New Head Coach search

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It does have to be enticing to see that NJ job opening with Hughes, Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Meier, Nemec on the roster

That coaching opportunity doesn’t come around often
You do have to wonder if some of these higher end coaches have thought to themselves when competing against us, "I know what this team needs to be better, and I'd be able to deliver it".

Hopefully the speculation about the Devils hockey operations being a "manage by committee" setup is not true, because I think that would turn off the best candidates.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
You do have to wonder if some of these higher end coaches have thought to themselves when competing against us, "I know what this team needs to be better, and I'd be able to deliver it".

Hopefully the speculation about the Devils hockey operations being a "manage by committee" setup is not true, because I think that would turn off the best candidates.
It's not speculation, it's a fact. Fitz openly says it. Listen to his end of season press conference when he talks about what he's looking for in a coaching candidate.

They run the organization like a modern business, especially with the PE owners. They're doing the same with their other teams. It's analytics heavy and decisions by committee and collaboration.

That's part of the reason why Shero was let go. He wanted to run the show without consulting a wider group.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
It's not speculation, it's a fact. Fitz openly says it. Listen to his end of season press conference when he talks about what he's looking for in a coaching candidate.

They run the organization like a modern business, especially with the PE owners. They're doing the same with their other teams. It's analytics heavy and decisions by committee and collaboration.

That's part of the reason why Shero was let go. He wanted to run the show without consulting a wider group.
If that's the case, I don't think it's going to attract the best coach candidates.

And color me skeptical that this approach can work. I've been vocal about many red flags with this organization's leadership for a long time now...we have one year of real success so far...

Reactions: glenwo2

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Their first draft selection this year's draft is in the 5th round, and they don't have their 1st pick next year either.
Watching the end of that game, it seriously looked like the entire team was playing in slow motion and only sped up when it was time to finally leave. Conspiracy theory warning. The entire organization wanted the summer to start as quick as possible. No playoffs, no picks, no work. They still have time to trade the last couple picks away or send an intern to the draft to pick names out of hat.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
If there wasn’t any validity behind the rumor, I doubt Dubas makes a statement. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Semantics are really important. “No requests have been made. No permissions have been granted.” Of course no permissions have been granted if there hasn’t been a formal ask yet by the Devils. If the Devils ask, maybe permissions are granted. I could be way off base but that’s how I interpret things.

• Love
Reactions: glenwo2

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's been a terrible bench manager for the majority of his career with Pittsburgh.

He was a terrible bench manager with Boston prior to Pitt. He's stubborn, he has little time for offensive oriented forwards who lack defensive game, he consistently approaches the league with an archiac mind set of what worked in 15-16. He's been running an umbrella powerplay for literally 10 years despite it not working for 3 or 4. He's been running his "controlled chaos" philosphy in a league that is about quick puck possesion. Etc.

The front office and coaching staff in Pittsburgh found a ton of success due to a multitude of voices in 15-16 and 16-17. Sullivan immediately burned the relationship with Phil Kessel following those cup winners once Tocchet left. He did a terrible job at managing young players which led to Daniel Sprong basically being utilized as a 4th line grinder his entirety as a Penguin.

He continously has used an approach for his bottom six that is better suited for 2009 over 2024.

Just don't see how he would be a good improvement over the issues of Ruff for the Devils. If anything, I'd argue he would be worse, plus it has been noted by "PIT INSIDERS" that one of the reasons John Marino was moved was because the staff felt he was uncoachable.

Sprong stayed a bottom six forward who typically played (and still plays) on the 4th line.

You’re upset about those 16 games in 2018-19?
IMG_6511.jpeg
He played 44 AHL games in 2019-20 before he was traded to the Caps, he didn’t exactly wow them in Anaheim either after the trade.

Wasn’t he playing below Kessel, Rust and Hornqvist in 2018-19 before the trade?

Wasn’t he traded for a much more valuable player, Marcus Pettersson? Would you prefer to have Sprong instead of Petterson?

Sprong is such a weird thing to hung up on.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sprong stayed a bottom six forward who typically played (and still plays) on the 4th line.

You’re upset about those 16 games in 2018-19?
View attachment 862454
He played 44 AHL games in 2019-20 before he was traded to the Caps, he didn’t exactly wow them in Anaheim either after the trade.

Wasn’t he playing below Kessel, Rust and Hornqvist in 2018-19 before the trade?

Wasn’t he traded for a much more valuable player, Marcus Pettersson? Would you prefer to have Sprong instead of Petterson?

Sprong is such a weird thing to hung up on.

Sprong isolated wouldn't be an issue.

It is a consistent problem throughout his tenure.

Jared McCann suffered usage issues consistently here outside of injuries.

We saw it with Valterri Puustinen this year.

There are endless examples.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Sprong isolated wouldn't be an issue.

It is a consistent problem throughout his tenure.

Jared McCann suffered usage issues consistently here outside of injuries.

We saw it with Valterri Puustinen this year.

There are endless examples.

Pens: I like McCann but love Crosby.

Kraken: but I love McCann

Pens: Because you don’t have Crosby.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah it’s a terrifying thought. I stick to what I have said, if they make green the permanent head coach, I’m done taking any of this seriously.
That will be an immediate heel turn worthy of screaming ''YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK!'' or ''YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE!'' from fans on opening night.

But I'm highly skeptical right now that Green returns as head coach. A little less skeptical that he'll return as an assistant/associate again. We heard Nas was a strong candidate all summer of 2020 until Ruff was hired and Nas was not made head coach. Nas did stay on, just not as head coach.

Anyway, DEW IT OTTAWA! Get him the f*** outta here.

Hey, Seattle liked him a lot and wanted to hire him back in 2021 before the Canucks re-upped him. Have at it an interview with him Ron!

Reactions: glenwo2 and My3Sons

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
That will be an immediate heel turn worthy of screaming ''YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK!'' or ''YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE!'' from fans on opening night.

But I'm highly skeptical right now that Green returns as head coach. A little less skeptical that he'll return as an assistant/associate again. We heard Nas was a strong candidate all summer of 2020 until Ruff was hired and Nas was not made head coach. Nas did stay on, just not as head coach.

Hey, Seattle liked him a lot and wanted to hire him back in 2021 before the Canucks re-upped him. Have at it an interview with him Ron!

There have been heels I liked. JBL's 2004 championship run, Ted DiBiase, the entire NWO before late 1998-early 1999, Hollywood Rock.

Travis Green would just be a soul sucking hire that takes away any enthusiasm. Like seeing Triple H win for the millionth time in the 00s

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There have been heels I liked. JBL's 2004 championship run, Ted DiBiase, the entire NWO before late 1998-early 1999, Hollywood Rock.

Travis Green would just be a soul sucking hire that takes away any enthusiasm. Like seeing Triple H win for the millionth time in the 00s
It would be like the time Randy Orton won the world heavyweight championship and Triple H immediately took it off of him a month later.

Reactions: Lindys Lazy Eye

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

So you’ve clearly yelled that before. Was it cathartic .

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
If that's the case, I don't think it's going to attract the best coach candidates.

And color me skeptical that this approach can work. I've been vocal about many red flags with this organization's leadership for a long time now...we have one year of real success so far...
Every organization in the league has a collaborative approach between the coaching staff and front office.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
95% sure Green won’t be our head coach.
99.9%

I save this 0.1% for situation where Fitz, Dubas and Sullivan have shake agreement that Sullivan ends his duties with pens and sign with Devils right after that. And even with this situation Fitz should hire some other coach for one season duties like Lou did with Lemeir before hiring Deboer.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I think I'm good with Keefe candidate. Toronto is playing pretty good two way hockey with good defensive game with weak goaltending and some very bad defensemen. More often with bad bottom six. Good players are good under him. I think with better depth and much better defense he will be better. I don't think he is my first candidate but im not be against him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad