GDT: NCAA football thread

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
The new guy I don't give a shit about and usually can't remember his name has now been coaching NC State football for nine years. The years do speed up.

Did I ever tell you guys my Chuck Amato story? It's not really about him, but involves him...

Anyway, it's '01 or '02 and I'm working at the NCSU archives. These two students come in, brother and sister, and tell me the following: "Our mom is getting remarried, and her boyfriend played with Chuck Amato back in the day. His birthday is coming up, so we want to surprise him with a jersey with his number on it. Could you look it up for us?" They gave me his name, and I told them to come back the next day, as I'd have stuff for them to look through.

Now, we had a lot of football records. Game programs, weekly rosters, pre-season rosters (including injured players as well as the JV), and even summer tryout rosters. But...you can probably guess where this is going: I found nothing. This guy wasn't listed in any program, any camp roster, not on the JV or injured list. He wasn't there when Amato played ('65-'67), not in '68 when maybe he was still hanging around campus, and not even when Amato was an assistant coach during the '70s. Just...nothing.

So they come back the next day and I have everything for them to look through, but I had to tell them I'd found nothing. They looked through everything I had pulled for them, for about 30 minutes. Then they left quietly, saying nothing to me or to each other. I still wonder what eventually happened. Was the guy full of it? Was he a no-hoper walk-on who got booted off the field the first day? Who knows.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Did I ever tell you guys my Chuck Amato story? It's not really about him, but involves him...

Anyway, it's '01 or '02 and I'm working at the NCSU archives. These two students come in, brother and sister, and tell me the following: "Our mom is getting remarried, and her boyfriend played with Chuck Amato back in the day. His birthday is coming up, so we want to surprise him with a jersey with his number on it. Could you look it up for us?" They gave me his name, and I told them to come back the next day, as I'd have stuff for them to look through.

Now, we had a lot of football records. Game programs, weekly rosters, pre-season rosters (including injured players as well as the JV), and even summer tryout rosters. But...you can probably guess where this is going: I found nothing. This guy wasn't listed in any program, any camp roster, not on the JV or injured list. He wasn't there when Amato played ('65-'67), not in '68 when maybe he was still hanging around campus, and not even when Amato was an assistant coach during the '70s. Just...nothing.

So they come back the next day and I have everything for them to look through, but I had to tell them I'd found nothing. They looked through everything I had pulled for them, for about 30 minutes. Then they left quietly, saying nothing to me or to each other. I still wonder what eventually happened. Was the guy full of it? Was he a no-hoper walk-on who got booted off the field the first day? Who knows.

That is a great story.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
54 minutes of great football by my boys, followed by 6 minutes of "what the hell?" play calling, tackling, and other things that I think aged me by about 5 years in that time span
Hokies deserved to lose that game but ultimately still probably should have won. Fuente and the OC Cornelson are hot, flaming garbage.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Oklahoma pick in the 4th quarter was the play of the year.

Looks like something I’d try to do in the shallow end of the pool with a Nerf football and still probably not come up with the catch.

That was Odell-like but it was dumb because it was 4th down, just spike the ball and give your offense better field position.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I know Dr Pepper is regretting making Uagalelei (who how you spell his name
) the face. He has been awful this season. He is making GT’s defense look like UGA’s.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hokies deserved to lose that game but ultimately still probably should have won. Fuente and the OC Cornelson are hot, flaming garbage.
Won't disagree, but that said WVU's defensive front is a bad matchup for your QB as well. Maryland was effective against them because Tua's bro was getting rid of the ball fast which keeps them from generating any pressure (and that game still should have been a WVU win). A guy that tries to create, even as mobile as the Hokies QB is, is going to be in trouble going against our front unless the line play is Bama-level.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Welp, Tech was driving, might’ve taken a 7-7 tie to the locker room feeling great and getting the ball back to start the 3rd.

After the weather delay I’m guessing the small chance there was of that happening is done now.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Bama survived The Swamp. Let's face it, no one except maybe Georgia is beating them, and I'm not confident in that so go ahead and award them another trophy.

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Won't disagree, but that said WVU's defensive front is a bad matchup for your QB as well. Maryland was effective against them because Tua's bro was getting rid of the ball fast which keeps them from generating any pressure (and that game still should have been a WVU win). A guy that tries to create, even as mobile as the Hokies QB is, is going to be in trouble going against our front unless the line play is Bama-level.
When your coaches are notoriously in over their heads, they're going to manage to f*** up close games. Unfortunately for us, Fuente is a dogshit P5 head coach. Mid game adjustments and tweaking your game plan just isn't in our DNA anymore.

Maybe next year

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Miami-FSU is going to be a beautiful disaster of a game this year. My god both are absolutely terrible.

There's actually quite a few bad football teams this year. Very strange season. Like someone said go ahead a crown Bama they are the only traditional power team that looks good

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
There's actually quite a few bad football teams this year. Very strange season. Like someone said go ahead a crown Bama they are the only traditional power team that looks good
I don’t know that Bama looked good against Florida. Bama showed they were stumped if you can slow their running game. Florida isn’t much of a passing team but Bama’s middle of the defense was exposed as an issue.

I haven’t seen Bama beat at the line of scrimmage in a long time, until yesterday. Luckily for Bama they were stellar for the first three possessions and had just enough to hang on.

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad