NEW: Our Too Early Sharks' Off-Season Plan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Thanks man! It's been fun to make, and all the guests have been awesome so far.

Yeah, I actually love Sturm interviews - he seems like a bright guy and is always honest and interesting, unlike most hockey players.

One thing I’d recommend is you guys start doing some more best practices for your video content (it’s tangentially the world I work in). Having better thumbnails, better titling, making it a habit of flipping out stories across Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, etc. can help you grow your audience!

sharks_dynasty

Oct 25, 2006
San Jose, CA
Yeah, I actually love Sturm interviews - he seems like a bright guy and is always honest and interesting, unlike most hockey players.

One thing I’d recommend is you guys start doing some more best practices for your video content (it’s tangentially the world I work in). Having better thumbnails, better titling, making it a habit of flipping out stories across Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, etc. can help you grow your audience!
Looks like you have volunteered to help!!

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
That’ll be 4.3 million for 3 years. I have intangible leadership qualities.

No, but actually, @Kcoyote3, if you guys want any advice in that arena, I’ll gladly give it, just PM me.
I hear they're against the cap. Would you be willing to take 1 mil for 1 year in exchange for a bigger contract next year?

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I like him, but a lot of other public scouts don’t. He’s pretty one dimensional, his shooting is the standout skill. I dunno, to me he seems like a good 2nd round option, but the trend for shooters to fall has been set by guys like Zadina who don’t succeed at the next level.

He was Finland’s best forward at the U18s though and I watched some U20 games of his and he looked good, just not super creative.
We got Haltunnen at 36 and we signed Zadina! Lol

Reactions: landshark

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Ugh, fine.
GM Wimpy FTW!

GMWimpy.gif

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Thank you! Got to work on my podcast voice, get less monotone. But we'll get there, we'll get there.
If you have a piano/keyboard, practice talking/humming in each note in an octave you're comfortable with, in monotone. Eventually you'll learn the subtle but important differences in the scale and as a result, your speaking voice will naturally start using them accordingly. Good luck and congrats!

ie...

Find your octave, probably middle C or one lower.

C - welcome to SJ Hockey now podcast
D - welcome to SJ Hockey now podcast
E - welcome to SJ Hockey now podcast
etc...

Then, you can mix them up

C - welcome, D - to, E - SJ, F - Hockey ... etc...

~ sincerely, a former mono-tone speaker/singer

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
That’ll be 4.3 million for 3 years. I have intangible leadership qualities.

No, but actually, @Kcoyote3, if you guys want any advice in that arena, I’ll gladly give it, just PM me.
But is the contract buyout proof? Two-way deal?

I'll send you a PM haha. We're kind of winging it, but trying to get more aware of what is best YT and social media practice

We got Haltunnen at 36 and we signed Zadina! Lol
Damn haha, didn't realize I mentioned both at the same time!

Sharks do need scorers though. Halttunen has potential for sure though. Zadina signing has no downside so I'm happy about it

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
If you have a piano/keyboard, practice talking/humming in each note in an octave you're comfortable with, in monotone. Eventually you'll learn the subtle but important differences in the scale and as a result, your speaking voice will naturally start using them accordingly. Good luck and congrats!

ie...

Find your octave, probably middle C or one lower.

C - welcome to SJ Hockey now podcast
D - welcome to SJ Hockey now podcast
E - welcome to SJ Hockey now podcast
etc...

Then, you can mix them up

C - welcome, D - to, E - SJ, F - Hockey ... etc...

~ sincerely, a former mono-tone speaker/singer
Interesting! It probably has to be a conscious thing like that to really make a difference. Did you feel it significantly improved when you put the effort in?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
But is the contract buyout proof? Two-way deal?

I'll send you a PM haha. We're kind of winging it, but trying to get more aware of what is best YT and social media practice

It’s not two-way, I’m too old, I need the security. There’s a 10 team trade list though.

Yeah man, feel free. Podcasts are obviously tougher than sketch or whatever, but there are still things you guys can do that aren’t a ton of work but that can slowly increase your reach and subscriber base.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Interesting! It probably has to be a conscious thing like that to really make a difference. Did you feel it significantly improved when you put the effort in?
It helped me a lot, though most noticeable in my singing/rapping for obvious reasons, but my speaking voice got a lot more flavor. Now I'll caveat that by saying Ive been working on this for some time before I started playing piano (I also do voices), but this took it all to another level I couldn't have gotten otherwise. I can be much more expressive now because I know the subtle steps in the notes and were to take my voice, where to hold it, where to land it. Singing along to soft spoken songs / poems / slam poetry also helped.

Note: I am not a professional at this. I just have a lot of hobbies/interests and g33k out hard on them. But my job requires me to do a lot of creative problem solving with very complex systems, so I try, fail, learn, and iterate a lot.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
It helped me a lot, though most noticeable in my singing/rapping for obvious reasons, but my speaking voice got a lot more flavor. Now I'll caveat that by saying Ive been working on this for some time before I started playing piano (I also do voices), but this took it all to another level I couldn't have gotten otherwise. I can be much more expressive now because I know the subtle steps in the notes and were to take my voice, where to hold it, where to land it. Singing along to soft spoken songs / poems / slam poetry also helped.

Note: I am not a professional at this. I just have a lot of hobbies/interests and g33k out hard on them. But my job requires me to do a lot of creative problem solving with very complex systems, so I try, fail, learn, and iterate a lot.

I feel like “try, fail, learn, and iterate a lot” is one of those wisdoms I wish I’d had embraced a lot earlier in life.

Boy Hedican

Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I feel like “try, fail, learn, and iterate a lot” is one of those wisdoms I wish I’d had embraced a lot earlier in life.
took me a while to accept failures. I’m a creative perfectionist, so I typically would abandon things before they can fail. My career forced failures, and I embraced it, and since I’ve been failing up in just about everything I do.

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Audio only: San Jose Hockey Now Podcast | San Jose Hockey Now Podcast #6: Michael Santos Talks Risk-Reward of Sharks Keeping Karlsson

We talked with Michael Santos, longtime NHL executive about Karlsson, the state of the Sharks, and about his new independent scouting service Team 33. They do consulting work for the Canadiens and Ducks currently, and do independent player evals throughout the league. They give value scores for each player based on production, age, contract, scouting reports, injury history, etc. Was awesome to hear their scouts thoughts on the Sharks prospects

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
We got two podcasts out now! First is pre-EK65 trade talk, WJSS Sharks prospects overview from me, and an interview with current AGM of the Flyers and former Shark Alyn McCauley! Second is the emergency EK65 trade podcast. Thanks everyone!

Audio only: San Jose Hockey Now Podcast or Spotify/Apple/Google podcasts

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Alyn McCauley was a solid player for the Sharks, and it was a great interview as such, but he talks like it's 2010. His "revelations" and insights; his talking about the Flyers's strategy makes me think that their rebuild isn't going to work.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
Good to hear that some organizations are upfront and transparent about a rebuild

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Alyn McCauley was a solid player for the Sharks, and it was a great interview as such, but he talks like it's 2010. His "revelations" and insights; his talking about the Flyers's strategy makes me think that their rebuild isn't going to work.
His comments about Michkov were ridiculous, and he’s working for the team that picked him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad