New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Was just going to post this. Brind'Amour is likely under contract until expiration on June 30, and will be an employee of the organization until then, whether relieved of coaching duties or not.

Obviously, there's not much to do - locker cleanout and media day. But nonetheless I do not think the Devils are allowed to reach out to him freely absent permission from his current employer until July 1.

Edit: I'd absolutely love Brind'Amour here. He's generally liked by his players, knows the game so well, instills a strong defensive scheme and consistent relentless system, gets a lot from lesser players - they beat us last year, they should have beaten the Rangers this year, and on paper they're a far worse team than either the 22-23 Devils or 23-24 Rangers. Aho is their only point-a-game star, they have crap goaltending. I feel like they've plateaued but more because they don't have the horses to ride and Dundon prefers not to spend lavishly where it's needed (DeAngelo/Burns instead of Hamilton, Kotkaniemi instead of Trocheck, etc.). I think with this group of players he'd finally have his hands on a team that he can win a cup with as a coach and knowing how competitive he is, I'm sure he wants that on his resume and legacy. If he wins a coach cup in addition to a player cup, you have to think he's one of the all time greats.

Seattle? They're not even close to competing.
After more research, it technically expires July 1. With the way Carolina operates, I can see them dragging it out until July 1st to limit his options and to drive down the asking price.

Jersey can’t wait that long

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You were the one that said it was “hard to find” when it’s literally something that takes five seconds of thought to think of. I am sure I could find other examples as well but I will leave it at that.

Edit: I have some time, lets play this game.

2009: Fleury wasn’t great, was below avg that postseason out of the playoffs goalies

2010: Niemi was below avg

I am sure I can find a few more in the last two decades. Yes, doesn’t happen often but it’s not hard to find. Teams can indeed win without good goaltending. Look at some of the goalies in the Cup Finals that almost won championships. Those Flyers goalies in 2010, Marty in 2012, etc etc.
i savely advice you to agree with the guy. outlier can be ignored. i do the same with his opinion for a long time.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The logic here has been wild.

“Hard to find” Cup winners without good goaltending

*Shows him 4 examples in the last 15 years*

He ignores the results.

Says Berube got a coach bump, but then won the Cup after said coach bump expired according to his arbitrarily written games played max for a coach bump which makes the cup win more important (lmao), while deeming other coach bumps meaningless.

*Attacks everyone for pointing out how illogical all of this is*

An absolute masterclass in the last few pages. Bravo, 10 out of 10 Danos.
shouldn't all po teams fire their coach right before the playoffs start?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
as nice as rod would be, we can't wait until his contract runs out to see if he MIGHT be interested. and there's no way the canes fire him.

throw a bag of money at keefe (so i can change my username to kiefer sutherland) and have woodcroft as backup. i really hope fitz doesn't f*** this up.

Reactions: palek1019

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
as nice as rod would be, we can't wait until his contract runs out to see if he MIGHT be interested. and there's no way the canes fire him.

throw a bag of money at keefe (so i can change my username to kiefer sutherland) and have woodcroft as backup. i really hope fitz doesn't f*** this up.
Keefer Southerland would be better :)

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Keefer of the Cup?
IMG_3112.jpeg

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Feels like they're deep in the Keefe waiting game. Woodcroft or Berube would have been locked up if they were the choice.

Just have to hope they don't get left holding the bag if Keefe drags things out and decides to take a different path.
The good news is that we're one of the consensus two best openings. The only new HCs to be hired this offseason both came from our staff which lends some credit to the idea that people are willing to wait on us. Even if one of Woodcroft or Berube gets hired by TO, the other is still available and likely willing to at least give us a chance to match if they got an offer somewhere else.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Brind’Amour’s contract up now or does it expire at the end of the league year like a standard player contract?
He’s not allowed to “test free agency” until July 1st. Just like the players.

However, the Canes have been known in the past to let players talk to teams before July 1st if they didn’t like their offers or didn’t wanna bring them back.

I’m not sure if they’d do that with him or not though.

Reactions: My3Sons

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
After more research, it technically expires July 1. With the way Carolina operates, I can see them dragging it out until July 1st to limit his options and to drive down the asking price.

Jersey can’t wait that long

June 30 is last day under contract so he's free July 1, but that's splitting hairs. It definitely runs until June 30 like player contracts. He cannot be contacted without permission before then.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Yeah, a coach isn’t getting hired anytime soon. That’s fine.
Fitz said before the draft, so it’s max a little bit over a month. I want news so I’m a little bummed, but hopefully it’s for the best. They’re most likely looking at someone big and weighing their options cause if not it probably would've been done by now.

Reactions: NjDevsRR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad