guy would likely be worth it

Michael Del Zotto - He would also be a perfect guy for the Devils. LHD that pushes the pace offensively.

Dmitry Kulikov - He'd be nice, but he's staying in Buffalo. They wouldn't have traded for him if they weren't gonna keep him.

The bolded guys are who I think the Devils should go HARD after if they make it to free agency. Or try to trade for them if possible - No shot Marchand, Oshie, Alzner are traded tho.

Overall, it's not a very deep UFA class as most of those guys will be resigned.

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
Could see GMs handing out ridiculous contracts again next summer especially with the expansion draft. It'll be interesting to see what Shero does

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Obviously getting ahead of myself but I just looked up the Free Agent class of 2017, and there are some decent names in there that I think would make some sense for the Devils.

Forwards

TJ Oshie - He'd be an amazing fit on the Devils for obvious reasons.

Brad Marchand - We have an abundance of LW, but if getting Marchand was possible you don't pass that up. He'll likely stay in Boston.

Nick Bonino - I'd imagine he'll stay in Pittsburgh, but if he hits the market I'd love Bonino.

Justin Williams - Mr. Game 7.

Alex Steen - getting up there in age but he's a great player.

Patrick Sharp - He's a sniper. Probably not a fit in NJ but his 3 cups can't be ignored.

Jarome Iginla - A 1 year deal would be nice as we aren't so deep at RW.

Patrik Berglund - At the right price he could be a decent bottom six option. A fall back plan though for sure.

Ales Hemsky - Eh, but he's not bad.

Cal Clutterbuck - great 4th line RW.

Defense

Brent Burns - Staying in San Jose. :(

Kevin Shattenkirk - It's Kevin Shattenkirk. I'd offer 7 years 6.85 per.

Karl Alzner - He would be a PERFECT fit on the Devils. I'd offer him 7 years too. Not sure what the price would be but this guy would likely be worth it

Michael Del Zotto - He would also be a perfect guy for the Devils. LHD that pushes the pace offensively. I have a feeling he makes it to UFA.

Dmitry Kulikov - He'd be nice, but he's staying in Buffalo. They wouldn't have traded from him if they weren't gonna keep him.

The bolded guys are who I think the Devils should go HARD after if they make it to free agency. Or try to trade for them if possible - No shot Marchand, Oshie, Alzner are traded tho.

Almost none of those guys interest me.

I love Oshie, he might be one of my favorite NHL players but he's going to get 6-7 years and get too much as 30 year old. He had career-high in goals last year and will probably replicate that this year with Kuznetsov/Backstrom.

Love Marchand but Boston is going to re-sign him. No doubt about it.

As for defense, Alzner will get re-signed and MDZ will too I think. Kulikov will likely stay in Buffalo.

I'm all in on Shattenkirk though. If he makes it to free agency I'll throw cash his way all day.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Could see GMs handing out ridiculous contracts again next summer especially with the expansion draft. It'll be interesting to see what Shero does

I think he should just continue to be patient and not throw out bad contracts. I think he should only go after the bolded players and that's it. I wouldn't mind overpaying a little in price/term for the bolded guys.

Go after the non bolded players but only for the right price and term.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
I think he should just continue to be patient and not throw out bad contracts. I think he should only go after the bolded players and that's it. I wouldn't mind overpaying a little in price/term for the bolded guys.

Go after the non bolded players but only for the right price and term.

Agreed, Shero should push hard for Oshie and Alzner/MDZ. Those are the most realistic options for us

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
How sure are we that Del Zotto stays in PHI?

With Ghost, Provorov, Sanheim - those three look like the LHD for the Flyers for the future.

I think so. He's their best dman right now and he's only 26. Ghost is a RHD as well, or at least he was there last season. MDZ is a really underrated. I think they'd keep him around because none of the young guys are sure things.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
there are less (potential) FAs next year that interest me than there even were this year

plus, a lot of those guys will likely be re-signed

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
The free agent class is pretty garbage. Building through free agency simply isn't a great strategy. If Bennett/DSP don't pan out I think we'd look for a trade instead. The funny thing is that RW depth around the league is god-awful. DSP was in points for the whole league in only 64 games.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
I got thinking of Harrold earlier....

If used correctly, he's an ideal 5/6. Not flash, but can move the puck, put up OK points. Not a massive liability IF USED CORRECTLY.

I think he soured on us becauseDeBoer kept putting him in situations above his actual use. Remember when he played on the wing? He actually looked like a good 4th liner.

I'd take Harrold back for 900k. He wasn't complete trash, just used wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad