New GM Trades and Signings Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Maybe a 3-way deal is in the workings here and why both Leafs and Carolina are tied to Karlsson in trade talks. :wg:

To Toronto: Brett Pesce ($ $4,025,000 X 1 year & UFA) and Martin Necas ($ $3,000,000 X 1 year & RFA)
To San Jose: William Nylander (potential sign and trade)
To Carolina: Erik Karlsson (retention amount TBD)

Those being the principles being moved with potentially picks/prospects rounding out the final trade.
Unless the sticking point in a deal with SJ was the retention, I doubt that Nylander alone would be enough, or if the rumors about Tre trying to get Karlsson were true, it would have been done already,
I also think Pesce & Necas would be a slight overpayment for Nylander who Carolina could also use or be interested in ...though the only other reasonable player would be Jarvis, and then the question is would Carolina be more willing to move Necas (who is producing well) or Jarvis (looks good but lesser production to date)

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
NEWS: Scottsdale Police Department has confirmed to The Athletic that Alex Galchenyuk was arrested on July 9 on a number of charges including private property hit and run, disorderly conduct, failure to obey, resisting arrest, Threatening or Intimidating

On the hit and run incident: police said that “it was only property damage and no injuries.”

Jail official said he was booked into city jail on Sunday evening and released the following day on his own recognizance. According to court records, Galchenyuk was arraigned on Monday

Pre-trial conference has been set for August 11

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Yes but the point is that Lindholm doesn't want to be there. If the Flames give Willy the 10M that he wants, he would likely sign it. Getting Nylander for a player that doesn't want to be there is about as good of a get as you will find. Same with the Tkachuk trade last year.

Not so sure. He'll probably have a couple interested teams next summer. And the Flames don't seem to be a desirable location at the moment.

Imo there's close to zero chance Nylander opts for a sign and trade. Historically they're very rare

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
NEWS: Scottsdale Police Department has confirmed to The Athletic that Alex Galchenyuk was arrested on July 9 on a number of charges including private property hit and run, disorderly conduct, failure to obey, resisting arrest, Threatening or Intimidating

On the hit and run incident: police said that “it was only property damage and no injuries.”

Jail official on Sunday evening and released the following day on his own recognizance. According to court records, Galchenyuk was arraigned on Monday

Pre-trial conference has been set for August 11
Still better than Yakupov

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Not so sure. He'll probably have a couple interested teams next summer. And the Flames don't seem to be a desirable location at the moment.

Imo there's close to zero chance Nylander opts for a sign and trade. Historically they're very rare
Is 10mil really what Willie is asking though?
I don't think a lot of teams can afford Willie at 10mil without trading away a big piece of their team.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014

You may be right. Huberdeau did it last year though. If 10M is really what he wants and Calgary gives it to him, he could opt to be traded later on if he doesn't want to be there

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

You need to find out the priority for him, is it cash, is the place that does 10-10.5M for him fine as long as they pay?

Does he want a specific team + the money? Harder to swing.

I've done a few exercises on capfriendly now and the sooner we can divest ourselves from JT and Nylander on the 2nd line, not because they're bad but because you can't have 4 guys eating up this many resources (dollars).

We need to be able to flesh out a proper roster and ideally start getting some graduates too.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I still think Nashville is the best trading partner for Nylander. Wouldn’t even be surprised if they wanted to try Nylander down the middle with Forsberg on his wing.

To Toronto: Cody Glass + Jeremy Lauzon + NSH 1st Round Draft Pick
To Nashville: William Nylander

To Toronto: Joseph Veleno + STL 2nd Round Draft Pick
To Detroit: TJ Brodie

To Toronto: Connor Murphy
To Chicago: Pontus Holmberg + STL 2nd Round Draft Pick

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi
Domi - Tavares - Marner
Lafferty - Glass - Jarnkrok
Veleno - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Murphy
McCabe - Liljegren
Lauzon - Klingberg

Samsonov - Woll

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Trying to guess the 5...

Formenton
Comtois
Point
Batherson
Foote

Guys that either fell off hard/struggled in the last year....a lot on their mind perhaps? OR haven't gotten a new contract.

I expect that Cale Makar will be one of the 5

Reactions: horner

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
I still think Nashville is the best trading partner for Nylander. Wouldn’t even be surprised if they wanted to try Nylander down the middle with Forsberg on his wing.

Domi - Tavares - Marner
Veleno - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Murphy
McCabe - Liljegren
Lauzon - Klingberg

Samsonov - Woll
I would rather trade with Colorado for Byram myself

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Domi - Tavares - Marner
Veleno - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - Murphy
McCabe - Liljegren
Lauzon - Klingberg

Samsonov - Woll

If that's the best you can get for Nylander you keep Nylander, this isn't a rebuild you don't trade him for magic beans and spare parts.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf and kb

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If that's the best you can get for Nylander you keep Nylander, this isn't a rebuild you don't trade him for magic beans and spare parts.
It might be on the lower end but I wouldn’t call Glass or that 1st round draft pick spare parts. Glass took major steps last season in cementing himself easily as a third line center. A third line of Lafferty, Glass and Jarnkrok could be a great two-way line. Glass also has the potential to eventually become our second line center.

Like I mentioned, it might be on the lower end for sure but Nashville does have other interesting pieces like Tomasino, Fabbro, Schaefer, Askarov, etc.

Maybe something like Glass, Askarov, TBL & WPJ 2nd round draft picks would work.

Last edited:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
What I would love to see is both Matthews (13mil x 5yrs) and Nylander (8.8mil x 8yrs) both signed and have the press conference together and have both players state they've taken less to keep the team competitive and to continue building a strong team. Not only does it help now, but you better believe other players on the team and around the league would then realize that Toronto isn't going to be a team just throwing money around anymore.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
What I would love to see is both Matthews (13mil x 5yrs) and Nylander (8.8mil x 8yrs) both signed and have the press conference together and have both players state they've taken less to keep the team competitive and to continue building a strong team. Not only does it help now, but you better believe other players on the team and around the league would then realize that Toronto isn't going to be a team just throwing money around anymore.
Matthews taking 13 million a year and going to the public saying he took less to keep the team together would be a joke. He’d be the highest player in the NHL.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Nylander's camp knows this could be his big home run. He's already 27. He's not going to budge
He's going to want 9.5

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

You mean Nylander took less lol.

If Matthews does 13x8, then he can tout he took less.

Does anyone know if Bertuzzi ever played on the right side?

Sounds f***ing fantastic. Just don’t know if Bertuzzi has/is able to play on the right side?!

What is your second line? Domi-Tavares-Marner?

Assuming Nylander gets dealt?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It might be on the lower end but I wouldn’t call Glass or that 1st round draft pick spare parts. Glass took major steps last season in cementing himself easily as a third line center. A third line of Lafferty, Glass and Jarnkrok could be a great two-way line. Glass also has the potential to eventually become our second line center.

Like I mentioned, it might be on the lower end for sure but Nashville does have other interesting pieces like Tomasino, Fabbro, Schaefer, Askarov, etc.

Maybe something like Glass, Askarov, TBL & WPJ 2nd round draft picks would work.

That 1st round is the "magic beans" portion of that offer.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

you dont trade a top line RWer just entering his prime who gets better every year for a cemented 3C
I wouldnt mind getting Askarov, as I'm not sold on Woll, but, we would need an NHL ready player coming back with top line or top pairing potential

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've thought about a couple different options;

A) Goodrow, 2nd (those 2 pieces are married to each other as the price to take the Goodrow deal is apparently a 2nd), Schneider and Kakko for Nylander and McMann

B) Chytill++ for Nylander deal but it's tough to make that cap work.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I've thought about a couple different options;

A) Goodrow, 2nd (those 2 pieces are married to each other as the price to take the Goodrow deal is apparently a 2nd), Schneider and Kakko for Nylander and McMann

B) Chytill++ for Nylander deal but it's tough to make that cap work.
Zero interest in Goodrow
I like Chytill, but, if dealing Nylander to the NYR I demand Miller in the deal to even listen to anything further.
If Miller is in the deal, I dont think we get a piece as good as Chytill in addition, but, I'd also be offering them Brodie to replace Miller
and the Rangers could slot him next to Fox or Trouba easily.

Nylander + Brodie would be what I'd want to move

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Zero interest in Goodrow
I like Chytill, but, if dealing Nylander to the NYR I demand Miller in the deal to even listen to anything further.
If Miller is in the deal, I dont think we get a piece as good as Chytill in addition, but, I'd also be offering them Brodie to replace Miller
and the Rangers could slot him next to Fox or Trouba easily.

Nylander + Brodie would be what I'd want to move

Their cap situation is incredibly tight, I have tried to do some of the deals from their perspective and it's not easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad