NEW: Sturm Talks Sharks Firing Quinn, Drafting Celebrini

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don't get this? I've seen this around, but I thought his comments were perfectly fine, also considering that he had to be somewhat careful what he said.
Hey Sheng, obviously this is just my opinion, but for me it’s mostly because he danced around the question. On top of that, he made it sound like it would be difficult to get tape on Michkov or that the Flyers or any other team doesn’t have scouts in Russia. He also said that a couple years ago Michkov looked like he would be up there with Bedard. Then to defend not selecting Michkov by stating that a local player is a known commodity seems like a lazy cop out. When 2 players are seen as on equal footing I think that justification makes sense, but when you select someone who’s viewed as a lesser commodity only because he’s more know, that’s a disservice to your franchise.

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

Sheng Peng

Hey Sheng, obviously this is just my opinion, but for me it’s mostly because he danced around the question. On top of that, he made it sound like it would be difficult to get tape on Michkov or that the Flyers or any other team doesn’t have scouts in Russia. He also said that a couple years ago Michkov looked like he would be up there with Bedard. Then to defend not selecting Michkov by stating that a local player is a known commodity seems like a lazy cop out. When 2 players are seen as on equal footing I think that justification makes sense, but when you select someone who’s viewed as a lesser commodity only because he’s more know, that’s a disservice to your franchise.
Did you expect him to bash other teams? The way he answered the question, he just took his best guess why teams passed.

Not every team has a scout actually in Russia. The Sharks' Russian area scout, for example, lives in Ukraine. So it's hard to say how many live viewings that the Sharks got of Michkov last year.

The other "unknowable" things about Michkov aren't just as a player too, right? There's worry that he will be barred from coming over, etc.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
Did you expect him to bash other teams? The way he answered the question, he just took his best guess why teams passed.

Not every team has a scout actually in Russia. The Sharks' Russian area scout, for example, lives in Ukraine. So it's hard to say how many live viewings that the Sharks got of Michkov last year.

The other "unknowable" things about Michkov aren't just as a player too, right? There's worry that he will be barred from coming over, etc.
Sharks scout lives in Ukraine… with what’s going on might as well say he’s not a scout anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

All very fair points, especially the "unknowable" part.

My primary issue is that Russian prospects are at a disadvantage in the evaluation process. Even if there are a limited number of scouts in Russia currently (he did highlight the importance of seeing him "live"), there is still plenty of available video of Michkov, along with most teams now employing analytics departments. He also said that Michkov was considered to be up there with Bedard, and most reviews of Michkov as a player have been glowing. In his best guess as to why other teams passed he seemed to propagate that stereotype. If he had cited political reasons or being unsure if they could even get him to come over etc. that would be understandable. Maybe it was implicit in what he said, or like you said, he's being careful.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
All very fair points, especially the "unknowable" part.

My primary issue is that Russian prospects are at a disadvantage in the evaluation process. Even if there are a limited number of scouts in Russia currently (he did highlight the importance of seeing him "live"), there is still plenty of available video of Michkov, along with most teams now employing analytics departments. He also said that Michkov was considered to be up there with Bedard, and most reviews of Michkov as a player have been glowing. In his best guess as to why other teams passed he seemed to propagate that stereotype. If he had cited political reasons or being unsure if they could even get him to come over etc. that would be understandable. Maybe it was implicit in what he said, or like you said, he's being careful.
If the way the qoute was said here, it sounded like he meant that Michkov was seen as about Bedard level a few years ago when scouts and teams could actually see both of them. But Michkov fell off the last few years when nobody could actually see what he can do now against his competition.

There are lots of highlights of Michkov but they tell you absolutely nothing of what kind of player he actually is. As they are all basically just his best plays and usually only ever show one side of the ice.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
If the way the qoute was said here, it sounded like he meant that Michkov was seen as about Bedard level a few years ago when scouts and teams could actually see both of them. But Michkov fell off the last few years when nobody could actually see what he can do now against his competition.

There are lots of highlights of Michkov but they tell you absolutely nothing of what kind of player he actually is. As they are all basically just his best plays and usually only ever show one side of the ice.
From a public perspective, yes most of the stuff you'll see about Michkov is highlights. Unless you do lots of digging, pay for KHL streaming service, or use a video service like Instat.

That being said, NHL scouts have tons of full game footage of Michkov, it's still just a different scouting experience than live viewings, meetings, etc. I think that's what he was getting at, just how even though they, and all NHL teams, have access to basically every game Michkov has played for the past 3-4 years in a video format, it's still just not the same as in-person.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Just listened to the most recent episode and wanted to say what a breath of fresh air it is to finally have a Sharks podcast with two hosts who are extremely knowledgeable not just about the Sharks but the NHL and hockey in general.

There have been good Sharks podcasts in the past (shout out to Dudes On Hockey) but this is the first time I feel like we have one on par with the best team-focused NHL podcasts. Keep up the great work guys.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Just listened to the most recent episode and wanted to say what a breath of fresh air it is to finally have a Sharks podcast with two hosts who are extremely knowledgeable not just about the Sharks but the NHL and hockey in general.

There have been good Sharks podcasts in the past (shout out to Dudes On Hockey) but this is the first time I feel like we have one on par with the best team-focused NHL podcasts. Keep up the great work guys.
This may be the nicest thing you've ever said. New leaf Hodge is real! Thank you.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

This may be the nicest thing you've ever said. New leaf Hodge is real! Thank you.

I concur on all counts!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
giphy.gif

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

A long Kevin Constantine interview, former Sharks coach from 1993-1995. Lots of stories, including Jagr stories which were pretty hilarious.

We also talk about the new Sharks hires and the trend of adding development and scouting staff, something the prior regime didn't really do. We also talk about the Ryan Merkley KHL signing, and finally Sheng shares some scouts' opinions on Rutta, Granlund and Hoffman.

Audio only: San Jose Hockey Now Podcast | San Jose Hockey Now Podcast #10: Kevin Constantine Guest Stars + NHL Scout Talks Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

A long Kevin Constantine interview, former Sharks coach from 1993-1995. Lots of stories, including Jagr stories which were pretty hilarious.

We also talk about the new Sharks hires and the trend of adding development and scouting staff, something the prior regime didn't really do. We also talk about the Ryan Merkley KHL signing, and finally Sheng shares some scouts' opinions on Rutta, Granlund and Hoffman.

Audio only: San Jose Hockey Now Podcast | San Jose Hockey Now Podcast #10: Kevin Constantine Guest Stars + NHL Scout Talks Granlund, Hoffman, Rutta

Great interview. You can see why Constantine is no longer an NHL coach.

Reactions: Hodge

Sheng Peng

Thank you!

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Agreed with Hodge, you guys ask great questions from your guests (a rarity in sports honestly) and I really appreciate the scouting reports on our rookies and the very measured thoughts on the team in general. I liked the podcast the first time Sheng did it, but I think the quality of the discourse has really gone up.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Agreed with Hodge, you guys ask great questions from your guests (a rarity in sports honestly) and I really appreciate the scouting reports on our rookies and the very measured thoughts on the team in general. I liked the podcast the first time Sheng did it, but I think the quality of the discourse has really gone up.
As it turns out, Sheng is really good at putting together questions to interview people. Feel like he should pursue a journalism career.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Not sure if it's just my pod player (podcastaddict) or a wonky DL, but this interview is only coming out the left side of my headphones.

Great interview. You can see why Constantine is no longer an NHL coach.

What were thoughts of him at the time? What kind of media access to him was there?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad