GDT: New Jersey Devils vs Ottawa Senators: Meeseeks and Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
And that's why some of us complain about Severson. Winning games =/= "close your eyes on stupid plays"

Right, but he's still a good defenseman. Last game sticks out like a sore thumb because it's the most recent one and it was his worst, but he's still an integral part of the team. If this keeps going for another ~5 games then sure, sit him one time to send the message. But you can't just scratch him because of last game. Fringe players like Hayes and Mueller, yes definitely. There are others waiting in the wings that can play better, but Prout/Lovejoy/Mueller are not better than Severson. Not at all.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Right, but he's still a good defenseman. Last game sticks out like a sore thumb because it's the most recent one and it was his worst, but he's still an integral part of the team. If this keeps going for another ~5 games then sure, sit him one time to send the message. But you can't just scratch him because of last game. Fringe players like Hayes and Mueller, yes definitely. There are others waiting in the wings that can play better, but Prout/Lovejoy/Mueller are not better than Severson. Not at all.
I don't want him scratched. I want him to step up. To play up to his potential. I just hate when people give unwarranted praise/criticism to a player they like/hate. Severson was horrible last game, anyone defending him is being senseless.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
And that's why some of us complain about Severson. Winning games =/= "close your eyes on stupid plays"

It's not just Severson and favorite whipping-boy J.Moore.

The entire defense has played pretty spotty through 6 games, it's just that "winning" as you say, has completely obscured that fact.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
It's not just Severson and favorite whipping-boy J.Moore.

The entire defense has played pretty spotty through 6 games, it's just that "winning" as you say, has completely obscured that fact.
I'm singling Severson, because it's probably the first time I've witnessed someone play that bad, and people jumping the gun to defend him. Thank god it wasn't Moore.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm singling Severson, because it's probably the first time I've witnessed someone play that bad, and people jumping the gun to defend him. Thank god it wasn't Moore.

There's going to be another 5-2 or 6-3 Devils loss before too long, and that will open people's eyes that this defense is shaky.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The only real concern is that Cory could lose confidence and start guessing if his defense lets him down. That is what happened last year and obviously his game went downhill in a hurry.

I think our D has lots of room for improvement, but they also have a really high ceiling. I think Severson being annointed golden boy and #1 pairing D (out of necessity) has played right into his work-ethic concerns. I think getting the boot from Butcher on PP and having Santini move to top pair might be the wake-up call he needs to tighten his game up and really become the stud we're all expecting him to be.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I want to see Johansson-Zacha-Bratt. Mojo and Bratt looked great together in Buffalo.

I really don't like seeing either of those two guys with Henrique. They simply play different games, and those games do not complement each other.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
giphy.gif
Let's do this!

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This has been the most fun I've had watching the Devils since the 2012 team, and before that the 08/09 ZZPops team that scored goals at will. Looking at the talent line-up we've got at the forward position, you have to give Ray Shero credit for completely turning this franchise around and infusing the team with A LOT of good, young, skilled players who are making an impact right now. This is an exciting time to be a fan; let's hope they can keep it up and regain some respect around the league.

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Well now im feeling bad for Eddy. You did a great job with the GDT and im gonna watch some episodes and give the show a chance before i totally chainsaw this down at the feet ankels. (swedish saying).

Lets go Devils!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As the dad of sons who watch Rick and Morty I will admit I was skeptical at first but if you approach it with an open mind you likely find it funny. It plays fast and loose with advanced physics ideas and family dynamics as well. It’s dark more often than not but it’s fun meaningless entertainment. I’m sure it will fade as a pop culture touchstone since it might be two years before another season is released.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Well now im feeling bad for Eddy. You did a great job with the GDT and im gonna watch some episodes and give the show a chance before i totally chainsaw this down at the feet ankels. (swedish saying).

I am too at this point due to curiosity given how this took off like a wildfire it seems.

Bratt should be in top 6 and Mojo should be out of it.

MoJo should received 3rd-line punishment until his play reflects a $4.6M cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad