New Head Coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Why the Berube hate? Seems to be something we'd want but I don't know enough about him.

Mainly because some of those st louis teams allowed a lot of high quality chances in the slot and got bailed out by hot goaltending

Basically this and he legit got fired because he was actively trying to change how guys like Kyrou played, we need structure not someone random yelling at our guys not back checking when they don't do it.

Reactions: BostonDevil

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Basically this and he legit got fired because he was actively trying to change how guys like Kyrou played, we need structure not someone random yelling at our guys not back checking when they don't do it.
I care about this less than other might, I would want to know if he learned anything from it. I’m more concerned the about the system he employs.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I’ll take Berube. Let’s face it, Sullivan is a long shot and Rod is a crack pipe dream.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I’ll take Berube. Let’s face it, Sullivan is a long shot and Rod is a crack pipe dream.
Cooper would also be in that group for me but I don't see any of those three actually being available. Which leaves the likes of Berube, McLellan, Woodcroft, etc. And honestly, I don't think there's that much of a difference between most of those types. They all have their warts that people will bitch about eventually.

I think the most important thing is to find a coach that fits the personnel we have. This team isn't built to play conservatively, or to grind it out. Accountability is great, but trying to make the players something they're not by playing a way that doesn't fit their skillset probably won't end well either. I barely pay attention to the ins and outs of coaching around the league so I have no idea if Berube fits that or not. I'm just going by the fact that he's had some success, so he at least must not be a complete idiot.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Oh I agree, which is why I think they're zeroing in on Berube. I still like Woodcroft, the Oilers are virtually playing the same way they did under him but Skinner is making saves. He also never neutered their stars but kept them in check.

I care about this less than other might, I would want to know if he learned anything from it. I’m more concerned the about the system he employs.

I don't think the Devils are the team to figure that out personally but I understand the logic

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Cooper would also be in that group for me but I don't see any of those three actually being available. Which leaves the likes of Berube, McLellan, Woodcroft, etc. And honestly, I don't think there's that much of a difference between most of those types. They all have their warts that people will bitch about eventually.

I think the most important thing is to find a coach that fits the personnel we have. This team isn't built to play conservatively, or to grind it out. Accountability is great, but trying to make the players something they're not by playing a way that doesn't fit their skillset probably won't end well either. I barely pay attention to the ins and outs of coaching around the league so I have no idea if Berube fits that or not. I'm just going by the fact that he's had some success, so he at least must not be a complete idiot.
My issue with Berube is that he doesn't seem like a good communicator. He seems old school and proud to be that way.

That said, I think the Devils need to learn to grind it out. Listen to what Keefe said in his post series presser:

It is very evident that when teams play the Leafs, they set up the game for the Leafs to beat themselves.

That's 100% what teams are doing to the Devils. If Jack and co. can't learn to win 1-0 or 2-1 in OT, then this whole "compete for multiple cups" thing is baloney. Realistically, winning a single cup would be unlikely.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
why would he be something we'd want? Because he is kind of an asshole to his players?

his teams did not have good underlying numbers.
i see that a lot here, is there evidence that he was an asshole to his players? i see him as more of a no nonsense guy, which i'm 100% ok with. the coddling type has gotten us nowhere.

Reactions: HersheyBob27

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is it true that Berube’s teams had bad underlying #’s? They were one of the best teams by xGF% in 18-19, and that’s including the start of the season under Yeo where they looked like one of the worst teams in the league.

Yeah I get doubly suspicious when people say the coach's underlying numbers suck from the outside, as if his teams were really any good the last couple years.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
IMG_2145.png

This sounds like almost Every devils team under ruff

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Berube took over 18-19

Xgf at 5 on 5

18/19=5th
19/20=15th
20/21=27th
21/22=21st
22/23=28th

So yes his underlying numbers were dookie outside of one hot year
Did they improve much after he got fired, or did they just win more?

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Did they improve much after he got fired?
What do you mean ? They progressively got worse at 5 on 5 every year since that miracle run during his intern year.

Despite those average to below average 5 on 5 numbers they made the playoffs 4 out of the 6 years.

That’s a pretty big red flag don’t you think ?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What do you mean ? They progressively got worse at 5 on 5 every year since that miracle run during his intern year.

Despite those average to below average 5 on 5 numbers they made the playoffs 4 out of the 6 years.

That’s a pretty big red flag don’t you think ?
The talent kind of got worse, no?

Funny how people think talent is a big deal when it comes to draft picks but then ignore it when it comes to assessing outside coaches. They’re a meh team in a brutal division. Now if the numbers went up noticeably this year after he left that would support your case, hence my asking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Berube tell him to say this?

Would be far from the most surprising thing if Berube is holding the devils off to see what happens in Toronto
Unless his eyes are getting big over all the media attention there, what’s the draw of Toronto over us? Our core is younger, our media isn’t carnivorous and our tabloids aren’t a patch on Toronto’s fanny. Plus Toronto is in a bit tougher division on top of it.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
The talent kind of got worse, no?

Funny how people think talent is a big deal when it comes to draft picks but then ignore it when it comes to assessing outside coaches. They’re a meh team in a brutal division. Now if the numbers went up noticeably this year after he left that would support your case, hence my asking.
18/19 106 point pace, 5th in xgf
Here’s where it gets skeptical at least to me

19/20 108 point pace but 15th at 5 on 5

20/21 92 point pace,27th at 5 on 5

21/22 109 point pace but 21st at 5 on 5

For reference, his replacement went 30-19-4 . I would have to pull those underlying numbers but having difficulty finding a website to date it. That’s good for a 98 point pace with the same group

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Unless his eyes are getting big over all the media attention there, what’s the draw of Toronto over us? Our core is younger, our media isn’t carnivorous and our tabloids aren’t a patch on Toronto’s fanny. Plus Toronto is in a bit tougher division on top of it.
I think the bigger market and challenge is a draw. I think you’d be crazy to think a lot of coaches wouldn’t be drawn to all that attention. And they have some really high-end talent. Imagine if he could be the coach to finally win for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad