Other Sports: NCAA Thread v12

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think this is CFL, but this is the funniest shit I have ever seen in my life:

"Orlondo Steinauer knew he had to make a change at quarterback, and when he put Dane Evans in that changed everything."

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Next time just write "Scott rode his moose into town covered in maple syrup and stopped at Horton's for a donut and some backbacon."

CANADA! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

What nobody could have known is that the game within the game was already underway.

Last week, per a source, Knight signed off on a 10-year, $85 million extension that was offered by the University of Oregon to football coach Mario Cristobal. Year No. 1 would double Cristobal’s base salary and put it in excess of $7 million a year. It escalated from there and was easily the most lucrative deal ever offered to a football coach in Eugene.

Phil and Penny have subsidized a number of powerful football-related projects at UO over the years. They’ve built buildings, expanded Autzen Stadium, helped increase the recruiting footprint and even pitched in when Cristobal said he needed to retain assistants.

Now, with Miami poised to pounce, they planned to write the check that would retain Cristobal.

However, by kickoff there was trouble.
Cristobal didn’t sign Oregon’s contract extension before the title game. He instead made plans to talk with his agent the following day. Then, his team got blown off the field by the Utes: 38-10. The Ducks’ coach took the loss hard. He spoke in the post-game news conference for only six minutes. Then, on Saturday Cristobal boarded the private plane owned by long-time Oregon booster Ed Maletis and embarked on a whirlwind recruiting trip that would include multiple states, more than 25 recruits and span 14 days.

That trip is now cut short.

Cristobal may be a few hours away from ending two days of wild speculation. He may be poised to take the head coach job at Miami. Or he may be scrambling back to Eugene to try and salvage a clunky couple of days and a booster relationship that appears to be teetering. Right now I’m not sure what Cristobal has left to come back to at Oregon because I suspect he may have lost the only donor he ever needed.

That 10-year contract extension?

“It was pulled off the table when Mario didn’t sign it and got on the plane,” said a source close to the situation.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Oregon should let him go. Cristobol isn’t that good, he’s the James Franklin of the PAC-12

I think this might be accurate. Possibly. I can't get a read on this guy's ceiling, and have always had questions, but as a lifelong fan I trust that they will get it right either way. I like the fact that they yanked the contract off the table when he started f***ing around.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think this might be accurate. Possibly. I can't get a read on this guy's ceiling, and have always had questions, but as a lifelong fan I trust that they will get it right either way. I like the fact that they yanked the contract off the table when he started f***ing around.
Oregon has the support that their coaches shouldn’t be leaving unless it’s to the NFL frankly.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If the Ducks really do pursue Chip today may just be a turning point away from the utter shitshow known as my sports fandom of the last few years.
Is there rumors that Chip would make the move back? I feel like he likes it in LA.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Yeah flaws & all I still rather have Cristobal over these names if I was an Oregon fan.

Obviously they didn’t have much choice in the decision but I wouldn’t celebrate Cristobal’s departure given the likely replacement.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad