GDT: New Jersey Devils @ Chicago Blackhawks - 7:00pm EST / 6:00pm CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I mean, I could probably make an argument he has been right on par with SJ as far as impact goes most nights. He has for sure been better than everyone else that makes up the bottom pairing and 7th D.
I was going to say that, but people know how I feel about SJ. And I do think SJ has been better, but not much.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
I mean, I could probably make an argument he has been right on par with SJ as far as impact goes most nights. He has for sure been better than everyone else that makes up the bottom pairing and 7th D.
With the puck on his stick? Absolutely.

Playing without the puck in his own zone, KK has plenty of work to do in that area. His decision making and reaction time is lacking in his neutral and defensive zone play without the puck. On the 3rd New Jersey goal this past Sunday, there was no earthly reason for KK to be so far to his right when defending the rush.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Playing without the puck in his own zone, KK has plenty of work to do in that area. His decision making and reaction time is lacking in his neutral and defensive zone play without the puck. On the 3rd New Jersey goal this past Sunday, there was no earthly reason for KK to be so far to his right when defending the rush.
I agree on that particular play. I was curious why he was so far right. Mistakes happen with young players, though, and he'll learn. But he's plenty capable of learning at the NHL level.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Can you point to one person who is saying that KK is a finished product?

He obviously has several areas of his game to work on. IMO - he hasn't been overwhelmed by the physicality or pace of play, so I'd rather him get NHL level coaching than in the Dub where there is much less structure. Hawks have no expectations this year - and as long as KK's remains confident and engaged I think it's a good call to keep him up.

Murph is a total anchor. Just reinforces the need to be smart when it comes to contracts for guys whose skating isn't a strength.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Even without the puck on his stick.
Our Dmen are terrible. You could find many plays from all our Dmen this year that make you shake your head.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Find me a player that had their development ruined because they spent their D+2 year in the CHL instead of the NHL.

Do it.

I dare you.
KM - if you weren't aware - you're asking for the impossible, and you do it multiple times in this thread.

There is no way to definitely know who busted because they were rushed, or who could have contributed earlier because they marinated in a development league longer they needed to. Or in another case - who busted because they were rushed but they would have busted regardless because their skillset didn't translate to the NHL, no matter how much time they spent in junior or the AHL.

IMO - it depends a ton on the player. Some guys have the mental toughness and competitiveness to make the jump early - and most don't. I trust LR & the FO, who actually get to look the kid in they eye and have a conversation with him, to make the right call in that regard. It's not like LR is going to sacrifice KK's confidence this year to try and eke out 2 more wins to keep his job. LR know what his job is, and his chance of being successful long term is greatly helped if KK reaches his full potential.

Larmer83

May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Can you point to one person who is saying that KK is a finished product?

He obviously has several areas of his game to work on. IMO - he hasn't been overwhelmed by the physicality or pace of play, so I'd rather him get NHL level coaching than in the Dub where there is much less structure. Hawks have no expectations this year - and as long as KK's remains confident and engaged I think it's a good call to keep him up.

Murph is a total anchor. Just reinforces the need to be smart when it comes to contracts for guys whose skating isn't a strength.
I'm not sure what your point is on the first bolded statement. I was replying to another poster. That question is a good example of a strawman argument.

He has not been overwhelmed by the pace of play, his physicality has been underwhelming. How many hits does he have through 11 games?

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I'm not sure what your point is on the first bolded statement. I was replying to another poster. That question is a good example of a strawman argument.

He has not been overwhelmed by the pace of play, his physicality has been underwhelming. How many hits does he have through 11 games?

Speaking of strawman arguments - what does KK's number of hits have to do with anything. He's 19 and still developing phsyically. I'd rather him trying to concentrate on playing actual effective defense than trying to impose his will physically.

KK definitetely has to continue developing all aspects of his game. IMO, his ability to carry the puck, and activate the offense is something that is sorely missed on the blueline. As long as he's not overwhelmed physically and he stay confident in his game, I don't know what sending him back to the Dub helps him work on what he really needs to.

Larmer83

May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
Speaking of strawman arguments - what does KK's number of hits have to do with anything. He's 19 and still developing phsyically. I'd rather him trying to concentrate on playing actual effective defense than trying to impose his will physically.

KK definitetely has to continue developing all aspects of his game. IMO, his ability to carry the puck, and activate the offense is something that is sorely missed on the blueline. As long as he's not overwhelmed physically and he stay confident in his game, I don't know what sending him back to the Dub helps him work on what he really needs to.
You brought up physicality. The # of hits for KK through 11 games is zero which kind of confirms the eye test that he's not particularly physical.

A defender can rub forwards off the puck and/or challenge them in front of their net and not "try to impose their will physically'.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
You brought up physicality. The # of hits for KK through 11 games is zero which kind of confirms the eye test that he's not particularly physical.

A defender can rub forwards off the puck and/or challenge them in front of their net and not "try to impose their will physically'.

It's a terribly flawed stat, because it's a random person choosing what they determine is a hit or not a hit.

I watched Bedard throw three hits in a game recently, and he didn't get credited for even one.

Larmer83

May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO
It's a terribly flawed stat, because it's a random person choosing what they determine is a hit or not a hit.

I watched Bedard throw three hits in a game recently, and he didn't get credited for even one.
Actually, it's eight random people(7 road, 1 home). In a vacuum, most stats are flawed. In this case it is an easy and somewhat flawed way to confirm my eye test.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Actually, it's eight random people(7 road, 1 home). In a vacuum, most stats are flawed. In this case it is an easy and somewhat flawed way to confirm my eye test.
But you also don't have to throw hits to play "physical".

I get what you're saying. I think as he puts on muscle the physical game will be better, but from what I've seen, he's not afraid to mix it up in front of the net, in the corners, or along the boards, and he definitely battles. Just needs to add strength.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Korchinski hit plenty in juniors. Hell, I've seen him get into it with guys around the net after the whistle in juniors. He's a 19 year old kid feeling his way into the NHL playing against grown men. He'll grow into that. Not every young defenseman comes in guns blazing with their head on fire against grown men.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Larms - my bringing up the physicality was more that KK wasn't being "abused" phyisically and was still able to be effective. Some younger kids without their man-strength just get pushed around so they can't be effective, but I don't think that KK falls into that group. That's my bad if it wasn't clear.

IMO - KK doesn't need to play like Tinordi to be effective. I do think that he'll develop more of a physical presence as he fills out and his confidence increases. I'd just rather that comes naturally and he concentrates on the more immediate stuff right now - positioning, decision making, reading the play, etc. I think he can more effectively do that at NHL speed, with NHL coaches than in the Dub.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Such a weird schedule to start the year. A million road openers, and then multiple weeks with 4-5 consecutive days off. I had assumed there was a game tonight.
Yeah, to say the schedule has been a tough one is an understatement. If Hawks were not in re-build mode, I would be pissed. But since the team is not going anywhere for a few years, I suppose one could look at it as a character builder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad