NCAA Basketball - Offseason Thread

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Torrence Watson recently decommitted from Ohio State and it seems like he might want to stay closer to home. This is big for Mizzou/SLU who were in his last 8 schools when he cut to that.

SLU already has a commitment from another big STL area recruit, Carte'Are Gordon, and if they get Watson, they could be building something special, especially doing so on the back of St. Louis prospects. That would really help them establish themselves as the team STL recruits go to and STL has been churning out solid players recently.

Alternatively, everyone knows about Mizzou's 2017 class and adding Watson to 2018 would be big for building a program longterm.

Sep 19, 2008
this is just HUGE INJUSTICE here for student athletes everywhere. I feel like this decision openly flaunts that the NCAA is about business. Yeah, you'll sanction Pitino and Boeheim and former UConn great Jim Calhoun (the latter two because of academics) and you act like you can't have coaches paying for players (PS. You can't). Ole Miss and Louisville are in trouble for that. But how with a straight face can you sit there and tell me you cannot pay players, yet allow players to take fake classes over 20+ years for credit? It's hypocrisy.

You can't have it both ways. You can't be on the podium talking about how bad it is to pay players, going after any athlete who tries to make a buck off a singing deal or any kind of game, while at the same time saying that it's okay for these kids to be taking fake classes. I don't want to hear any excuses from UNC fan. Again, I'm not interested. What I give a **** about is the future of the kids. What I give a **** about is the contradiction from the NCAA who has basically said that these students are not students, but rather athletes. It's okay to take these courses to inflate your GPA. Because school doesn't mean anything. Because it's all about the pros. That's the message the NCAA sent with their decision today. And it should make you sick to your stomach if you like college sports. If you are going to allow students to take fake classes (DON'T TELL ME THE CLASSES AREN'T OFFERED ANYMORE, UNC FAN, THEY WERE OFFERED FOR 20+ YEARS BEFORE THE ADMINISTRATION FINALLY PUT AN "END" TO THEM BECAUSE OF "PUBLIC OUTRAGE") then why not just stop with this charade? Stop pretending like these are student athletes at this point. You're making a ****ing buck off these kids and don't have the dignity to at least pretend they're student athletes? That term is a sham, even more so because of this decision. These are just kids looking to get into the NBA or the NFL, one and done kids. What UNC did was make it blatant for decades that these kids weren't there to go to school. They were just there until they could go pro. That's the problem with college sports today. It's about money, athletics, and eligibility. These kids are going to retire when they get old at 30 and they can't play basketball or football anymore. Then you join the rest of us peons in the work force. What are you going to do then?

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
NCAA opened up a can of worms in will not be able to close. Just set up an easy A class, allow normal students to take it too and you cannot be penalized for boosting players GPA's to make them eligible.

There will be no stopping any school from doing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad