Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
The pretzel twisting is wild lmao

So idk now. Did Berube win a cup off the new coach bump and do bad afterwards, or not?

And is Berube the only coach worthy to have for a coach bump, since other coaches getting the new coach bump doesn’t matter?

IMG_6091.jpeg

Woof

Last edited:

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
So I guess that’s why Berube won a cup then
I believe our chances for success with the coach who won with the new club and was bad before and after that are higher than with coach who sctructured his team but was not successful in play-off because lack of good defensemen, good goalies and depth. It was only one coach in the last 50 years who won with two or more different teams, Berube should be the next one with us. I see it in the stars.

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I would suggest you reread those pages . Better yet just stick with your silly cartoons
I don't think I've every posted any silly cartoons on this site, but I re-read your comments and still get the impression that you're saying the guy that replaced Berube doesn't get credit for having significantly better results (nor does it reflect poorly on Berube) because of the mythical concept of the "new coach bump" while simultaneously stating Berube is the best option specifically for having one successful season where he was also a replacement coach. So Berube's success isn't tied to a new coach bump, but he also can't be blamed for his team improving after he was gone because of that same thing. This is by your logic.

BTW, here was their team save% pre and post Berube being named the interim coach in 2018-2019
Pre - .901 : Post - .911 : Playoffs - .913.

Specifically, Bennington didn't start playing regularly until January 7th. His save% that year was .927 compared to .905 for Jake Allen and .884 for Chad Johnson. Allen was 19-17-8 and Johnson was 2-6-0.
STL was 9-10-1 under Berube until Bennington took over as the regular 1A. Bennington's playoff save% was .914. Did Berube really turn them around, or Binnington playing insane? Did Berube carry them to the cup, or Binnington?

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't think I've every posted any silly cartoons on this site, but I re-read your comments and still get the impression that you're saying the guy that replaced Berube doesn't get credit for having significantly better results (nor does it reflect poorly on Berube) because of the mythical concept of the "new coach bump" while simultaneously stating Berube is the best option specifically for having one successful season where he was also a replacement coach. So Berube's success isn't tied to a new coach bump, but he also can't be blamed for his team improving after he was gone because of that same thing. This is by your logic.
I guess we both have to reread the last few pages ;)

Camille the Eel

I'm reminded of a favorite Lou quote: "when you have time, use it." He may have said a lot of other crazy shit, but he got that one right.

It would be good to have a coach in place by the Draft, but there is nothing big on the calendar before that. It's not like the new coach will be running practices in midsummer.

There is no reason to make a knee-jerk hire. This is an attractive job, and there are multiple good candidates. Fitz should take his time and evaluate the options carefully.
I also can’t see why the pool is limited to retreads who’ve been fired elsewhere. For public relations purposes, okay, and to mimic the Rangers with Laviolette?

I’ve said this before but it bears repeating. Look at the success Boston had when they promoted Cassidy. Look at how Knobloch has succeeded in Edmonton, when promoted from AHL Hartford. Is there really no one who’s good for our job but some league experience older critter? What was Cooper before Tampa hired him?

The game is changing and filled with younger players succeeding at a younger age. Systems are changing. Someone younger might be good for our job too. Here we are debating all these dinosaurs because they are known quantities, that’s all.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I also can’t see why the pool is limited to retreads who’ve been fired elsewhere. For public relations purposes, okay, and to mimic the Rangers with Laviolette?

I’ve said this before but it bears repeating. Look at the success Boston had when they promoted Cassidy. Look at how Knobloch has succeeded in Edmonton, when promoted from AHL Hartford. Is there really no one who’s good for our job but some league experience older critter? What was Cooper before Tampa hired him?

The game is changing and filled with younger players succeeding at a younger age. Systems are changing. Someone younger might be good for our job too.
Gronborg...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

The game is changing and filled with younger players succeeding at a younger age. Systems are changing. Someone younger might be good for our job too. Here we are debating all these dinosaurs because they are known quantities, that’s all.
I don't disagree with you, but we don't have anyone like that in our system. Just Kevin Dineen, who has brief NHL head coaching experience, which didn't go over so well. He also has NHL assistant coaching experience (I think the Hawks won their last cup with him as assistant?) and he also was the head coach for the Team Canada women's gold medal team in 2014. I think it's safe to say anyone could have coached that team to a gold medal.

I think Cooper was the head coach of the AHL Lightning before the NHL Lightning promoted him midseason after firing Guy Boucher.

Knoblauch could have been the NHL Rangers next head coach, but they rarely hire someone without experience, except for when they were rebuilding and let David Quinn have the job for a few years.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Gronborg...
I think the ship has almost definitely sailed on him.

At least for us it has. Maybe someone else brings him into the league at some point. I'm sure Fitz would have loved him to be the guy to develop the team back when he hired Ruff, but I think that's when he tried with Gronborg and they didn't allow him out of his contract over there.

Feels like they're now looking to go bigger or go home with the new hire.

Reactions: Guadana and Billdo

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Woodcroft and Keefe are dinosaurs? Woodcroft especially, but Keefe too, both have systems that are tailored to the current game and have demonstrated that they're effective in today's NHL. Keefe has the best winning percentage in Maple Leafs history.

Why would you pass that up for some unknown entity from another league who could just as likely be a complete disaster that flames out than a Jack Adams candidate? The bar is pretty low when your successful examples include Chris Knoblauch.

The odds are just as high that an unknown hire turns into a Brad Larsen, Travis Green (Vancouver days), John MacLean, etc. that completely tanks a season or two due to ineptitude.

Camille the Eel

Just hire the guy who you as GM think is the best person. But as a GM you should know the game at all levels and know the coaching talent in it at all levels too. The current assistants in other organizations who will be successful in the NHL. The AHL coaches who will one day be the next successful NHL heads.

It’s entirely possible that the best candidate will be from one of those backgrounds. It’s the GM’s job to spot talent there too.

I like Woodcroft and Keefe too. I used the word dinosaur to describe the zoology of the known quantity coaches. The game has a wider spectrum of coaching talent than that.

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada

BTW, here was their team save% pre and post Berube being named the interim coach in 2018-2019
Pre - .901 : Post - .911 : Playoffs - .913.

Specifically, Bennington didn't start playing regularly until January 7th. His save% that year was .927 compared to .905 for Jake Allen and .884 for Chad Johnson. Allen was 19-17-8 and Johnson was 2-6-0.
STL was 9-10-1 under Berube until Bennington took over as the regular 1A. Bennington's playoff save% was .914. Did Berube really turn them around, or Binnington playing insane? Did Berube carry them to the cup, or Binnington?
Wow I never realized that the concept of the ‘new coach bump’ was something that analytic types can’t wrap their heads around. You seem to lump this in with the concept of santa claus.
I consider a new coach bump to last maybe 30 or 40 games. When Berube got to the playoffs the honeymoon phase was over. Certain types around here seem to act like he didn’t deserve to win a cup because they can’t make sense of the numbers. To say he won because the goalie was good is disingenuous. Hard to find a cup winning team that didn’t have good goaltending.
Berube is a Stanley Cup champion and nobody can take that away.
When Berube left the team they again had a new coach bump. They were probably due for a change. Coaches have a shelf life. We will see how Mr Bannister does over the course of a full season

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Wow I never realized that the concept of the ‘new coach bump’ was something that analytic types can’t wrap their heads around. You seem to lump this in with the concept of santa claus.
I consider a new coach bump to last maybe 30 or 40 games. When Berube got to the playoffs the honeymoon phase was over.
Lol

Crazy how convenient that is

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Hard to find a cup winning team that didn’t have good goaltending.
Literally took ten seconds and literally happened two years ago.

22 Avs

Keumper had a .902 and Francouz .906 in playoffs which would be below average that regular season and placed them below avg in the playoffs. NHL Stats 2021-2022 - Goalie Stats

Next

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad