NEW: Craig Button Talks Sharks' No. 14 Pick, Loves Celebrini & Smith

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
What were thoughts of him at the time? What kind of media access to him was there?
He was highly regarded after the '94 season...results do matter, and despite his age, he took a "terrible" team very far. But access was quite minimal (and I'm sure age and distance have cooked his brains somewhat). Sheng's interview is a great example of letting your interviewee build a noose and then hang himself with it.

• Haha
Reactions: Shark Finn and DG93

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Not sure if it's just my pod player (podcastaddict) or a wonky DL, but this interview is only coming out the left side of my headphones.
Oooh, I had only one ear bud in while listening at work and just thought it was muted for some reason once it got to constantine, hah.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Finally finished this episode. Constantine was a great interview (the Jagr stories are amazing) but I thought it was very funny that his two big takeaways from coaching in South Korea is that players say thank you after practice and respect him because he’s older. I feel like we got some real insight directly into his soul there.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I’m guessing Jason Demers.
Winner.

Jason was probably my favorite interview so far. Very down to earth and easy to get a conversation going with. Tons of great insights into the locker room of 2010-2014. Makes me miss when the Sharks were competitive. We also talk about the 2024 draft, and just a few of the wayyyy too early trends and top players headed into the year.

Audio only:

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I feel like there was one question that was missing

Can you have more than one mox in your deck? I've not played M:tG in 30 years... perhaps times have changed.

1693063985737.png

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Mario Ferraro joined Sheng after captain's skate this week. Also, Sheng and I go through all the Stanley Cup winners and a lot of the losers to try to determine how hard in the tank each one was before winning the cup. Some Sharks news related to the Rookie Faceoff rosters and DW landing a new gig.

Thanks all!

Audio only: San Jose Hockey Now Podcast | San Jose Hockey Now Podcast #13: Mario Ferraro Guest Stars + How Do You Build a Cup Winner?

Great breakdown of cap era Cup winners that really drives home the point that this shouldn't be a 10 year rebuild or something crazy like that. Ideally we should start making moves to improve next offseason (Dante Fabbro, Sam Girard, Jeremy Swayman, Ilya Samsonov are among the potentially available players I'd have my eye on) then start to really expend capital to level up starting in 2025.

Hopefully we're building around Celebrini or Eiserman and/or one of the top 2025 picks in addition to Smith and Eklund but if we don't get the lottery luck that's fine. Tanking indefinitely isn't a good plan.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Great breakdown of cap era Cup winners that really drives home the point that this shouldn't be a 10 year rebuild or something crazy like that. Ideally we should start making moves to improve next offseason (Dante Fabbro, Sam Girard, Jeremy Swayman, Ilya Samsonov are among the potentially available players I'd have my eye on) then start to really expend capital to level up starting in 2025.

Hopefully we're building around Celebrini or Eiserman and/or one of the top 2025 picks in addition to Smith and Eklund but if we don't get the lottery luck that's fine. Tanking indefinitely isn't a good plan.
This team currently needs several top line F (assuming one of Smith/Eklund can take one spot) and a top pair on defense (assuming 2 of Muk, Thrun, Knyzhov can be the other top-4 D). It takes time to acquire and develop those pieces in the draft (2024 and 2025 top-3 picks as you said). I don't see a big rush to add depth pieces like Fabbro, Girard, and Samsonov next summer. Summer of 2025 or 2026 even is a more realistic timeline imo.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
This team currently needs several top line F (assuming one of Smith/Eklund can take one spot) and a top pair on defense (assuming 2 of Muk, Thrun, Knyzhov can be the other top-4 D). It takes time to acquire and develop those pieces in the draft (2024 and 2025 top-3 picks as you said). I don't see a big rush to add depth pieces like Fabbro, Girard, and Samsonov next summer. Summer of 2025 or 2026 even is a more realistic timeline imo.
Any established NHL player we can acquire is likely to be on the downswing by the time the Sharks are ready to compete.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hopefully it shouldn't take too long for Smith and our top pick in 2024 to develop. The biggest advantage of drafting this high is that it's easier to get players who are more or less ready to step into the NHL and make an impact.

Adding a couple of middle pairing defensemen and a 1A/1B-type starting goalie won't turn us into a playoff team let alone a contender overnight but when you combine that with Smith, Eklund and the 2024 1st establishing themselves over the next 2-3 years, one of Bystedt, Musty, Halttunen or Lund emerging as a top nine F over that time, maybe keeping one of Zadina or Duclair as a second line scorer, etc. you start to get closer.

I'm not saying we should trade unprotected 1sts or Smith/Eklund anytime soon (unless we're getting Elias Pettersson or something) but we will have enough assets and cap space to start moving incrementally up the standings after this season. We should be trying to do that rather than just relying solely on prospects developing outside of the foundational pieces.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Hopefully it shouldn't take too long for Smith and our top pick in 2024 to develop. The biggest advantage of drafting this high is that it's easier to get players who are more or less ready to step into the NHL and make an impact.

Adding a couple of middle pairing defensemen and a 1A/1B-type starting goalie won't turn us into a playoff team let alone a contender overnight but when you combine that with Smith, Eklund and the 2024 1st establishing themselves over the next 2-3 years, one of Bystedt, Musty, Halttunen or Lund emerging as a top nine F over that time, maybe keeping one of Zadina or Duclair as a second line scorer, etc. you start to get closer.

I'm not saying we should trade unprotected 1sts or Smith/Eklund anytime soon (unless we're getting Elias Pettersson or something) but we will have enough assets and cap space to start moving incrementally up the standings after this season. We should be trying to do that rather than just relying solely on prospects developing outside of the foundational pieces.
I think hoping that Celebrini (assuming SJ gets #1 OA)-Eklund + Bystedt-Smith in the top-6 + Muk-Knyzhov and Thrun in the top-4 is enough of a baseline to start adding support players via FA/trade is ambitious. I'd like to see 1-2 top prospects added to that group before you start adding those supporting pieces that you suggested. A 8-10yr rebuild like Buffalo is too long, but I think I'd prefer extending it an extra 1-2 years past your timeline.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I really enjoyed the podcast, and the previous ones. Guys, you're doing a great job and it's wonderful to have consistent coverage for the Sharks (even if our audience is a lot smaller than other fan bases). I just have a few critiques with the analysis.

1. "Tank" vs. "No Tank" -- the first three "no tanks" were *in* the modern era, but they were legacies of the previous era. So 3 "no tank" successes isn't all that strong of evidence. So many of the modern successes, especially multi-year contenders and not just one-off non-tankers (Carolina), are built around extremely high draft picks. Almost all of the contenders are.

2. All of the multi-year contenders these days are built around at least one high draft pick, oftentimes far more than one. Sure, sometimes it wasn't a pure intentional tank. But the picks are there, AND they have to hit, AND you have to build around them... but without them, you're not a multi-year contender, you're a pretender. Even if a team didn't blatantly tank for a high pick, almost every one of the modern era cup winners had an *extended* period of rebuilding intentionally, top 5 pick or no. Yes, some teams are stuck in these perennial rebuilds (Vancouver, CBJ, etc... until recently, Buffalo). But it takes a top 5 pick, ideally more than one, and ideally a whole lot more picks accumulated over a down period, even if not bottom-of-barrel period. Sure, some of the big names won't be top 5... but if they were accumulated during down years and drafted for the future, I think this still counts as "intentional rebuild" even if not "tank."

Comments on winners since 2005:
1. Canes: no tank, legacy solid team + high Staal pick as you mentioned
2. Ducks: legacy built team.
3. Wings: legacy built team.
4. Penguins: team built around great luck, AND, a ton of down years. Agreed "tank" but also long rebuild and lots of dark years.
5. Hawks: as you said, Tank... but ALSO, huge amount of drafted and developed players. You guys breezed over Keith, Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson... all these players (and more!) acquired from 2002 onward, so it wasn't just Kane/Toews to build a winner, it took a long time of slowly building with a whole lot of "shots on goal" in the draft.
6. Bruins, no tank, but a (short) painful and careful rebuild after trading away Jumbo. No playoffs for 2 years, then a first round exit, then 2 2nd round exits, then the cup.
7. Kings: No "Tank", but a very extended rebuild through the 2000's, resulting in 11OA Kopitar in 2005, 2OA Doughty in 2008, and many more.
8. Blackhawks, Kings, Blackhawks, Penguins, Penguins. All teams tanked and/or rebuilt around some stellar high draft picks.
9. Capitals. Tank AND a long, lengthy rebuild. The Sharks of the East, but with Ovechkin instead of having to trade for Thornton.
10. Blues -- no "tank," but a long rebuild in the 2000's and a lot of their late 2010s success owed to that solid foundation - Pietrangelo 4th overall. Binnington 2011 (thank god he sucks now, but...). 2010, Tarasenko #16 and Jaden Schwartz #14. And so on.
11. Lightning -- goes without saying. Hedman 2nd overall in 2009, Stamkos 1st in 2008, and many more in those late 2000's. Note -- it took them 12 years!!! from Stamkos to a Cup.
12. Avalanche -- goes without saying. Mackinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Makar, Toews, Byram. Intentional or no, a very long period of pain built a huge number of successful draft picks (and some duds). Still took them 10 years.
13. EDIT: Vegas. Yes, they are an exception, but they are an exception for obvious reasons. They got a solid team to start (not spectacular), built very well from there, and have worked magic on cap circumvention before catching lightning in a bottle. They're f'd from here on out though.

The takeaways for me:
1. Unless your high draft pick is a generational talent like Sid the Kid, it's going to take more than 5 years from your top pick before you're truly competitive for the cup. More likely 10, from your first high pick.
2. It takes more than one tank year... it takes an extended period of pretty bad/mediocre teams, and ideally more than one top pick, if you want to be a perennial contender.
3. If you never tank, you may pretend, but you are not likely going to contend, because the last team to be successful doing this were the Kings, and even they had a whole long period in the 2000's to stockpile solid picks (and have 11OA turn into Kopitar and 2OA turn into Drew Doughty).
4. To make it very specific to the Sharks, we need to expect about 2-4 more years in the dungeon, hopefully accumulating some very high picks and also lots of shots on goal in late 1st round and beyond, and hope that we nail about 4-5 of them. By 2028, we should be excited about our team and looking like New Jersey. By 2030 we could/should be a playoff force and hopefully by 2032 we're well and truly contending at the top of the league. If only our ownership had realized we needed to start this process in 2019, we would be 3-4 years ahead of where we are, instead of where we are. (EDIT 2): if we try to pull out of it too fast, we risk finding ourselves in the Flames/Canucks/Predators (and more) dead zone. Pretenders or forever lukewarm.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I really enjoyed the podcast, and the previous ones. Guys, you're doing a great job and it's wonderful to have consistent coverage for the Sharks (even if our audience is a lot smaller than other fan bases). I just have a few critiques with the analysis.

1. "Tank" vs. "No Tank" -- the first three "no tanks" were *in* the modern era, but they were legacies of the previous era. So 3 "no tank" successes isn't all that strong of evidence. So many of the modern successes, especially multi-year contenders and not just one-off non-tankers (Carolina), are built around extremely high draft picks. Almost all of the contenders are.

2. All of the multi-year contenders these days are built around at least one high draft pick, oftentimes far more than one. Sure, sometimes it wasn't a pure intentional tank. But the picks are there, AND they have to hit, AND you have to build around them... but without them, you're not a multi-year contender, you're a pretender. Even if a team didn't blatantly tank for a high pick, almost every one of the modern era cup winners had an *extended* period of rebuilding intentionally, top 5 pick or no. Yes, some teams are stuck in these perennial rebuilds (Vancouver, CBJ, etc... until recently, Buffalo). But it takes a top 5 pick, ideally more than one, and ideally a whole lot more picks accumulated over a down period, even if not bottom-of-barrel period. Sure, some of the big names won't be top 5... but if they were accumulated during down years and drafted for the future, I think this still counts as "intentional rebuild" even if not "tank."

4. Penguins: team built around great luck, AND, a ton of down years. Agreed "tank" but also long rebuild and lots of dark years.
5. Hawks: as you said, Tank... but ALSO, huge amount of drafted and developed players. You guys breezed over Keith, Byfuglien, Hjalmarsson... all these players (and more!) acquired from 2002 onward, so it wasn't just Kane/Toews to build a winner, it took a long time of slowly building with a whole lot of "shots on goal" in the draft.
6. Bruins, no tank, but a (short) painful and careful rebuild after trading away Jumbo. No playoffs for 2 years, then a first round exit, then 2 2nd round exits, then the cup.
7. Kings: No "Tank", but a very extended rebuild through the 2000's, resulting in 11OA Kopitar in 2005, 2OA Doughty in 2008, and many more.
8. Blackhawks, Kings, Blackhawks, Penguins, Penguins. All teams tanked and/or rebuilt around some stellar high draft picks.
9. Capitals. Tank AND a long, lengthy rebuild. The Sharks of the East, but with Ovechkin instead of having to trade for Thornton.
10. Blues -- no "tank," but a long rebuild in the 2000's and a lot of their late 2010s success owed to that solid foundation - Pietrangelo 4th overall. Binnington 2011 (thank god he sucks now, but...). 2010, Tarasenko #16 and Jaden Schwartz #14. And so on.
11. Lightning -- goes without saying. Hedman 2nd overall in 2009, Stamkos 1st in 2008, and many more in those late 2000's. Note -- it took them 12 years!!! from Stamkos to a Cup.
12. Avalanche -- goes without saying. Mackinnon, Landeskog, Rantanen, Makar, Toews, Byram. Intentional or no, a very long period of pain built a huge number of successful draft picks (and some duds). Still took them 10 years.
13. EDIT: Vegas. Yes, they are an exception, but they are an exception for obvious reasons. They got a solid team to start (not spectacular), built very well from there, and have worked magic on cap circumvention before catching lightning in a bottle. They're f'd from here on out though.

The takeaways for me:
1. Unless your high draft pick is a generational talent like Sid the Kid, it's going to take more than 5 years from your top pick before you're truly competitive for the cup. More likely 10, from your first high pick.
2. It takes more than one tank year... it takes an extended period of pretty bad/mediocre teams, and ideally more than one top pick, if you want to be a perennial contender.
3. If you never tank, you may pretend, but you are not likely going to contend, because the last team to be successful doing this were the Kings, and even they had a whole long period in the 2000's to stockpile solid picks (and have 11OA turn into Kopitar and 2OA turn into Drew Doughty).
4. To make it very specific to the Sharks, we need to expect about 2-4 more years in the dungeon, hopefully accumulating some very high picks and also lots of shots on goal in late 1st round and beyond, and hope that we nail about 4-5 of them. By 2028, we should be excited about our team and looking like New Jersey. By 2030 we could/should be a playoff force and hopefully by 2032 we're well and truly contending at the top of the league. If only our ownership had realized we needed to start this process in 2019, we would be 3-4 years ahead of where we are, instead of where we are. (EDIT 2): if we try to pull out of it too fast, we risk finding ourselves in the Flames/Canucks/Predators (and more) dead zone. Pretenders or forever lukewarm.
Here are some stats about top 5 draft picks since 2010.

- 1 #1 pick has won the cup (MacKinnon) and another 1 played in a final (Ekblad). 2 more have made it to a CF (McDavid & Nuge)

- 3 #2 draft picks have won a cup (Seguin, Landeskog & Eichel), and another 2 have played in a cup final (Barkov & Reinhart). 1 more has played in a CF (Svechnikov)

- 0 #3 draft picks have won the cup. 3 have played in a final (Heiskanen, Kotkaniemi & Drouin). 1 more has played in a CF (Draisaitl)

- 2 #4 picks have won the cup (Makar & Byram) and another 2 have played in a Final (Johansen & Bennett). 1 more has played in a CF (Larsson).

- 0 #5 picks have won or played for a cup. Only 1 has played in a CF (Niederreiter)

So out of 70 picks, we have:

6 Cup Winners
8 Finalists
6 Conference Finalists

20 players in total, representing 9 teams (Colorado, Florida, Edmonton, Boston, Vegas, Carolina, Dallas, Montreal, and Nashville). Of those teams, Boston, Nashville, and Vegas traded for the player or draft slot (not 100% on this). 27 teams selected picks, notably Pittsburgh, Washington, Vegas, Minnesota, and St Louis, all cup winners (except MIN) in the time frame, did not pick.

2010s was not a good time to be bad

Sheng Peng

The takeaways for me:
Thanks for listening!

Maybe it's my fault for not defining "tank" clearly enough. I think there are shades on how hard you try to lose. To me, to "tank" is on the more extreme side. Just being bad isn't a tank, in my mind.

I've given this example elsewhere, but to me, a "tank" move would be to give Aaron Dell your No. 2 goalie job this past summer instead of acquiring Blackwood to compete for No. 1. The Sharks, of course, aren't in position to invest heavily in their goaltending right now. So a high-ceiling reclamation project like Blackwood makes perfect sense for them. He works out, maybe you've found your starter for the next few years. He doesn't, not much lost.

So my overall point, high draft picks are important, but you don't, by my definition, need to tank to get them. In a lot of the examples that I offered on the pod, the teams got high picks, but they were more bad unintentionally than anything.

Big picture, I think what Grier doing is right. Try to keep the Sharks competitive with low-risk moves, if it works out, that's great, you've given a youngster like say Eklund a very positive experience of playing with good, productive pros and maybe experience a playoff chase. If it doesn't work, great, you're on the highway to a high pick.

And as we saw in many examples too, a lot of recent high-end teams benefited from winning the lottery too. So you don't have to be as bad as possible to still get those high picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad