Player Discussion Neal Pionk: Part II

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
DeAngleo stinks compared to Pionk. Half of you must watch games with your eyes closed or just like the fact the clown is from NJL.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's this kind of hyperbole that makes this board what it is. So, tell us, why was he so bad last night? Points? Giveaways? What?

Poor passes out of his own end, losing coverage in his own end, I don't know what he was doing on the 2 on 1 either though he shouldn't have been put into that situation to begin with (thanks Marc.)

His analytics actually looked pretty good IIRC, but it was a big step down from his game the previous night where he was basically driving play all over the ice while holding his own defensively against very tough competition.

Reactions: haveandare

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Lots of potential here but he’s got to work on odd man rushes against. He’s consistently way too passive and backs up playing the pass even when the puck carrier carries too deep to pass. If he could he’d back up to 5th Avenue taking the net and Hank with him lol. Had he stayed a few feet closer to Raffle and allowed the gap too tighten a bit as Raffle held the puck then he (Raffle) would have felt the pressure to shoot or pass sooner while Pionk would still be in position to make a play on the potential pass. Hank also could have had an easier read then as well knowing Pionk was applying the pressure and Raffle would likely end up shooting short side because of it. Hank was in complete guess/react mode due to Pionk’s poor positioning, and the perfect shot beat him because of it.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Poor passes out of his own end, losing coverage in his own end, I don't know what he was doing on the 2 on 1 either though he shouldn't have been put into that situation to begin with (thanks Marc.)

His analytics actually looked pretty good IIRC, but it was a big step down from his game the previous night where he was basically driving play all over the ice while holding his own defensively against very tough competition.

Was he on the ice for any goals? I don't recall. I know he was a plus 1, which doesn't tell you too much, but I didn't see the same issues as you.

Maybe the entire team played better against the Leafs. Rising tide lifts all boats.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Was he on the ice for any goals? I don't recall. I know he was a plus 1, which doesn't tell you too much, but I didn't see the same issues as you.

Maybe the entire team played better against the Leafs. Rising tide lifts all boats.

Yes the one goal against that they gave up 5v5, he was defending the 2 on 1.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but this is interesting regarding last night's decision by Pionk to take away the pass rather than the shot:

DvJXGQdVAAA0K8_.jpg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not sure if this was mentioned already, but this is interesting regarding last night's decision by Pionk to take away the pass rather than the shot:

DvJXGQdVAAA0K8_.jpg

This isn’t a surprise as passes that get through a defending D cause the goalie to
Move laterally.

The issue is Pionk committed to it too quickly and just basically said “f*** it, the shooter is yours hank.” He could have played that into a lower percentage shot.

Reactions: romba

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Raffl was on his off-wing, to make that seam pass he would have had to put puck behind his heels or else he would have been on his backhand. Staal had some backpressure so Pionk should have read that and should have done a better job at contesting the shot. He allowed Raffl to get too close to the middle of the ice but Hanky should still have that one.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Pionk played the 2 on 1 correctly. If anything, like Vally and Maloney said, he could've cheated a bit towards Raffl but you take the pass option away. Pionk did. Hank was beat on a clear sighted shot. Simple as that. If Pionk takes the shot away and the pass connects for an easy dunk then Pionk gets vilified for playing the 2 on 1 that way. Damned if you do and damned if you don't especially with this kid on this board. Bottom line. Hank needed to make that save but was beat. It happens.

Plus I didn't see Hank have a full on conniption fit on Pionk for allowing the shot to take place. No stink eye. No frustrated mannerisms except upon himself.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

DvJXGQdVAAA0K8_.jpg
According to that, defenders should completely ignore the puck carrier on 2 on 1s, can’t ever blame them for playing the percentages.

As a poster said above Raffle being in the off wing improves shot percentage and worsens pass percentage and the defender needs to recognize that. Probably bit different statistics because of that. And pionk could have prevented the pass while also managing to keep Raffle a couple of feet wider as well, improving the expected save percentage/diminishing the shot quality a tad.

Look, no one is saying ‘attack the puck carrier’, but Pionk needs to chill on the backing up just a bit. Slow down the carrier by staying within attacking distance and force a tougher decision etc.

And 2 on 1, shot from the low slot where the puck carrier had a century to pick his spot and time his release, how is that a save Hank ‘should have made’? Sure it would be awesome if he did and he pulls saves like that out of his ass all the time, but really it’s as high a shot percentage play as any and the last person to blame would be Hank.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
It's incredible how many posters on this board continue to rip Pionk who is having an incredible rookie season and continue to kiss DeAngelo's butt who has been scratched multiple times. I'm quite sure Quinn who knows more than any of us isn't scratching him because he's playing better than Pionk. Just give it up already.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
It's incredible how many posters on this board continue to rip Pionk who is having an incredible rookie season and continue to kiss DeAngelo's butt who has been scratched multiple times. I'm quite sure Quinn who knows more than any of us isn't scratching him because he's playing better than Pionk. Just give it up already.

AV ruined him.

Reactions: NY Lito

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
I am genuinely confused as to what anybody would want Pionk to do differently on that 2 on 1.

He stayed center ice and took away the pass. I don't really see any way he could have added enough pressure to substantially effect Raffl's position without compromising his ability to prevent the pass.

He stands on a hard 17 with the dealer showing a king. Yeah he could hit, but why? its only going to hurt his chances of succeeding.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I am genuinely confused as to what anybody would want Pionk to do differently on that 2 on 1.

He stayed center ice and took away the pass. I don't really see any way he could have added enough pressure to substantially effect Raffl's position without compromising his ability to prevent the pass.

He stands on a hard 17 with the dealer showing a king. Yeah he could hit, but why? its only going to hurt his chances of succeeding.

Well I think putting this one play under the microscope is dumb but I don't agree he couldn't have played it better.

After rewatching, he probably should have left his feet and slid on the ice to take away the passing lane while swatting his stick toward Raffl to try and disrupt the shot. You see defensemen do this a lot on 2 on 1's.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

I don't get it either. Unless the critics see how the two players perform in practice, how the two interact with their teammates and the coach, how the two carry themselves, etc. ... it's hard to challenge the status quo. Frankly, Tony is more talented (with some moments of brilliance and some bone-headed plays), whereas Pionk is effective (with room for defensive improvement). The two are undersized -- so we either criticize both or neither in that regard -- and mostly offensive. So, as fans without inside information, we should judge them mostly by their production (points) and fit (number of games played). Pionk wins in both categories.

Edit: phrasing

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well our defense is soft and that`s a huge issue this season and that is one of the main reason we are very low in the standing!
And Pionk don`t help this case and predicament - so get value and move him we have Kevin Shattenkirk to play that role on the PP when he is back! :)

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah, its not like Pionk is Quinnie's son or anything. He wants to WIN. So, why on earth is Tony sitting? Obviously its more of a reason than any of us can recognize. Same really applies to playing Marc. More there in "favor" of playing him, than meets the eye. It could be as simple as showing he can still play "for the benefit of teams looking into acquiring him". :baghead:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ADA is more talented. his passing is better- perhaps one of the best passers on the team actually, his skating is better and his ability to control the play is all better than pionky.

what pionky has is coach Quinns trust. thats huge.

ADA is a gambler and an offensive driver. pionky is a safer play for Q and a guy who can eat minutes.

pionky's PP1 work is his bread and butter. take that away from him and hes just another 2/3 pair guy who can play a 200 ft game and makes an honest effort every shift. good but special ? naw.

ADA vs pionky ? ADA more talented. pionky more trusted. period.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
ADA is more talented. his passing is better- perhaps one of the best passers on the team actually, his skating is better and his ability to control the play is all better than pionky.

what pionky has is coach Quinns trust. thats huge.

ADA is a gambler and an offensive driver. pionky is a safer play for Q and a guy who can eat minutes.

pionky's PP1 work is his bread and butter. take that away from him and hes just another 2/3 pair guy who can play a 200 ft game and makes an honest effort every shift. good but special ? naw.

ADA vs pionky ? ADA more talented. pionky more trusted. period.

Why does Quinn trust Pionk more?

I know he's sort of persona non grata right now, but what you wrote about ADA reminds me of a Louis CK skit where he overheard a college girl who was convinced that some guy wasn't calling her back because "she was too amazing".

Reactions: ThirdEye

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Remember when i (and others with me) said that one of Neal Pionks worst issues is that he has no gap Control and that he completely gives up the blueline?

Here we have some actual data that suggests that he's actually the worst D-man in the League when it comes to defending the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad