New divisions for 2017-18 season

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
http://theahl.com/2017-18-ahl-alignment-announced

alignment170511-1038x576-1494521464.jpg

So Charlotte Checkers are now in the Atlantic division.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
And everything else stays the same. Albany, St. John's and Binghamton (Senators) were all in the North Division, and they all stay there in their new cities.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey

Looks like they're returning to a 80 game regular season too. Hopefully they make the Pacific Division play those games too.

Nvm, the team pointed out it was a mistake

Last edited:

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Griffins get to play Tucson for the very first time (2 x 2), plus they get to play Hershey (2005-06) & WBS Penguins (2008-09) for the first time since the date next to them. No more Charlotte. Get to play San Jose & Stockton again. Texas takes over Charlotte for our schedule as they get to play the Stars 6 times and 4 times with San Antonio.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Holy crap. Teams from the East are actually coming to play teams from the West?

Admirals play WBS, Hershey, San Diego, Stockton and Ontario. Still not a very diverse schedule but much improved from previous years.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Admirals play WBS, Hershey, San Diego, Stockton and Ontario. Still not a very diverse schedule but much improved from previous years.

before it's been Hartford, Bridgeport, and Providence, and it seems like Hershey/WBS AND ROTATING THROUGH THE MIDWEST division, as Rockford has confirmed those two PA Markets are going there.

it's an improvement, but now the push should be iss to get all franchises to play each other in a home and home every year....

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
before it's been Hartford, Bridgeport, and Providence, and it seems like Hershey/WBS AND ROTATING THROUGH THE MIDWEST division, as Rockford has confirmed those two PA Markets are going there.

it's an improvement, but now the push should be iss to get all franchises to play each other in a home and home every year....

I wouldn't even mind every other year on a rotating basis. For example, the North would play the Central and the Atlantic would play the Pacific and the next year the North would play the Pacific and the Central would play the Atlantic.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

I doubt they will play chicago.....

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

This would follow what the NHL does.

Use up 30 games a year .... cut yout conference games down to 46?

Seriously, lets play your key rivals 4 times a year or less so one can see the Iowa Wild or the Stockton heat come to town? No thank you.

This will NEVER happen.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio

Seriously, lets play your key rivals 4 times a year or less so one can see the Iowa Wild or the Stockton heat come to town? No thank you.

This will NEVER happen.

As opposed to playing your key rivals 14 times? 14?!?!

Surely, there's middle ground to be had here.

But like you said, it'll never happen. Not enough teams are willing to spend the money it would take.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

This will NEVER happen.

AND YOU'D RATHER WATCH THE Pacific Division becomes its own league, and lose those NHL OWNED CLUB AFFILIATES, 6768?

IT'S an improvement, but not perfect, but a rotation system is better than not seeing all the teams, or the same teams every year, and how do those fanbases relate to those teams they never see and lose to them when you never seen them before in a playoff series, at least the AHL is listening to its fanbases and the teams, whoever suggested this should be commended, and the AHL should be for allowing that to occur, I'm just saying that's what the current fanbases should be telling their teams, if that's not already occurring.... Wouldn't you like to have some knowledge of a franchise you never see play your team, whether it be regular season or go cold turkey in a playoff series, because that's what was drawn.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
AND YOU'D RATHER WATCH THE Pacific Division becomes its own league, and lose those NHL OWNED CLUB AFFILIATES, 6768?

IT'S an improvement, but not perfect, but a rotation system is better than not seeing all the teams, or the same teams every year, and how do those fanbases relate to those teams they never see and lose to them when you never seen them before in a playoff series, at least the AHL is listening to its fanbases and the teams, whoever suggested this should be commended, and the AHL should be for allowing that to occur, I'm just saying that's what the current fanbases should be telling their teams, if that's not already occurring.... Wouldn't you like to have some knowledge of a franchise you never see play your team, whether it be regular season or go cold turkey in a playoff series, because that's what was drawn.

Why GEE HUTCH....THANK YOU...it's nice to know that you value my contributions on here!!!! Not bad for some loser know nothing from Chicago huh!? I have only been in Dave Andrews and others ears about how crappy the schedule is for about 10 years now. It's nice to see you acknowledge that Thank-You. BTW ask around as Tommy and others have been there to witness these conversations.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Why GEE HUTCH....THANK YOU...it's nice to know that you value my contributions on here!!!! Not bad for some loser know nothing from Chicago huh!? I have only been in Dave Andrews and others ears about how crappy the schedule is for about 10 years now. It's nice to see you acknowledge that Thank-You. BTW ask around as Tommy and others have been there to witness these conversations.

You and me both.... I voted with money though and cancelled season tickets, as did others.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
As opposed to playing your key rivals 14 times? 14?!?!

Surely, there's middle ground to be had here.

But like you said, it'll never happen. Not enough teams are willing to spend the money it would take.

I agree with middle ground...perhaps rotating...etc....but I come from the old ACHL and NEHL / EH@L2

Comets / Stars played Erie 22 times one year...Carolina and Virginia about 16 or 17.

But I get your point...and Axes and Tommy's as well. But to play every single team every year home and away is silly, especially the other conference. And, I'm guessing that what you 3 aforementioned posters mean. I know Chicago plays GR and Milwaukee about a dozen times and that does get old. We play Syracuse 12 times and to me that NEVER gets old...I think 8 is probably a good number for close rivals...6 vs rest in division and 2 or 4 in other division in conference.

I would like to see the Central teams once or twice but not at the expense of playing our geographic rivals 4-5 times a year. just because the NHL does it doesn't make it better....likely the opposite.

As far as western teams splitting off...they would have gone already. The independent owners in the East will never travel, it's foolish. Same for the Western teams coming east....I know all the western teams are NHL owned and have bottomless bank Accounts (really, Tucson?) but makes no sense to come east for 2 weeks.

ASs far as meeting in the playoffs, the Calder Cup Finals...play all other 15 other conference teams so you have a look at them? Seriously?

I agree, there is middle ground to be had...but the Fans aren't making the decisions, the owners do.

Like Tommy said, he voted with his season ticket package. we all can do that.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014

yes

HEAD SPINNING :shakehead AT THE EXPENSE OF WATCHING OUR NATURAL RIVAL 4-5 TIMES A YEAR SO WE CAN HAVE THE STOCKTON HEAT OR BAKERSFIELD CONDORS COME TO TOWN? NO

Last edited by a moderator:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
HEAD SPINNING :shakehead AT THE EXPENSE OF WATCHING OUR NATURAL RIVAL 4-5 TIMES A YEAR SO WE CAN HAVE THE STOCKTON HEAT OR BAKERSFIELD CONDORS COME TO TOWN? NO

uh, wait until your franchise is one of those that won't travel, 6768.... a rotation system is better than what it is now, and that is what you have to fight for....

just as we did in trying to get this league better, it's one of the rare times I agree with the midwest posters, and disagree with you based on past experience.... you missed why, if this league doesn't adapt it dies, and not just the Pacific Division, the entire league.....

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I don't have a problem with the rotating travel to the mid west. Would be nice to see some different teams every couple of years... Wouldn't be that bad to fly out to Chicago (or wherever) from there it's just a bus trip to 3 city's or so. Wend, Fri SAT then back home... What's the big deal. Comets will probably fly to Charlotte, can't imagine that would be much different than the mid west trip....

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
uh, wait until your franchise is one of those that won't travel, 6768.... a rotation system is better than what it is now, and that is what you have to fight for....

just as we did in trying to get this league better, it's one of the rare times I agree with the midwest posters, and disagree with you based on past experience.... you missed why, if this league doesn't adapt it dies, and not just the Pacific Division, the entire league.....

I don't own the team, I don't make those decisions. There is no need to play every team every year. Read my other posts. Rotation....sure....but it makes no sense for small market non NHL owned eastern teams to travel cross country. The league, as we all know it, died when NHL teams started owning franchises. If that is adapting, so be it.

The IHL died because it became a plane league.

I'm not even sure if Utica won't travel, they are owned by the Canucks but who knows. I d0 know the first 2 years the Comets were in the west and made 3 cross country trips to Abbottsford...2 trips to Texas...the Midwest trip for the Wolves, Ads, Monsters....Iowa. Oddly, never trekked to Charlotte. Is Hershey going west next year...or did they the 1st 2 of the west coast movement? Did Portland go 2 years ago?

There is a middle ground, I guess some owners don't want to go along with it. I just believe with 15 teams in each conference there are plenty of teams...even with playing rotating other conference games.

Springfield to Stockton, though? No need for it.

The NHL's grip on the league will kill it long before Binghamton doesn't travel to San Jose, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
I don't have a problem with the rotating travel to the mid west. Would be nice to see some different teams every couple of years... Wouldn't be that bad to fly out to Chicago (or wherever) from there it's just a bus trip to 3 city's or so. Wend, Fri SAT then back home... What's the big deal. Comets will probably fly to Charlotte, can't imagine that would be much different than the mid west trip....

Flying to Chicago or Charlotte isn't the same as flying to LA, though. You're right, rotation every couple years...middle ground.....if they do that the league won't fold...anymore than it will if we don't.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I'm with clintoncomets on this one. I could really care less about playing teams in the western conference at the expense of playing more games against teams within a 3 hour drive of Utica. Rivalry games mean visiting fans at the Aud and opportunities for Comets fans, who travel well, to attend more away games. Multiple games against rivals in our division results in more familiarity with opposing players and adds to the rivalry that a home and home series against a team half way across the country can not match.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Just do it like some teams in the ECHL do it. Colorado flies out East one or 2 times every year to play some random Eastern Conference team(s).. In return, the teams we visit come out here the same year or the next year. Idaho and Utah do the same. There are certain Eastern Conference teams that are willing to do that. The others that don't want or can't afford to, fine. Colorado still plays their rivals plenty of times, and also gets to see a few new teams each year. If one cross country trip beaks your teams bank, then you have bigger problems to focus on than your schedule.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
You and me both.... I voted with money though and cancelled season tickets, as did others.

For the past 10 years, a large group of Griffins season ticket holders (including me), hammered the Griffins staff on a yearly basis about the schedule playing the same 4-5 teams anywhere from 8-12 times a year and finally the staff got sick and tired of listening to us to where our president brought up the idea to the board of governors about a change in scheduling. My buddy, who has been with the Griffins organization since the team started, came to me and told me just after Christmas time that the AHL is getting hammered by a large number of teams and their fan bases of this issue and that the AHL asked all the teams as to whom they would like to play against for next season and this is a start of progress.

I was hoping that the Griffins would play Bridgeport, Lehigh Valley, Providence, & Springfield (teams in the East that we never have played against), but it is nice to see Hershey & Wilkes-Barrie back after so many seasons. It is a start and I hope that in the future that the Griffins will see more games vs other teams in the Eastern Conference. Missed out on teams like Portland, Saint John Flames, & Worcester, but what can you do.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
For the past 10 years, a large group of Griffins season ticket holders (including me), hammered the Griffins staff on a yearly basis about the schedule playing the same 4-5 teams anywhere from 8-12 times a year and finally the staff got sick and tired of listening to us to where our president brought up the idea to the board of governors about a change in scheduling. My buddy, who has been with the Griffins organization since the team started, came to me and told me just after Christmas time that the AHL is getting hammered by a large number of teams and their fan bases of this issue and that the AHL asked all the teams as to whom they would like to play against for next season and this is a start of progress.

I was hoping that the Griffins would play Bridgeport, Lehigh Valley, Providence, & Springfield (teams in the East that we never have played against), but it is nice to see Hershey & Wilkes-Barrie back after so many seasons. It is a start and I hope that in the future that the Griffins will see more games vs other teams in the Eastern Conference. Missed out on teams like Portland, Saint John Flames, & Worcester, but what can you do.

Axe and I have heard the same thing. We heard that only one or two teams wanted to travel and you can't build road trips going to two places. Yet the AHL could afford to subsidize the trips to Abbottsford, St. John's, Saint John, Charlotte and others through the years.

Chciago was playing NINE out of a possible 29 opponents over the past several years. Really? NINE!!!

You people out east keep going "I'm not going to give up my 4 to 5 rivalry games" try when that is SIX rivalry games (12 total) against one team.

The eastern teams at least usually saw all the teams in their own conference at least once at home. Not for the western conference.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
My suggestion from years back was this...each year at the A.S. game have each of the teams in the league ,who were willing to travel to the other conference, let the league know. Then the league could start matching up the teams via the schedule.

Ex...Western Conference willing to go east:
Milwaukee
Grand Rapids
Rockford
Chicago
Texas
San Antonio

Eastern Teams:
Rochester
Providence
Wilkes-Barre
Hershey
Toronto

Then match them up and say Chic, Milw,Rock play home and home against Roch,Providence and Tor

SA and Tex play WB/S and Her then do it again next year etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad