GDT: WCQF GM04 | Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | Sun. Apr 28th | 2:00PM PST | SNP/CBC | Don’t Panic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Don’t turn out of shoulder to shoulder hits at the last second.

This isn’t what happened though. Stastny was trying to fish the puck out and had his back turned as a result. It wasn’t the last second. And sure, he put himself in a “vulnerable” position, but it’s a hit from behind and I think we were fortunate there wasn’t a five minute major. Not a ton separating this from the Miller hit from behind where everyone was calling for a five minute major.

Imagine if that was Hughes getting hit from behind, and suffering what is likely a concussion and being out the rest of the playoff. People would be calling for a suspension, and rightfully so.

Joshua needs to be more careful. It’s his responsibility to not finish a guy hard into the boards and from hind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zippgunn

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
If you actually watch the replay of the Joshua hit he is facing the defenseman's back numbers literally the entire way from about the faceoff dot and the defenseman does indeed make a turn to the left to play the puck. But when you are facing his back numbers literally the entire way it is all on you if you hit him in a way that constitutes boarding.

I think it remains a major in the regular season. Terrible hit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 9.00.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 9.00.29 AM.png
    849.3 KB · Views: 2

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
This isn’t what happened though. Stastny was trying to fish the puck out and had his back turned as a result. It was the last second. And sure, he put himself in a “vulnerable” position, but it’s a hit from behind and I think we were fortunate there wasn’t a five minute major. Not a ton separating this from the Miller hit from behind where everyone was calling for a five minute major.

Imagine if that was Hughes getting hit from behind, and suffering what is likely a concussion and being out the rest of the playoff. People would be calling for a suspension, and rightfully so.

Joshua needs to be more careful. It’s his responsibility to not finish a guy hard into the boards and from hind.
I agree. The Joshua hit was a bad bad hit. If Statsney didn’t get up as a quick as he did, Joshua would’ve gotten a major and likely a suspension.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Didn't Miller crush Stastny right before the period ended too? Maybe he was injured from that and not the Joshua hit.

Unless Miller hit somebody else and I'm forgetting.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Of the Canucks 12 shots last game, Miller had six of them, nobody else had more than one.

Reactions: dwarf

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
According to some posters the hero is Boeser game in and game out, he is the best winger on the team. Leads winger is in ????? missed shots? evading hits? What ever.

It will be a tight game with some Ballroom Dancing. Figure McCarron will be out there to intimidate instead of trying to score. Just the few hits Hughes absorbed changed his game, imagine if a beast pursues him. Pretty sure they will think a trade off of Zadorov for McCarron is a win.

They have a tough team that can be mean and many over there know what it will take. Pure skill hockey didn't work but pressure hitting had an effect now they might turn that up a notch or two because if they lose this one they could be facing a refreshed Demko the last two, nobody knows for sure but the possibility exists as long as the secrecy remains.

I expect a meat grinder this game, keep their heads up.
The Canucks did what the had to do, they won a game in their barn. Play .500 hockey and go on to waste 8 days in the next series, no just kidding because is sounded so honest. I think the revamped defence can win games and they aren't tired or beat up yet.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
See how many shots DAL needed to get the win last night? Must be embarrassing to play such inefficient hockey.
it was like watching kids unable to raise the puck. Im not sure why it was such an issue for them last game. That game should have never gone to OT

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
This isn’t what happened though. Stastny was trying to fish the puck out and had his back turned as a result. It wasn’t the last second. And sure, he put himself in a “vulnerable” position, but it’s a hit from behind and I think we were fortunate there wasn’t a five minute major. Not a ton separating this from the Miller hit from behind where everyone was calling for a five minute major.

IMG_5977.png
IMG_5978.png

There’s a second or less between these two pics. Stastny braces with his left shoulder and he’s still playing today.

And he’s not even hitting him in the numbers in the second pic regardless. It’s a 2 min boarding penalty at most.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
I felt last game had a lot of charges and late hits from the Preds until Z rocked Josi. Let's hope none of our guys get hurt, and the refs call some of these

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

If you actually watch the replay of the Joshua hit he is facing the defenseman's back numbers literally the entire way from about the faceoff dot and the defenseman does indeed make a turn to the left to play the puck. But when you are facing his back numbers literally the entire way it is all on you if you hit him in a way that constitutes boarding.

I think it remains a major in the regular season. Terrible hit.

Nobody, no coaches are allowed to teach hitting or how to take a hit in minor hockey anymore.
What happens then is the boys that are larger get to a level where hitting is then allowed and it is something that gets blown all out of proportion by the kids and due to size difference in those ages the bigger ones prevail.
This was illustrated when Zadorov said they hit all the time at all age levels in Russia so they know how.
Minor hockey coaches sometime teach the kids to have their backs to the play; one - to protect the puck and two - because it is drilled in to kids not to hit the "stop". This inadvertently leads to kids turning to show the "stop sign" or just getting trained to do so to keep possession or make plays.
The words "keep your head up" are hardly used in minor hockey anymore because all hitting is discouraged until age 13/14 so they just don't know what to do or how to do it

View attachment 861151View attachment 861152
There’s a second or less between these two pics. Stastny braces with his left shoulder and he’s still playing today.

And he’s not even hitting him in the numbers in the second pic regardless. It’s a 2 min boarding penalty at most.

My argument is Stastney knew that Joshua was there - he clearly did - and he turned to protect the puck daring Joshua to hit him which he did, drawing the penalty. He didn't consider that he'd get injured. I'm pretty sure this is what Toronto saw too.
Joshua did not expect Stastney to turn - who would do that?
Aside from the politics of throwing Joshua out, Macarron got a two minute minor as a make up call.

Its a strange thing, but for the first few games the officials are actually getting blamed for not doing playoff officiating.

Reactions: theguardianII

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Whether Statsney knew it or not the NHL rulebook makes it clear that it is the responsibility of the hitter. Joshua was behind him since the faceoff dot at least.

Yep. The NHL really needs to figure out a way to consistently deal with this type of infraction. We’ve got Zadorov being suspended, Manson and Joshua getting minors, and Moore getting nothing, almost all for identical hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad