OT: NBA & Basketball - 2023-24 Season

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Fournier clutch in both o.t's.Brown went absolutely bonkers for them.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Thrilling game...however, and there is a massive however...up 6 points with 35 seconds and the ball. There is no excuse to throw that away. None. Nada. Zilch. Opening game or not, this is the pros. What was shaping up as a tremendous feel good win, leaves a sour taste in my mouth. With that said, I'll still take the win.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Thank goodness they held on, that would have been brutal.

Looked like an awesome atmosphere at MSG

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Fournier nailing 3's in OT. liked that Toppin got a lot of time.
He blew the coverage leading to the buzzer beater to tie the game. We really need to work on the D.

Thrilling game...however, and there is a massive however...up 6 points with 35 seconds and the ball. There is no excuse to throw that away. None. Nada. Zilch. Opening game or not, this is the pros. What was shaping up as a tremendous feel good win, leaves a sour taste in my mouth. With that said, I'll still take the win.
Believe it was a 10 point lead with 26 seconds to go.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Believe it was a 10 point lead with 26 seconds to go.
Wasnt that bad.11 point lead with 3 minutes to go.4 point lead with 26 seconds to go-then Brown hit that gigantic 3 from the Knicks logo

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Really great win by the Knicks. I almost posted mid game how great they looked (and how fun they are to watch) but after Sunday I thought better than to brag early.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This Knicks team is so easy to root for. Kemba, Rose & Burks will inevitably get banged up and we're not going to win a title with this group, but they've taken another step in the right direction and can win a series or two now.

- Randle isn't just avoiding regression, he has improved once again. Going to his right much more effectively, having taken another big step defensively...which has let him play the 5 next to Toppin without those lineups getting taken advantage of...and Julius has already developed the kind of chemistry with Fournier that he had with Bullock.

- Barrett's offensive improvements have been marginal, but his defense has taken a big step as he replaces Bullock as our primary perimeter stopper. If he can replicate last season's output with the heavier defensive burden he's carrying, I'll count this season as a win. Hopefully next year we see his off-the-dribble game taking the step that his shooting & defense have.

- Robinson added a lot of muscle so he can battle with the Embiid's & Jokic's that used to push him around, but hasn't lost too much mobility to lose his strong PnR defense or lob-threat. Missing him in the playoffs really hurt us because Capela didn't need to respect Noel as a rim-runner...so he could double Julius freely...and because he could simply push Nerlens around on the other end. If Mitch is fit this spring, that won't happen again.

- Fournier is a big downgrade defensively from Bullock, but with RJ stepping up on that end, the extra shot-creation is well worth it. As is Thibs having the option of riding the hothand between Fournier, Burks, Quickley, or (as the season goes on & he establishes himself) Grimes, in our closing lineup...though this means that Quickley is going to have to fight for his minutes more this season -- at least until injuries start to hit -- he seems up for the challenge.

- Similarly Kemba has shown his defensive warts, but the spacing that we get from having his & Fournier's shooting around our frontcourt, is a welcome change. And for as long as he's healthy he gives us another guard that can create shots in different lineups...even if Rose is going to take over as our regular closer, sooner or later, even if both of them stay shockingly healthy.

- while Obi Toppin has taken a massive leap since things started to slow down for him last spring. His handle & shot are still very raw and he's still got much to learn about defending...though he has made good progress & seems to be learning a lot from Taj...but the kid is instant energy & one of the fastest players in transition.

He's still got so much to learn, but having been a big Obi-skeptic as a prospect, he's really forced me to change my tune...especially if these Toppin-Randle looks continue to be a thing when Noel gets back. A hard worker; who has been making rapid progress since his growth spurt 4 (5?) years ago; Obi also flashes vision that I did not expect from such a raw rim-runner.

Though I suspect he'll be traded at some point, so I doubt it'll materialize for us, I now see the star the potential in Obi that the FO did when picking him...and really hope that we get to enjoy a Randle - Toppin - Robinson bigman trio all playing 30+ minutes a night before that big trade happens.

We're probably not one of the 4 teams most likely to represent the East in the Finals, but I won't be surprised at all if Thibs has us in a top 4 seed come playoff time...even if we can't snag Sexton at the deadline for Quickley, a FRP, and Knox's expiring contract; after Kemba goes down.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Julius was totally hunting that triple double when the bulls started their final run and Kemba left his clutchness back at UCONN :laugh:

Luckily RJ was ready for that last possession with the:

futurama-robot-mafia.gif

Reactions: ponzu4u

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
They have to learn to close out games, but it’s weird for the Knicks to be a good team.

I love Randle, but he really isn’t a #1 superstar. Hopefully one forces their way to here or RJ takes a huge leap.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They’re a good team with a lot of talent. They haven’t realized it yet? Randle isn’t playing with the replacements anymore. They have to get away from just giving him the ball on the right wing and clearing out. It’s so easy to defend, and there’s way too much talent for that

It’s not a slight on Randle. The coaching staff has to step in here. It’s malpractice. They are just so much more dangerous when they move, screen, roll. They have plenty of guys who can score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad