OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc., 2016-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Derrick Rose till Wall is back?

Rose would need at least a few weeks to monitor his heart to decide whether or not he’s still in it; whether or not his “love of the game” could handle playing in the district. Plus I’d rather just play Sato.

Hard pass...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
@Bananas, yes, trades happen all the time in the NHL but NHL teams do not and cannot turn over literally 75% of their roster in 3 hours. You're making an apples to oranges comparison and cherry picking data points to support your premise.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We see 3 team deals in the NBA all the time. A couple today alone. When was the last time you saw an NHL 3 team deal? I’m sure they happen, but not often. There is some validity to ABro’s comments.

Do NHL GM’s lack imagination? It’s not like they (NBA GM’s) operate under some alien structure.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I wonder if the Morris twins ever thought about switching places for one of these games

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Beal holds for the last shot and puts up a klunker through a double team with Porter wide open for a 3 then a 15 footer. Porter has 27pts and leads all scorers for the game. Didn't even look at him.

Oh and that's after Morris fouled Irving on a prayer 3 pointer, up 3 points with like 12 seconds left. Irving is one of the best FT shooters in the league.

Dumb.

edit: Morris just did it AGAIN

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
They still shoulda unloaded Gortat for something. That's an infenction that's gonna fester and probably blow up when Wall returns.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Gortat is not totally soft but his style bothers me. He's not a particularly physical 5. He has few power moves if any. He's like a 4.5. He prefers to slash with the lay up or some other kind of short shot that avoids contact. Same with rebounding. He would rather slap the ball out to the perimeter than body up and come down with a rebound for a strong finish.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Gortat is not totally soft but his style bothers me. He's not a particularly physical 5. He has few power moves if any. He's like a 4.5. He prefers to slash with the lay up or some other kind of short shot that avoids contact. Same with rebounding. He would rather slap the ball out to the perimeter than body up and come down with a rebound for a strong finish.

I think the word you want is “finesse”. He’s the epitome of a finesse player in the NBA

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think the word you want is “finesse”. He’s the epitome of a finesse player in the NBA

I thought about that exact word. He has "finesse" but he makes the game harder at times because of it. Standing right in front of the bucket and instead of just going up for a dunk he'd prefer to slash to the other side of the rim for a reverse lay-up. Team needs to control the ball and he's slapping rebounds all over the place instead of grabbing them.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a liability. But the team is DUMB so he doesn't seem to always use those tools the right way at the right time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I thought about that exact word. He has "finesse" but he makes the game harder at times because of it. Standing right in front of the bucket and instead of just going up for a dunk he'd prefer to slash to the other side of the rim for a reverse lay-up. Team needs to control the ball and he's slapping rebounds all over the place instead of grabbing them.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it's a liability. But the team is DUMB so he doesn't seem to always use those tools the right way at the right time.

I agree that sometimes he seems to be more form than substance. A few Wizards are that way. It leads to games like last night, where they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. It’s also why I don’t think they can amount to much.

Hope I’m wrong.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He also dragged ass on a key play I think in OT. Porter penetrated but was cut off and Gortat was the trailer. Instead of following the play and filling the lane he hung back in the d zone by himself. There was nobody to cover. He was just "Kareeming". Porter's back pass was turned over and went the other way to put the Celtics up, I think by 2 scores, and the Wiz never recovered. Despite being back Gortat was either ineffective on D or fouled the shooter, I can't recall.

Just not impressed at all with his game and haven't been for a while. He reminds me of Troy Brouwer in that he'll have a few weeks where he's hot and then the rest of the time you're left wondering if the positives outweigh the negatives.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He also dragged ass on a key play I think in OT. Porter penetrated but was cut off and Gortat was the trailer. Instead of following the play and filling the lane he hung back in the d zone by himself. There was nobody to cover. He was just "Kareeming". Porter's back pass was turned over and went the other way to put the Celtics up, I think by 2 scores, and the Wiz never recovered. Despite being back Gortat was either ineffective on D or fouled the shooter, I can't recall.

Just not impressed at all with his game and haven't been for a while. He reminds me of Troy Brouwer in that he'll have a few weeks where he's hot and then the rest of the time you're left wondering if the positives outweigh the negatives.

I know exactly what play you're talking about. I honestly thought he was injured because he was so far behind the play. If I'm Brooks, I chew his ass the f*** out in front of everyone while showing it during film time. That was disgraceful. Get him off this team.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
@Bananas, yes, trades happen all the time in the NHL but NHL teams do not and cannot turn over literally 75% of their roster in 3 hours. You're making an apples to oranges comparison and cherry picking data points to support your premise.

I didn’t use any data points lol.

Not trying to derail the thread. Cleveland had an extraordinarily busy deadline by NBA standards. The Capitals could have one by NHL standards. That’s the only point I’m trying to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad