OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, Navy, Gtown, Mystics, Golf, Summer 2021-TBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I honestly don’t think it’s a woman, race, political issue at all. I’ve actually see a vast majority of posts, comments, articles etc. as positive not negative. What I think this is: a very popular person who had a mental issue on the world stage. That’s a ripe scenario for haters to spin hot takes just to be the center of attention. I expect this to die down when the next hot topic comes up.

I will say it is fair to critique athletes for their mental ability. We praise when it’s a positive and critique in other sports so I don’t see gymnasts above board here. Bias may well be the best we have ever seen, but it will be fair to say she had mental issues at a key time.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I honestly don’t think it’s a woman, race, political issue at all. I’ve actually see a vast majority of posts, comments, articles etc. as positive not negative. What I think this is: a very popular person who had a mental issue on the world stage. That’s a ripe scenario for haters to spin hot takes just to be the center of attention. I expect this to die down when the next hot topic comes up.

I will say it is fair to critique athletes for their mental ability. We praise when it’s a positive and critique in other sports so I don’t see gymnasts above board here. Bias may well be the best we have ever seen, but it will be fair to say she had mental issues at a key time.

This happens every Olympics going back to the Dan and Dave fiasco leading up to the ‘92 Olympics. Corporations hype athletes and then they shit the bed during competition for whatever reason. Just today it’s a hyper sensitive media situation.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This happens every Olympics going back to the Dan and Dave fiasco leading up to the ‘92 Olympics. Corporations hype athletes and then they shit the bed during competition for whatever reason. Just today it’s a hyper sensitive media situation.

Hmm...Simone Biles or the US Women's National Soccer team are just corp hype?

Eirikrautha

Their accomplishments are not hype, but they were certainly hyped up by the sports and advertising media. The stories for months before the Olympics were focused on how Biles was unbeatable, dominant, the greatest of all time, guaranteed the medals for just showing up (note to self, sew a goat onto my uniform after the competition). You can't watch 10 minutes of TV without a commercial with Biles on it. Good for her; her previous Olympic performance definitely justifies the buys. But with her not winning this year, the laser focus of the sports media and advertising on her does create a "hype" that did not live up to the results. The same thing was true for several of the swimmers (both male and female), though it was nice to see Ledecky pull through with several golds. Pretending there wasn't hype involved is just willful ignorance.

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Their accomplishments are not hype, but they were certainly hyped up by the sports and advertising media. The stories for months before the Olympics were focused on how Biles was unbeatable, dominant, the greatest of all time, guaranteed the medals for just showing up (note to self, sew a goat onto my uniform after the competition). You can't watch 10 minutes of TV without a commercial with Biles on it. Good for her; her previous Olympic performance definitely justifies the buys. But with her not winning this year, the laser focus of the sports media and advertising on her does create a "hype" that did not live up to the results. The same thing was true for several of the swimmers (both male and female), though it was nice to see Ledecky pull through with several golds. Pretending there wasn't hype involved is just willful ignorance.

Oh please. Particularly coming from a fan of the Capitals. Talk about hyped. Ovechkin has earned the hype. He is what the promos say he is. So is Biles. So is the US Women's soccer and basketball teams. So Is Katie Ledecky.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Sure. Who gives a shit about gymnastics or women’s soccer accept during the Olympics? Or world cups? Did you watch the US women’s Olympics trials? Didn’t think so.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Sure. Who gives a shit about gymnastics or women’s soccer accept during the Olympics? Or world cups? Did you watch the US women’s Olympics trials? Didn’t think so.

Forgot to mention other sports that only seems to matter during the Olympics. Like swimming. Phelps only seems to be a thing when the Olympics role around even though he isn’t participating. And Ledecky is a great swimmer but she is also a pretty good actor based on her Visa commercial where she learns Archery.

Corporate hype makes the Olympics what it is. If it didn’t NBC wouldn’t pay millions, or is it billions, for rights fees.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Careful. Careful. Why dont you let me answer your questions. If you want to answer for me, dont get them wrong.

The US Women's National Soccer team gets pretty strong tv ratings whenever they play. They make more income than the men's team by quite a lot. There are several players on that team that are legit national figures. Ripeno and Morgan get more national commercial exposure than Ovechkin does.

Did I watch the olympic trials. In Oregon. Yes, I did. It was hot. I was watching specifically to see Allyson Felix in the 200m and 400m. I saw the 100m where the winner lost her spot for a pot violation. I saw the 800m and 1500m finals as well as the semi and finals of the steeplechase. You know...the one with the water jump.

I saw some of Katie's trial races and I saw one of Biles' events.

I am a big fan and have been for years. Just because you might not be interested doesn't mean that applies to me.

a1f56eb0-e03f-11eb-bf6e-5e9ab496d153

Reactions: Calicaps and g00n

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Careful. Careful. Why dont you let me answer your questions. If you want to answer for me, dont get them wrong.

The US Women's National Soccer team gets pretty strong tv ratings whenever they play. They make more income than the men's team by quite a lot. There are several players on that team that are legit national figures. Ripeno and Morgan get more national commercial exposure than Ovechkin does.

Did I watch the olympic trials. In Oregon. Yes, I did. It was hot. I was watching specifically to see Allyson Felix in the 200m and 400m. I saw the 100m where the winner lost her spot for a pot violation. I saw the 800m and 1500m finals as well as the semi and finals of the steeplechase. You know...the one with the water jump.

I saw some of Katie's trial races and I saw one of Biles' events.

I am a big fan and have been for years. Just because you might not be interested doesn't mean that applies to me.

a1f56eb0-e03f-11eb-bf6e-5e9ab496d153
Yeah, I don’t believe you and if true, you are the extreme exception not the rule.

Speaking of Rapinoe, love her Subway commercials.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The same people who can't get off the couch without help, won't do their part in fighting the pandemic by masking or getting vaccinated, and whined that staying home without a proper haircut was damaging to their mental health SOMEHOW think they have the ability to criticize the fortitude of elite CHAMPION athletes representing our country half a world away during a massive COVID surge?

Yeah that adds up.

Reactions: txpd

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah, I don’t believe you and if true, you are the extreme exception not the rule.

How generous and fair and balanced of you to appreciate her commercials, even as you condemn her and the corporate hype. Magnanimous even.

Why does it even matter if people only pay attention to an Olympic sport or athlete every 4 years when the events happen? That's kind of the point.

Aren't you one of those people who gets bent out of shape when people tell you what to do? Why are you all so fired up about the actions of someone you don't know, participating in a sport you don't care about?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Also strange that people who worship the NASCAR Left Turn League with it's corporate logos on EVERYTHING are suddenly concerned about "corporate hype". As if the NFL isn't also dominated by sponsors and disproportionate hype and marketing.

Very very strange.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

You dont believe me? Why did you ask then? I mean that was a f'ing waste of my time. You know. I watch tennis and LPGA too. I watch several forms of auto racing that I bet you've never heard of.

Do you watch women's ice hockey?

Kendall%20Coyne%20Getty.jpg

Reactions: g00n

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The same people who can't get off the couch without help, won't do their part in fighting the pandemic by masking or getting vaccinated, and whined that staying home without a proper haircut was damaging to their mental health SOMEHOW think they have the ability to criticize the fortitude of elite CHAMPION athletes representing our country half a world away during a massive COVID surge?

Yeah that adds up.
I was with you all the way till here. You tend to automatically herd people into groups just so you can be pissed at them. What does a person who doesn’t get vaccinated have to do with a person who takes a cheap shot at biles?

Reactions: Eirikrautha

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Also strange that people who worship the NASCAR Left Turn League with it's corporate logos on EVERYTHING are suddenly concerned about "corporate hype". As if the NFL isn't also dominated by sponsors and disproportionate hype and marketing.

Very very strange.
Again now why are these two grouped together???

Reactions: Eirikrautha

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
You dont believe me? Why did you ask then? I mean that was a f'ing waste of my time. You know. I watch tennis and LPGA too. I watch several forms of auto racing that I bet you've never heard of.

Do you watch women's ice hockey?

Kendall%20Coyne%20Getty.jpg
I have an addiction to watching curling during the Winter Olympics. Just thought I’d get that out there. Admitting you have a problem is the first step….

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have an addiction to watching curling during the Winter Olympics. Just thought I’d get that out there. Admitting you have a problem is the first step….

This….I’ve watched chess on ESPN…..CHESS! I’ll watch anything competitive lol!

Hog should know this audience better lol….

Eirikrautha

Oh please. Particularly coming from a fan of the Capitals. Talk about hyped. Ovechkin has earned the hype. He is what the promos say he is. So is Biles. So is the US Women's soccer and basketball teams. So Is Katie Ledecky.
That doesn't even make any sense. If Ovechkin falls off to 10 goals/season and has no chance of catching Gretzky, then featuring him on every NHL promo would be over-hype. The promos said Biles was the gold medal favorite and practically a sure thing. How many medals does she have this Olympics?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That doesn't even make any sense. If Ovechkin falls off to 10 goals/season and has no chance of catching Gretzky, then featuring him on every NHL promo would be over-hype. The promos said Biles was the gold medal favorite and practically a sure thing. How many medals does she have this Olympics?

4 goals plus a bronze. We are not talking about 10 goal Ov. We are talking about today Ov and previous superstar Ov. Biles was the favorite. If she competes in the floor exercise which remains on her schedule she would be the favorite. She has competed in 1 olympics and 2 world championships. She has 13 gold medals and 3 silver/ bronze. Thats 16 medals in 3 competitions. She holds the records. In short, she is the shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad