GDT: New Jersey at Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
CF%:
Travis Zajac - 48.7% (54.3% with Hall / 44.5% without)
Adam Henrique - 44.9% (49.3% with Hall / 43.3% without)

Points/60 (5 on 5):
Travis Zajac - 1.80 (19 points, 8 First Assists)
Adam Henrique - 1.61 (16 points, 7 First Assists)

We simply don't have a better option. Zajac has legitimately played like an adequate #1 center when he's played with Hall this year. Ideally, Zajac is a #2 on a great team, but that's fine. He's the last person to be complaining about especially considering there's still a decent gap in his play over Henrique.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Zacha has been coming along lately. I noticed last few nights he started using his speed more he is clearly getting more and more comfortable with the speed of the NHL.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
C2yZZCeUUAAz_ED.jpg

Phillys scorer has got to be high. theres nooooo way philly had that many 5v5 shot attempts in a game with 13 power plays. Yes they had a push in the second and a bit in the 3rd, but there were so many penalties. they were certainly not dominating 5v5 at all minus 3 or 4 shifts.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Phillys scorer has got to be high. theres nooooo way philly had that many 5v5 shot attempts in a game with 13 power plays. Yes they had a push in the second and a bit in the 3rd, but there were so many penalties. they were certainly not dominating 5v5 at all minus 2 or 3 shifts.

it does seem high….as for stats

devils players blocked 32 shots…..flyers had 11

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
All three 2015 1st rounders played well, Zacha, Ivan and Konecny.

Konecny got a way with a late hit on PAP.
I'm sure the Devils will remember that during the next game.

Zacha DID show me a glimpse of a scoring power forward on the entire shift leading up to his slick goal.

Kink was very good last night.

Going back to Friday vs MTL, yes the Devils played lousy, but, if it were not for the incorrect 5-min major call they did have an honest chance to get at least a point.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
All three 2015 1st rounders played well, Zacha, Ivan and Konecny.

Konecny got a way with a late hit on PAP.
I'm sure the Devils will remember that during the next game.

Zacha DID show me a glimpse of a scoring power forward on the entire shift leading up to his slick goal.

Kink was very good last night.

Going back to Friday vs MTL, yes the Devils played lousy, but, if it were not for the incorrect 5-min major call they did have an honest chance to get at least a point.

In Montreal they played hard but their execution skill wise was poor. That and the penalties led to their downfall.

Execution last night was much much better.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Zacha completely dominated the play leading up to his goal. By no means am I saying I think he will ever become an Evgeni Malkin, but when I think of controlling a play like that I think of Evgeni Malkin.

Wood's speed is an absolute weapon.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Zacha completely dominated the play leading up to his goal. By no means am I saying I think he will ever become an Evgeni Malkin, but when I think of controlling a play like that I think of Evgeni Malkin.

Wood's speed is an absolute weapon.

And Zacha is better defensively than Malkin right now :)

I only semi jest with that.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
it does seem high….as for stats

devils players blocked 32 shots…..flyers had 11

Yeah I could care less if they get more shot attempts when so many of them are bad ones or ones easily blocked. Actual shots on goal were 36-29, I don't give a hoot if the Flyers fling a lot of desperation attempts toward the net late in a 4-1 game that get blocked.

I don't even know why people call shot attempts possession stats, shot attempts in themselves are no indicator of possession. Zacha-Bennett possess the puck a lot without getting shots on net. Same with late-career Zubrus.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Yeah I could care less if they get more shot attempts when so many of them are bad ones or ones easily blocked. Actual shots on goal were 36-29, I don't give a hoot if the Flyers fling a lot of desperation attempts toward the net late in a 4-1 game that get blocked.

I don't even know why people call shot attempts possession stats, shot attempts in themselves are no indicator of possession. Zacha-Bennett possess the puck a lot without getting shots on net. Same with late-career Zubrus.

Is that why Bennett is 3rd on the team in shots for while on the ice? Zacha is 6th. So yeah, gonna have to call BS on that one.

If you're just circling with the puck in the corner, you're not doing a whole lot, but that should be reflected in your numbers. Either you have more shots for or less shots against. People have done studies on this and while they haven't looked at it a ton, they've concluded that zone time and shot stats line up pretty closely.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wood is an animal. Love this kid. Great finish by Zacha, too. Zajac, though. One goal in his last 25 games... playing 19+min in almost every single one. But he backchecks hard so it's alright. :facepalm:

It'd be really nice if Shero could get something for Kinkaid at the trade deadline... better than losing him for nothing.

Zajac has arguably been the best player on the team this year. Not sure why the need to act like he's Brian Boyle (who is a pretty good 4th liner) or something.

We could just re-sign Kinkaid and not lose him. Vegas should have better options, but maybe the Conte factor will cause them to pick him. I'm still skeptical. Backup goalies are rarely traded at the deadline, so not sure who would be interested.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is that why Bennett is 3rd on the team in shots for while on the ice? Zacha is 6th. So yeah, gonna have to call BS on that one.

First off how many guys on this team are actually good at 'shots for'? Being among the best of a bad lot isn't exactly proof they're good in general.

You're also seemingly confusing shot difference and actually just getting pucks to the net. I find it hard to believe Zacha with 42 shots on goal in 40 games - and playing on lower lines for at least a good chunk of the season - is 6th on the team in shots for (Bennett has 64 in 40 games which isn't that great either, albeit he gets less icetime than others), unless we're talking overall ratios or some other invisi-metric. There also has to be a distinction between shots that get to net and mere attempts, this is my point. I don't really care if guys miss the net or find defensemens' shinpads. Most of these stats including the chart that gets posted after every game are based off attempts on goal, not shots on goal.

Last edited:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
First off how many guys on this team are actually good at 'shots for'? Being among the best of a bad lot isn't exactly proof they're good in general.

Among forwards Bennett is 109th in the league. And again, since there's all sorts of team effects and linemate effects, this is not going to be a ranking of who is necessarily better than whom.

You're also seemingly confusing shot difference and actually just getting pucks to the net. I find it hard to believe Zacha with 42 shots on goal in 40 games - and playing on lower lines for at least a good chunk of the season - is 6th on the team in shots for (Bennett has 64 in 40 games which isn't that great either, albeit he gets less icetime than others), unless we're talking overall ratios or some other invisi-metric.

I said while on the ice. Bennett is 153rd among forwards in individual shots/60 at 5 on 5. This puts him in the upper half of the league in that metric. Zacha is in the bottom 10% of the league but I bet he's been going up since he was put with Josefson and Bennett.

There also has to be a distinction between shots that get to net and mere attempts, this is my point. I don't really care if guys miss the net or find defensemens' shinpads. Most of these stats including the chart that gets posted after every game are based off attempts on goal, not shots on goal.

I am using shots on goal here. If you want me to use attempts, I can do that too. I'm also not really concerned about the Flyers working the puck low to high and taking a bunch of low-percentage shots, many of which were blocked, when they're trailing. Still, some of those do go in.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Only the Flyers and a select few other teams could allow 5 attempted shot attempts to Kalinin and 4 to Gazdic haha.

Yikes at Cammalleri and Henrique. Would be interesting to see a break down of what from that was after we went up 4-1 and what was when the game was still tied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad