New Head Coach search

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I think it's time to get the discussion started on this, Fitz has had a horrible year, a lot of it on bad luck but he still has blame to share especially in not upgrading our goalies and in getting away from what worked last year, but I still have faith in him in knowing Green is not the answer for next year.

Basically we need a no-nonsense coach who can strike the fear of God into this team. The talent is mostly there, but something big is missing.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Evason? Woodcroft? A young up and comer? I have NO idea what'd be ideal for this group, but they need structure, cohesion and discipline in a bad way. It's time. As you said, the talent is there, but they need to play a smarter game.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
To me, Sullivan's system is perfect for this roster. Problem is, with the way the Pens are closing the season, I am not so sure that they fire him anymore.

I just don't want them to go TOO far the other way re: a disciplinarian. Like, hiring a guy like Berube I don't think is the answer.

Can't believe Pens fans had the balls to complain about him on the main board because of Alex f***ING Nylander doing well in Columbus as opposed to all the good he's done in Pittsburgh with dogshit lineups in years past.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Evason? Woodcroft? A young up and comer? I have NO idea what'd be ideal for this group, but they need structure, cohesion and discipline in a bad way. It's time. As you said, the talent is there, but they need to play a smarter game.
No interest in Berube or Evason.

Woodcroft is meh IMO,, not a huge fan either. I just dont know who would make sense

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
To me, Sullivan's system is perfect for this roster. Problem is, with the way the Pens are closing the season, I am not so sure that they fire him anymore.

I just don't want them to go TOO far the other way re: a disciplinarian. Like, hiring a guy like Berube I don't think is the answer.
I don't think he's leaving Pittsburgh either, and he would be perfect for us too.

But you're right, it can't be a coach who only knows hard discipline, but whoever we get has to at least bring that to the table.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Are we sure Green isn't the best guy available?

1712111377931.png

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I know this might be a strange comparison but he reminds me so much of John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens.

Different sports but they both bring out the best of whatever talent they have and both seem content to stay where they are.

Brind’Amour bitched about the salary of his current deal so he isn’t content with any old offer.

The Canes are playing with fire by leaving him a lame duck this long, but if they’re willing to pay him something closer to market value he’ll presumably stay.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Brind’Amour bitched about the salary of his current deal so he isn’t content with any old offer.

The Canes are playing with fire by leaving him a lame duck this long, but if they’re willing to pay him something closer to market value he’ll presumably stay.
When is his contract up? I would super overpay to have him as head coach. He's as legit as it gets.

Reactions: nugg

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
We need a tactics coach. Disciplinarian only works with guys who already know how to play NHL systems (vets). Ruff was a decent development coach but they're past that point now.

Reactions: My3Sons

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
How about Jay Pandolfo? Played for Lemaire and Robinson so there's that and is doing a banged up job at Boston University leading them to the final four.
Also played for the late great Pat Burns. He's certainly not a retread. Might be worth a look. No idea what sort of system he runs, though college is different.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I think the more veteran your team is, the less disciplinarian you need.

My idea of the pure disciplinarian is Gallant and Babcock. both those guys have no tolerance for giving young players minutes.
Of course you can have some overlap. Scotty Bowman was a disciplinarian but also was good at tactics. He also relied heavily on vets.

The advantage is they get players to push through the mid-season slog and keeps the players at the top of their game the whole way through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad