#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
just got done watching The Kenny Agostino show

total embarrassment, just awful. pretty much official that we are done now

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
I think we can all agree that the chemistry, passion & desire to win on this team is disheartening.

Some players float. Some look disinterested. Some do not belong in the NHL, but the AHL. Some just can't coach on this level.

As a GM, Lou should read this board for a weekend & realize that as die-hard fans, the need to look outside of the organization mindset & see other opinions on what needs to be done might be necessary to right the ship.

Now, some of you may think my comment above is far-fetched, but overall, I would say almost 85% of us agree on what needs to happen:

Coaching staff needs to be replaced. All of them!
Marty cannot be resigned.
Jagr needs to be resigned & made Captain.
Zids gets a 1 year contract, nothing more.

Now, name the 5-7 players who should not be resigned and/or traded. I'm almost positive that we all name the same players.

For me; Salvador, Volchie, Ryder, Brunner, Harrold = either bought out, traded for whatever possible. Bernier should not be resigned.

Matteau, Boucher, Hrabarenka & Wedgewood replace some of the above.

Those who become UFA ~ Gionta, Carter, Gelly & Fayne: Appropriately priced 2-way contracts.

Although none of us are professional GMs, it doesn't matter. We're not blind & can see what is and is not working. The same should apply to Lou as well.

If not, he should read this thread.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Poor Carts, he had a handful of chances to bury one including the waved off goal.

Brunner and Bernier had a chance or two as well.

and Ryder. His shot at the end of the game hit the leg pad and 99 times out of 100 would have deflected into the net but it magically double deflected and came back out more than 90 degrees from the direction it was going.

I think Ramo made 4 or 5 saves without knowing the puck was even coming at him. It was crazy.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Not saying he would have been the answer, but with both Patty & Henrique out what harm would it have been to call up Boucher again. You need offense, they bring up more of what we didn't need, grinders.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
and Ryder. His shot at the end of the game hit the leg pad and 99 times out of 100 would have deflected into the net but it magically double deflected and came back out more than 90 degrees from the direction it was going.

I think Ramo made 4 or 5 saves without knowing the puck was even coming at him. It was crazy.

That one that went off of the Calgary defender's leg and off the inside of the pipe that just sat there before being cleared too. Couldn't believe that didn't go in. I think that was payback for Zajac's "unseen hand" goal from Saturday.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Not sure if posted but Jagr didnt want to take off his equipment after last nights game

DuxKxaa.jpg

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don't know what has happened to Bernier but he has absolutely no finishing ability. Don't see him being back next season.

Camille the Eel

except they didn't finish any more in at least dozen games (or more) when they had everyone. This game was deja vu all over again.

It was not lack of effort tonight all the same. Not at all.

and why did they lose the season series to Columbus? Look back at those games. Three reasons: They got pushed around, turned the puck over in the neutral zone and their own end, and also beat by a quicker, younger team. They were just bowled over in their own end, totally dominated physically down low by the likes of Dubinsky and also exposed by quick counterattacks after turnovers.

next year they need to be physically stronger, faster and finish better offensively. All the roster changes and long term development has to aim at that trinity of things.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
The effort was there, it really was but last night highlighted the fact that we have little in the way of talent. I think we could all agree that if Elias, Henrique, or Clowe had been in the lineup we would have gotten at least a point but they aren’t and our depth is junk. Brunner and Ryder flat out stink. I swear I saw Ryder fall down more than he stood up. Brunner had moments of speed but no finish, a common theme amongst most Devils this season. Now we can turn our eyes towards the offseason and see what transpires.

My guess is there will be some significant changes. As hard as the team has played the last 3 games, this season and last have shown that we have a major issue with offensive depth as well all know. The question now is does Lou, or anyone else if ownership goes a different direction, build for PDB or move on without him. There can be cases made on both sides but when you’re looking at a roster overhaul, my guess would be a different coach. That being said, I could easily see PDB coming back with a very short leash next season, not that I agree with it.

As for players, immediately sign Jagr. More than his offensive output, he brings leadership, guidance, and a sense of humor to this team. Start working with Cory to get him signed long term. He’s shown he is more than capable of being the number one guy and he has been lights out on this team. Buy out Salvador or Volchenkov (I like him but his contract is rough and injuries are just not worth it). Move Ryder and/or Brunner for anything. A bag of pucks would be acceptable. I would not mind seeing Zids back for another season as he really has been impressive this year, dumb penalties and all. Our defense really is good, goaltending is solid, we just need to add 2-3 guys that can actually produce at varying levels and we’ll be good. Do what we can in free agency, bring up some of the kids, and let’s work on this moderate rebuild.

Camille the Eel

. . . Our defense really is good, goaltending is solid, we just need to add 2-3 guys that can actually produce at varying levels and we’ll be good. Do what we can in free agency, bring up some of the kids, and let’s work on this moderate rebuild.

we need to be physically stronger and bigger on defense somewhere along the line. Merrill is great, Larsen can get stronger . . . but we've been shoved around too much, shamelessly. Need to get stronger on the back line. It's essential.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
we need to be physically stronger and bigger on defense somewhere along the line. Merrill is great, Larsen can get stronger . . . but we've been shoved around too much, shamelessly. Need to get stronger on the back line. It's essential.

How is that essential?

We lead the league in preventing shots and would be top five in team GAA if Schneider got more starts.

The issue is definitely NOT in getting stronger on the backend.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I really liked Brunner's game last night. He looks good on the top line with Zajac and Jagr.

Brunner-Zajac-Jagr
Henrique-Elias-Zubrus
Clowe-Ruutu-Ryder
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

OpethNJD

loldevils
Jan 13, 2013
Vernon, Nj
Even though the kovalchuk fiasco was pretty much the worst thing to happen to this team in years, we need to go after a superstar winger again this offseason...too bad I can't think of a single pending ufa off the top of my head. We can't keep grabbing up these 2nd and 3rd liners and expect to win out with depth. Depth only works when you have a stamkos/ovechkin/Crosby on top of the depth chart. Jettison sal volchenkov Ryder and use that cap room to promise a top 10 forward a max contract.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The guys that are available are all projects. Gaborik, Hemsky, Michalek, Heatley...

An absolute NO to Heatley. He's done.

Michalek is a third liner Gaborik is soft and selfish (more so than Kovy)

Hemsky is a mystery to me. He looks dominate some nights but most nights he's a no show.

Keep an eye an amnesty buyouts this year.

Brad Richards looks like he's out. Lou could see him as the backup plan to Stastny.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

lolwut? I gotta see this now even though it's probably a bit masochistic. That play happened at the far end for me so I didn't see it that well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad