Prospect Info: New Jersey Devils 1st Round Pick: C Michael McLeod

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I would imagine that they keep McLeod and maybe even Bastian around a while before they return to them to juniors. I'd imagine that they like to get their 1st round pick a little taste of his first NHL train camp at the very least.

That's a good point. I think the chance either makes the team is very low because they each have a lot to work on but getting training camp experience and some preseason games certainly couldn't hurt.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Just doing some reading and found this article, I don't remember seeing:

http://thehockeywriters.com/star-center-will-be-steal-of-the-2016-nhl-draft/

"McLeod is an incredibly skilled all-around player, who has consistently displayed not only strong offensive skills, but also impeccable defensive and faceoff skills. He has the ability to lead the rush, finish his checks, and simply make his teammates better. In the long run, McLeod projects to be a number one or two center in the NHL, drawing comparisons to Taylor Hall for his skating, and Nicklas Backstrom for his vision and overall abilities."

Also notes how is shot is actually pretty good. The more I read about this pick the more I love it.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Just doing some reading and found this article, I don't remember seeing:

http://thehockeywriters.com/star-center-will-be-steal-of-the-2016-nhl-draft/

"McLeod is an incredibly skilled all-around player, who has consistently displayed not only strong offensive skills, but also impeccable defensive and faceoff skills. He has the ability to lead the rush, finish his checks, and simply make his teammates better. In the long run, McLeod projects to be a number one or two center in the NHL, drawing comparisons to Taylor Hall for his skating, and Nicklas Backstrom for his vision and overall abilities."

Also notes how is shot is actually pretty good. The more I read about this pick the more I love it.

It's even more exciting because we also have Hall :handclap: If he pans out close to this assessment...just imagine....

Also, after reading the article, I noticed the praise given for our 2nd round guy Bastian who the writer suggested may be a first round selection. Granted, it's one writer but it's still encouraging to hear words of praise for our draftees. Let's hope they all pan out as well as some have them pegged to.

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hall, Zacha, McLeod, Bastian, Quenneville, Wood....add Santini

That's a heavy team...that could be a nightmare to play against. Those are giants with speed and skill.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I predict that McLeod will turn some heads and impress this week.

It'll be impressive if he does...with Zacha, Quenneville, Wood, Lappin, Coleman, Blandisi, and Auvitu there is going to be a lot of talent there. To turn heads in that group would something special.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a long camp look like Zacha last year before being sent back to juniors.

Unless he is completely out of his element, some NHL practices and preseason games would be good for him.

Be a good time for him to pick up tips on how to better change gears that he can take back to juniors and expand upon

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I wouldn't be shocked if he gets a long camp look like Zacha last year before being sent back to juniors.

Unless he is completely out of his element, some NHL practices and preseason games would be good for him.

Be a good time for him to pick up tips on how to better change gears that he can take back to juniors and expand upon

I might go to all of the preseason games at the Rock this year. Getting a look at all these promising young guys before they get divided up and sent back to their leagues is gonna be sweet. :nod:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
It'll be impressive if he does...with Zacha, Quenneville, Wood, Lappin, Coleman, Blandisi, and Auvitu there is going to be a lot of talent there. To turn heads in that group would something special.

I think it's easier for someone with the raw skills McLeod possess to impress at camps. He'll no doubt be the fastest player on the ice, and when all they're really doing is drills and mini scrimmages his physical skill-set may lead to him impressing more so than others. It's the pre-season games that'll really differentiate him and our more mature/refined prospects.

Not saying he'll blow everyone away, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear that impressed at the end of the week.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That video makes me excited for the future of this franchise.

Even when I was thinking McLeod was a reach at 12 I always thought his highlight reel was as good as anyone's.

Bastians got a sweet one as well, granted there is plenty of overlap, but you see more individual plays with McLeod, but Bastians is chock full of tic tac toes.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Congratulations on your selection of McLeod.....for the record I used to scout in the NHL for the Habs and have several good scouting contacts in the league... all of them right up until the end of the season liked McLeod as a top 6 player in this draft..but a few concerns crept in at the U-18's...he didn't have a great tournament offensively. I had him ranked third overall for the draft as late as March.....by the time I compiled my final rankings he was 7th overall. For me being able to get him at 12th overall while picking up an extra pick was a major coup. He works much harder than Brown on and off the ice..there are no question marks for him going forward IMO.

He was still in a lot of scouts' top 10...I'm not talking about "independent scouts" and the likes of Cox or Button..but NHL scouts...personally I think the knocks on his "offensive upside" have been overblown just as they were for Dylan Larkin...I think his game will translate well to the NHL..and at the very least he'll be a number 2 center for the Devils who will play a very complete game and be one of the best faceoff men and penalty killers in the league. I think you guys got a gem. I saw him live a couple of times this year where he simply blew me away..one of my favourite prospects to watch in the decade that I've been scouting professionally.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Congratulations on your selection of McLeod.....for the record I used to scout in the NHL for the Habs and have several good scouting contacts in the league... all of them right up until the end of the season liked McLeod as a top 6 player in this draft..but a few concerns crept in at the U-18's...he didn't have a great tournament offensively. I had him ranked third overall for the draft as late as March.....by the time I compiled my final rankings he was 7th overall. For me being able to get him at 12th overall while picking up an extra pick was a major coup. He works much harder than Brown on and off the ice..there are no question marks for him going forward IMO.

He was still in a lot of scouts' top 10...I'm not talking about "independent scouts" and the likes of Cox or Button..but NHL scouts...personally I think the knocks on his "offensive upside" have been overblown just as they were for Dylan Larkin...I think his game will translate well to the NHL..and at the very least he'll be a number 2 center for the Devils who will play a very complete game and be one of the best faceoff men and penalty killers in the league. I think you guys got a gem. I saw him live a couple of times this year where he simply blew me away..one of my favourite prospects to watch in the decade that I've been scouting professionally.

Thanks for the input! It seems a lot of people had him in the top 5 to start the season but he kind of fell off. I remember reading someone that said he could've challenged Matthews if it wasn't for his inability to finish.

Good to hear others were still really high on him too. I love this selection personally.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015

Appreciate the insight. I also loved Mcleod in my viewings but when I heard his U18s were not very good while watching Keller and Brown play very offensively dynamic games I ended up wanting them instead of him. I'm very excited to have him he will fit in like a glove in how the way the devils are trying to play and seems to be a safe pick with plenty of upside. Do you think his injury played any part in him not performing up to expectations in the U18s or maybe he ran out of gas (similar to Sergachev)? Thanks again.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Thanks for the info. I started following you on Twitter a week or two before the draft and saw that you were very high on McLeod - had him above guys like Keller, Jost and others that Devils fans were hoping for. Piqued my interest in him and I was surprised there wasn't much discussion on him on the Devils board. Was excited once the Devils picked him based on what you had been saying about him & I've liked the pick even more now that I've been able to do some more research and hear more about him.

Reactions: mdj12784

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Michael McLeod is the Devils' new Blake Coleman

Thought this was an interesting article (should be unlocked) about Mcleod. Seems like he's having a pleasantly decent season from an underlying numbers standpoint as well.

i like todd but that was pretty dumb. the entire comparison is a shot impact map that look similar for both players from 2 different seasons, unless i'm missing something.

i've always been a fan of mcleod but he's got quite a way to go before we start comparing him to coleman.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
i like todd but that was pretty dumb. the entire comparison is a shot impact map that look similar for both players from 2 different seasons, unless i'm missing something.

i've always been a fan of mcleod but he's got quite a way to go before we start comparing him to coleman.

Oh yea I think it was quite a lofty hope haha, but just wanted to pass it along for discussion purposes. Also, maybe McLeod does have hope to continue to serviceable in the future. But yea don’t think he will ever be as good as Coleman.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartyOwns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad