Online Series: Netflix: Dark

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
9/10 Definitely one of if not my favourite netflix original. Subtitles can become tedious and can take me out of shows if I try watching it all at once but this doesn't do that for me. I'm so intrigued by the story itself, the tone, and the score that I knocked out both season 1 in 2 days when it came out and now the same for season 2.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Decided to do a rewatch of season 1 before diving into season 2 and being 7 episodes in...it was the right decision :laugh:

Just as great the second time around as the first.

Reactions: montreal

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Anyways finished season 2 and at some point, the show lost it's appeal. I feel like they can keep sticking us down numerous rabbit holes indefinitely and it lost it's impact on the audience. The show is really well done with an intricate story that keeps going down layer after layer.

The older Jonas (bum looking one, not Adam) does things that don't make sense based on what he should already know about past events. Ending the multiverse thing is a nice twist but the next season I can only imagine

So the mute girl had a child with Noah that is herself or am I missing something there. Also one character I'm confused about is Alexander Tidelman(sp) What time is he really from and who is he?

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Had to rewatch season 1 as well as there is just so much that happens, a recap wasn’t enough. Forgot how addicting the show is.
Onto season 2, just finished Episode 4 and phew...
Great episode, felt really satisfying to have all the main characters in the modern timeline get up to speed. Can now move more into the interesting stuff surrounding Claudia, Jonas, Noah, etc. Incredible plot twist at the end.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Anyways finished season 2 and at some point, the show lost it's appeal. I feel like they can keep sticking us down numerous rabbit holes indefinitely and it lost it's impact on the audience. The show is really well done with an intricate story that keeps going down layer after layer.

The older Jonas (bum looking one, not Adam) does things that don't make sense based on what he should already know about past events. Ending the multiverse thing is a nice twist but the next season I can only imagine

So the mute girl had a child with Noah that is herself or am I missing something there. Also one character I'm confused about is Alexander Tidelman(sp) What time is he really from and who is he?

Spoiler

The ending of season 2 is what is going to make me stop watching. Now instead of time travel, it is going to be about parallel universes.

The mute girl had a child with Noah and that child ended up being Charlotte, the mute girl's mother. Therefore the mute girl is her own Grandmother, just like Fry from Futurama is his own Grandfather.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Spoiler

The ending of season 2 is what is going to make me stop watching. Now instead of time travel, it is going to be about parallel universes.

The mute girl had a child with Noah and that child ended up being Charlotte, the mute girl's mother. Therefore the mute girl is her own Grandmother, just like Fry from Futurama is his own Grandfather.

Okay makes sense. I will probably give season 3 a try but it's giving me a headache thinking about this stuff.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I watched the first episode of this show. Switched it to german and put on english subtitles. The dubbing was kinda annoying to me. Creepy as hell first episode, but intriguing.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Would love to get a discussion going with those who watch. This show has been fantastic. I didn't love the last two episodes but outside of that it's been phenomenal. Thoughts so far? Where do you think they'll go in season 3? How will it conclude?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Would love to get a discussion going with those who watch. This show has been fantastic. I didn't love the last two episodes but outside of that it's been phenomenal. Thoughts so far? Where do you think they'll go in season 3? How will it conclude?

I like this show but it's so complex and a bit draining. I feel like the can continue to stick us down rabbit holes indefinitely with the last twist of season 2. Many had that at the end of season 2 when he ended up in the future. I'll watch season 3.... but will probably need a rewatch again. I have to say the rewatch of season 1 with being up to speed was so gratifying. I think I would prefer the show be a bit tighter in the overall plot vs. anything can happen.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
All but the final two episodes of season 2 were absolutely fantastic. They did such a good job with literally everything. Then in the last two episodes everyone gets involved, things get messy, then the final scene opens up a door that IMO is completely counter to the core of the show.

Not sure what they're called but the scenes near the end of every episode with the songs playing while they show all of the people involved are absolutely fantastic. Are the songs the same in the original German version? Virtually every song played has been great.

I like this show but it's so complex and a bit draining. I feel like the can continue to stick us down rabbit holes indefinitely with the last twist of season 2. Many had that at the end of season 2 when he ended up in the future. I'll watch season 3.... but will probably need a rewatch again. I have to say the rewatch of season 1 with being up to speed was so gratifying. I think I would prefer the show be a bit tighter in the overall plot vs. anything can happen.
Completely agree. I didn't love the season 1 ending because I hate post apocalyptic themes, but there was virtually none of that in season 2 so it was fine. My concern is the same for season 3. The ending hints at potentially veering greatly from the original storyline and it's just gonna be too much.
Spoiler

I really hope this isn't the focus of season 3. It'll completely ruin the show.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Not sure what they're called but the scenes near the end of every episode with the songs playing while they show all of the people involved are absolutely fantastic. Are the songs the same in the original German version? Virtually every song played has been great.
Yeah agreed. Those moments are so good. Don't think it's at the end of every episode though, just the finales. Could be mis-remembering though.

Wasn't a fan of the ending because there's already more than enough threads this show has going on before adding in parallel universes. But the writers have earned my trust & I'm pretty sure they had the whole story mapped out when they started writing the show. So I'm cautiously optimistic even after the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

One thing I'm still wondering about... who is the young girl that was with Jonas for awhile in the future timeline? She has to be connected to the other characters.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Just finished S1, what a ride. Really well done show, great characters with solid motivation for their actions. One con though is that it was a slog of a watch, it reminded me of my read through Seveneves, minus the depression which that book caused.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
One thing I forgot to mention. They did a really great job with the voices. I love the narration too. If memory serves it's typically Adam discussing time. Also loved essentially every scene with the watchmaker, so good .

Yeah agreed. Those moments are so good. Don't think it's at the end of every episode though, just the finales. Could be mis-remembering though.

Wasn't a fan of the ending because there's already more than enough threads this show has going on before adding in parallel universes. But the writers have earned my trust & I'm pretty sure they had the whole story mapped out when they started writing the show. So I'm cautiously optimistic even after the ending left a bad taste in my mouth.

One thing I'm still wondering about... who is the young girl that was with Jonas for awhile in the future timeline? She has to be connected to the other characters.
That's where I'm at with it as well. I was really worried after the season 1 ending and season 2 was great. At this point I have to give the writers the benefit of the doubt.

Yep, it's essentially the theme of the show. Everything's connected. I'd be surprised if she's just a random girl.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've watched 7 episodes of the first season. It's good and is keeping me hooked, but sometimes the super serious tone that the show takes can make things come off a bit hokey at times with the subject matter they're dealing with. They really couldn't have done it another way though.

Having it dubbed sounds so bad though. I don't think I've ever preferred a dubbed version to subtitles though. It just doesn't work IMO. Weird that that's the setting it starts you off on though.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've watched 7 episodes of the first season. It's good and is keeping me hooked, but sometimes the super serious tone that the show takes can make things come off a bit hokey at times with the subject matter they're dealing with. They really couldn't have done it another way though.

Having it dubbed sounds so bad though. I don't think I've ever preferred a dubbed version to subtitles though. It just doesn't work IMO. Weird that that's the setting it starts you off on though.
Just finished the first season. Outside of some nitpicks with some of the acting (I'm looking at you, Jonas), and most of the technical elements being solid/good (not quite great in most aspects), outside of the sparsely used CGI which was bad, I thought this was fantastic because it's a legitimate masterclass in storytelling.

Honestly can't remember a story being this intricate and well thought out while still being accessible at the same time. At no point did I feel they were flying by the seat of their pants making things up for plot convenience, and when a character was just seemingly brought in out of nowhere (ie. the old woman overlooking the pictures), they still tied it in cleverly with the rest of the story. The subject matter lends itself to endless possibilities which I'm sure they'll expand on in Season 2 and beyond, but it didn't feel like that at all in Season 1. It was just a really tight, contained story that would hint at bigger themes. And the way they handled the story gave me the impression that this was just the tip of the iceberg, and wasn't something they wrote separately from other seasons to "see how it goes".

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Almost done with season 2. Love this show, although Ulrich is probably one of my least favorite television characters of all time. Lol. I actually like the dubbing.....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Just finished season 2, had to do a quick re-watch as I forgot some things but it was well worth it. I thought season 2 was great, not sure how much longer this will go on but it's a great show if you are into the time travel thing to which I am a fan.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Just finished season 2, had to do a quick re-watch as I forgot some things but it was well worth it. I thought season 2 was great, not sure how much longer this will go on but it's a great show if you are into the time travel thing to which I am a fan.

If it hasn't been mentioned, but I believe the plan was 3 seasons from creators.

The 3rd and final season is scheduled for 2020 (late) I believe.

So it's good they will finish their story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad