New FPHL team announcement

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
This is all so funny. The fphl was actually looking into adding this team mid season last year. Teams started recruiting more players to their rosters because teams weren't sure if the loaned players from the enforcers were going to be recalled to elmira or if the league itself would need more players to fill that team mid year.

It will be funny to see how this plays out of the next few years.

The team has been sold to a new local ownership group.
Correct, Johansson made some much money this year in Binghamton it proved a wise time to sell the Wolves while they were coming off a championship.

Reactions: Atlantian

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
"We don't have enough terrible ideas in our history. What can we do to just top everything?"

"LET'S ADD A TEAM MIDSEASON!"

You say "loaned" as if there was an entity to actually loan out the players. The Enforcers were done when Nichols lost control of the arena. Can't loan out players who aren't under contract.

Reactions: Rigafan

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
"We don't have enough terrible ideas in our history. What can we do to just top everything?"

"LET'S ADD A TEAM MIDSEASON!"

You say "loaned" as if there was an entity to actually loan out the players. The Enforcers were done when Nichols lost control of the arena. Can't loan out players who aren't under contract.
Welcome to the Fed

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It is amazing that the Fed has survived so long for a league I thought would last only a season or two.
You and a lot of other hockey fans (including me). Longevity counts for something, but it's hard to outweigh the shitshow that league brings to ice rinks every year.

Reactions: Roadhog

Checkers Hockey

Veni, vidi, vici
Longevity counts for something, but it's hard to outweigh the shitshow that league brings to ice rinks every year.
Even though I haven't followed the Fed since the Danbury Whalers folded, I'm not surprised to hear things haven't changed.
You'd be amazed at what some tricksters can do with a couple of 1,000 seat arenas and 500k budgets.
Is Soskin still involved with the league?

Reactions: sabremike

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
You and a lot of other hockey fans (including me). Longevity counts for something, but it's hard to outweigh the shitshow that league brings to ice rinks every year.

The Thunderbirds are a blast and so are games in the other barns I've visited. It's easy to take lots of cheap shots but there are plenty of fans who still enjoy it. It's not taking money out of your pocket so what do you care?

Reactions: sabremike

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The Thunderbirds are a blast and so are games in the other barns I've visited. It's easy to take lots of cheap shots but there are plenty of fans who still enjoy it. It's not taking money out of your pocket so what do you care?
I care when fellow hockey fans are sold a bill of goods year after year by team & League owners whose sole purpose is to establish enough teams to sustain play for the next season. While the Thunderbirds are a good example of how an organization should be operated with fan support being valued, the list of FHL/FPHL teams whose HockeyDB franchise entries don't end in '2022' is very long & represents a lot of broken promises to hockey fans as well as to their communities. If you have no empathy for those former stakeholders, then I have no further explanation to offer.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I care when fellow hockey fans are sold a bill of goods year after year by team & League owners whose sole purpose is to establish enough teams to sustain play for the next season. While the Thunderbirds are a good example of how an organization should be operated with fan support being valued, the list of FHL/FPHL teams whose HockeyDB franchise entries don't end in '2022' is very long & represents a lot of broken promises to hockey fans as well as to their communities. If you have no empathy for those former stakeholders, then I have no further explanation to offer.

It's AAAA hockey. It's cheap and the beer is cheap and it's fun. It works better in some places better than others. I'm probably one of the few who has been to both a St. Clair Shores Saints game and a Rumble Bees game. Neither rink was really ideal for pro hockey and the Bees started behind the 8 ball but it was still a blast. Looking forward to checking out the Rockers next season.
I've been to NHL games in 12 NHL cities including Vegas and minor league and college games in many more and both my fiancée and I still look forward to FPHL games. Of course, I still like Appalachian League College wood bat baseball almost more than the Major Leagues so maybe I'm in the minority. But there is something to be said for cheap pro hockey with guys who are really doing it for the love of the game.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
It's AAAA hockey. It's cheap and the beer is cheap and it's fun. It works better in some places better than others. I'm probably one of the few who has been to both a St. Clair Shores Saints game and a Rumble Bees game. Neither rink was really ideal for pro hockey and the Bees started behind the 8 ball but it was still a blast. Looking forward to checking out the Rockers next season.
I've been to NHL games in 12 NHL cities including Vegas and minor league and college games in many more and both my fiancée and I still look forward to FPHL games. Of course, I still like Appalachian League College wood bat baseball almost more than the Major Leagues so maybe I'm in the minority. But there is something to be said for cheap pro hockey with guys who are really doing it for the love of the game.
I am in your camp brother, I agree.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I am in your camp brother, I agree.
If you think about it the FPHL is like the lower leagues of soccer in lots of countries where it's essentially semi professional with guys having other jobs to make ends meet. For example there are several clubs at the bottom of the Scottish league pyramid like that, there was a book written awhile back by a player from one of those clubs I read called "Don't Quit Your Day Job" that's worth checking out if you can find it.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I've been to NHL games in 12 NHL cities including Vegas and minor league and college games in many more and both my fiancée and I still look forward to FPHL games. Of course, I still like Appalachian League College wood bat baseball almost more than the Major Leagues so maybe I'm in the minority. But there is something to be said for cheap pro hockey with guys who are really doing it for the love of the game.
I agree with that sentiment, as long as those "guys who are really doing it for the love of the game" aren't made to drive to & from games in unsafe vehicles (a team bus or their own transportation) and missing monthly paychecks.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I agree with that sentiment, as long as those "guys who are really doing it for the love of the game" aren't made to drive to & from games in unsafe vehicles (a team bus or their own transportation) and missing monthly paychecks.

Like they'd be doing in beer leagues. Like I do when I go play a tournament.

I don't think anyone goes into the FPHL thinking it's the NHL.

You should adopt an FPHL player if you're that worried about them.

I just want to add I've spoken with a few players and even played hockey with one and they know what it is. Missing paychecks sucks but the Coyotes have done the same thing. It's not exclusive to the Fed.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car

Hey, quit stealing my material!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad