NCAA Basketball - Offseason Thread

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Sounds like Tilmon is between Illinois/Kansas/Mizzou with Mizzou being the odds on favorite (in part due to scholarship numbers).

Meanwhile, Knox has in home visits with UNC/Duke/Florida St./Mizzou. Not sure who the favorite is here. It was presumed to be Duke but Duke insiders seem less sure (one predicted that he'd go to Mizzou for example) and Duke has started turning more heavily to comparable players.

Mark Smith is the other Mizzou target still available. Seems like he's deciding between Michigan St/Mizzou/Illinois. Michigan State is the favorite here but apparently his parents want him to play closer to home which helps Mizzou/Illinois.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Sounds like Tilmon is between Illinois/Kansas/Mizzou with Mizzou being the odds on favorite (in part due to scholarship numbers).

Meanwhile, Knox has in home visits with UNC/Duke/Florida St./Mizzou. Not sure who the favorite is here. It was presumed to be Duke but Duke insiders seem less sure (one predicted that he'd go to Mizzou for example) and Duke has started turning more heavily to comparable players.

Mark Smith is the other Mizzou target still available. Seems like he's deciding between Michigan St/Mizzou/Illinois. Michigan State is the favorite here but apparently his parents want him to play closer to home which helps Mizzou/Illinois.

Smith deciding today, and it looks like Illinois is the clear favorite, but never know until the announcement actually occurs. If so, pretty happy about what Underwood pulled off considering how hard MSU came after him and an offer from UK.

As for Knox, not sure but it hasn't been looking as good for Missouri.

How do you feel about Tilmon? I would say it's not looking as good for Mizzou as I originally expected it to, but who knows with that kid. For all I know, he'll end up back at Illinois :laugh: Kidding aside, didn't know if you've heard much on that front.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Booooooooooooo. I wonder where he would have gone had he decided to enter the draft.

2nd round, which is probably why he decided to re-enter.

Man talk about a guy that absolutely torpedoed his draft stock this year. Last year talk was of mid-first with some lottery teams possibly liking him enough that he goes aroun 10.

National Defensive Player of the Year Jevon Carter enters the NBA draft but hasn't hired an agent yet. Hopefully he goes back to college, doesn't seem like he's going to be selected IMHO, and WVU's a potential title caliber team if he comes back.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Smith deciding today, and it looks like Illinois is the clear favorite, but never know until the announcement actually occurs. If so, pretty happy about what Underwood pulled off considering how hard MSU came after him and an offer from UK.

As for Knox, not sure but it hasn't been looking as good for Missouri.

How do you feel about Tilmon? I would say it's not looking as good for Mizzou as I originally expected it to, but who knows with that kid. For all I know, he'll end up back at Illinois :laugh: Kidding aside, didn't know if you've heard much on that front.

Smith I would think is going to MSU but Illinois definitely has a strong shot. Not really a ton of room for him at Mizzou.

Knox seems to have eliminated Mizzou but there's no real way of knowing that. Not too optimistic on that front, especially with increased speculation that Jontay Porter is going to reclassify.

Tilmon I'm not sure. Everything I've heard seems good for Mizzou but nothing surefire. I also heard rumors that there are academic issues. Not sure again about the veracity. Still confident for Mizzou.

The other name popping up in Mizzou circles is grad transfer Kassius Robertson which would really help spread the floor.

Most importantly, however, the Missouri NHL team is still in the playoffs while the Illinois team is not.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Smith I would think is going to MSU but Illinois definitely has a strong shot. Not really a ton of room for him at Mizzou.

Knox seems to have eliminated Mizzou but there's no real way of knowing that. Not too optimistic on that front, especially with increased speculation that Jontay Porter is going to reclassify.

Tilmon I'm not sure. Everything I've heard seems good for Mizzou but nothing surefire. I also heard rumors that there are academic issues. Not sure again about the veracity. Still confident for Mizzou.

The other name popping up in Mizzou circles is grad transfer Kassius Robertson which would really help spread the floor.

Most importantly, however, the Missouri NHL team is still in the playoffs while the Illinois team is not.

In just over an hour, Smith will announce his commitment to Illinois - I can assure you of that.

Saw that about Jontay, but I really don't know enough about him to comment.

And with regards to Tilmon, it's honestly hard to trust too much of what you hear. I mean, I don't know how many times he has changed his mind or entertained new things in his recruitment. Missouri obviously has a good shot, but who knows what that actually means for him. Never going to trust that kid until he actually steps in a campus.

Just going to ignore the hockey comment. I'm in Cubs mode :naughty:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
In just over an hour, Smith will announce his commitment to Illinois - I can assure you of that.

Saw that about Jontay, but I really don't know enough about him to comment.

And with regards to Tilmon, it's honestly hard to trust too much of what you hear. I mean, I don't know how many times he has changed his mind or entertained new things in his recruitment. Missouri obviously has a good shot, but who knows what that actually means for him. Never going to trust that kid until he actually steps in a campus.

Just going to ignore the hockey comment. I'm in Cubs mode :naughty:

I'll trust you. I haven't kept up with his recruitment once Mizzou seemed unlikely.

Jontay is really really good but I'd rather get Knox and have Porter next year plus convince MPJ to stay another year to play with his brother.

Yeah I don't know much about what's going on with Tilmon. I'm hopeful because 1) he's what we need so he'd almost assuredly start right away and get huge minutes with a damn good group of recruits and 2) Martin is from the area and has that to sell. But agreed. Will wait to see what happens.

If you want to watch hockey again, there is a hockey team in Chicago still playing!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'll trust you. I haven't kept up with his recruitment once Mizzou seemed unlikely.

Jontay is really really good but I'd rather get Knox and have Porter next year plus convince MPJ to stay another year to play with his brother.

Yeah I don't know much about what's going on with Tilmon. I'm hopeful because 1) he's what we need so he'd almost assuredly start right away and get huge minutes with a damn good group of recruits and 2) Martin is from the area and has that to sell. But agreed. Will wait to see what happens.

If you want to watch hockey again, there is a hockey team in Chicago still playing!

A week ago, I probably would have said MSU. Feeling good about this now, though. Of course, that hasn't always ended well for Illinois fans :laugh:

If MPJ is as good as indicated, he would be insane to stay a second year, even if to team up with his brother. I get that stuff is pretty cool, because I played a year of college football with my two older brothers, but you don't pass up an NBA lottery position and risk injury for that.

Funny thing about Tilmon was that the first thing you mention was the same for Illinois. Top-15 class coming in and the need for a big man right now, so he'd see the floor plenty. He also had a really good relationship with Jamaal Walker, who is from the area, and many thought retaining him was the key to keeping Tilmon. It's just a very complex recruitment and hard to really know for sure where it will go.

I'm not even from Chicago, by the way. I'm assuming you're talking the Wolves? I actually have a local USHL team that's in the conference finals for the playoffs, so I will watch them. And it's not like I won't watch the playoffs... jumping on the Oilers bandwagon, actually :yo:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
A week ago, I probably would have said MSU. Feeling good about this now, though. Of course, that hasn't always ended well for Illinois fans :laugh:

If MPJ is as good as indicated, he would be insane to stay a second year, even if to team up with his brother. I get that stuff is pretty cool, because I played a year of college football with my two older brothers, but you don't pass up an NBA lottery position and risk injury for that.

Funny thing about Tilmon was that the first thing you mention was the same for Illinois. Top-15 class coming in and the need for a big man right now, so he'd see the floor plenty. He also had a really good relationship with Jamaal Walker, who is from the area, and many thought retaining him was the key to keeping Tilmon. It's just a very complex recruitment and hard to really know for sure where it will go.

I'm not even from Chicago, by the way. I'm assuming you're talking the Wolves? I actually have a local USHL team that's in the conference finals for the playoffs, so I will watch them. And it's not like I won't watch the playoffs... jumping on the Oilers bandwagon, actually :yo:

Hah for Mizzou fans either.

Oh it's entirely wishful thinking for MPJ to stay. It's something he's talked about but I would never actually think that he'd do that.

Yeah Tilmon is one of those people that I'm just gonna wait and see. I don't blame him for decommitting though after the coach got fired. Even if he goes back.

I know but this is now two years in a row the Blues have gone further than the Blackhawks so I have to get it in while I still can.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah Tilmon is one of those people that I'm just gonna wait and see. I don't blame him for decommitting though after the coach got fired. Even if he goes back.

I know but this is now two years in a row the Blues have gone further than the Blackhawks so I have to get it in while I still can.

It wasn't that he decomitted, per say, but how he did so. From the outside perspective, re-tweeting his original commitment photo on Monday, and then decommitting that Wednesday is just weird. However, the inside scoops on that recruitment are quite strange as well. Just a really weird situation, and the fact that it was like the third time he wavered since his original commitment - it just got kind of old.

And yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from. It'll only bother me if/when the Blues actually win it all :laugh:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It's been "done" for a while, just now making it official.

I'm torn on Tilmon. If Illinois didn't need bigs so bad, I wouldn't care that much. He's a 5-star recruit, but he's also not an immediate impact player. He's got some great potential, but also has plenty of things to work on, so hopefully Martin can figure out the coaching part of being a coach.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It's been "done" for a while, just now making it official.

I'm torn on Tilmon. If Illinois didn't need bigs so bad, I wouldn't care that much. He's a 5-star recruit, but he's also not an immediate impact player. He's got some great potential, but also has plenty of things to work on, so hopefully Martin can figure out the coaching part of being a coach.

I think he can, I really like his assistants too. But yeah. MPJ is a one year player but the other big Mizzou recruits should stick around for a couple years. Gonna be interesting to see what happens with Jontay, but it seems like Mizzou is really building something.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
2nd round, which is probably why he decided to re-enter.

Man talk about a guy that absolutely torpedoed his draft stock this year. Last year talk was of mid-first with some lottery teams possibly liking him enough that he goes aroun 10.

National Defensive Player of the Year Jevon Carter enters the NBA draft but hasn't hired an agent yet. Hopefully he goes back to college, doesn't seem like he's going to be selected IMHO, and WVU's a potential title caliber team if he comes back.

Never really thought much of Grayson Allen except he's a bit of a dirty player. As far as NBA talent goes there's nothing spectacular about his game that he ever shoulda been a top 10. He strikes me as a guy who will be a bench player most if not all of his NBA career.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
If by old news you mean the past couple years. Hug had a good run his first few years in Morgantown, including a final four, then fell off for a couple years, changed his style, and now they're a factor again.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
https://twitter.com/SteveHelwagen/status/871770061790433280

Sources have indicated Thad Matta will coach 1 more year then retire ... announcement coming at 2 p.m. https://t.co/mauQj9C3eJ https://t.co/qKSrhNWgWI

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad