OT: Nats, Wiz, O's, Ravens, Terps, DC United, Navy, Gtown, etc. : Version VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They're a good conference because they have good teams. Are they blue blood programs? No. Is the Pac 12 a better conference than the Big 10 because Oregon State's coach left Wisconsin to coach there? Is the Pac 12 better than the ACC because Arizona State's coach left Pittsburgh?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm just pointing out the evidence you're using to support the AAC being a good football conference is rather suspect. We'll see the quality of their teams in the bowl games. And it's not as if it was mid-tier programs in the conference that lost their coaches. The AAC Champs just lost their coach.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Losing their coaches to bigger programs makes the AAC a good conference? Isn't losing coaches to bigger programs exactly what mid and lower tier conferences do? If it was AAC teams poaching coaches from Texas and Baylor, rather than the other way around, then it would be a power conference.

How about Alabama, LSU and WVU? Lane Kiffin, Les Miles and Dana Holgorsen are listed as interested in the vacant Houston job.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...h-search-dana-holgorsen-les-miles-lane-kiffin

Are, or would, any of those 3 be interested in a vacancy in the MAC? Nope.

And it looks like Army and Navy will have some pretty cool uniforms Saturday. Navy's in particular I really like. :naughty:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/12/5/13845002/army-navy-2016-uniforms

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

“The caliber of pitcher available isn’t often bandied about in the trade market,†Rizzo said of Sale. “He’s a quality pitcher, so you’re going to have to give up quality to get him. It’s a move that you have three years of control of a really good pitcher, so you’re going to have to give up a lot for him. And we felt we reached as far as we were going to reach in the trade, and we fell short.â€

Though he didn’t reveal any specific names involved in the discussions, the insinuation was pretty clear: Rizzo wasn’t willing to include Trea Turner in a deal for Sale, and that’s what the White Sox would have required to say yes.

http://www.masnsports.com/nationals...reached-as-far-as-we-were-going-to-reach.html

I'd rather have Turner.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How about Alabama, LSU and WVU? Lane Kiffin, Les Miles and Dana Holgorsen are listed as interested in the vacant Houston job.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...h-search-dana-holgorsen-les-miles-lane-kiffin

Are, or would, any of those 3 be interested in a vacancy in the MAC? Nope.

Kiffin is an assistant coach, not a head coach. Holgorsen is only interested because he and the AD at WVU haven't been able to reach an agreement on a new contract. And Les Miles was fired by LSU. He wouldn't be leaving that job to take the Houston job.

More to the point, your article lists that Houston is interested in them, not the other way around.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Take and read into what you will. What is undisputed is the AAC is at a significantly higher level than the MAC. Nothing else needs to be said.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
And significantly lower than the ACC, B1G, Big 12, and PAC 12.

That's just not true. The top teams in those conferences -- Clemson, FSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC -- are indeed orders of magnitude better than the top teams in the AAC. The middle tier teams and lower tier teams are comparable. Those conferences you mentioned have some of the worst teams in the FBS. The Big 12 had 60% of their teams finish .500 or worse this year.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Stunned and disgusted. Rizzo is done.

lol what? you do realize that 1) eaton is very good. 2) he is cheap and i mean really cheap for the next 5 years. 3) giolito had tj and wasant even that impressive in the minors or majors. 4) all the nats starters are under contract for a long time so the odds of giolito coming up anytime soon is low unless injuries

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Utterly pitiful deadline and off-season from Rizzo here. He might as well be GMing the Caps right now as well he'd be a carbon copy of the fail-hards we've had trying to get us over the hump during the Ovie era. I'll say it again for the millionth time:

WHEN YOU'RE A CHAMPIONSHIP STARVED TEAM AND YOU HAVE A LEGIT SHOT BOLSTER THE ****ING ROSTER TO THE HILT AT THE DEADLINE AND DONT ****ING DINK DUNK IT

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
And I'll add when you finally grow the pair needed to trade your best prospects don't get the Eatons and the Erats of the world.

Jeeze Louise

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
lol what? you do realize that 1) eaton is very good. 2) he is cheap and i mean really cheap for the next 5 years. 3) giolito had tj and wasant even that impressive in the minors or majors. 4) all the nats starters are under contract for a long time so the odds of giolito coming up anytime soon is low unless injuries

1,2) Of course Eaton and his contract are good. Nobody's disputing that.
3) LOL at Giolito not impressive. He had an ERA little over two in AAA last year despite being six years younger than the average (I'll give you the small sample size). And stats are not what's important, it's the potential, the plus-pitches he has.
4) Scherzer and Stras are under contract for a long time. Gio is trash and hopefully he leaves soon. Ross is inconsistent and the front office seems to not like Roark that much. You need four good starters to complete in the playoffs. We have 2, 3 at most, and one of them always gets injured before the playoffs start. Giolito would be a huge asset to have.

And honestly, that's not the problem I have with the deal. Yes, I hate losing Giolito, but he was expendable in the right deal, hell, even in this one. But to give up Reynaldo Lopez as well??? That's what I'm most miffed about. Our two best minor league pitchers in a system built around pitching are gone in a league where prospects have lots of value. This kind of deal should've been able to land Chris Sale, not just Eaton.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Would you have rather given up that package for Cutch?

We could have had Andrew Miller for Gio straight up more or less at the deadline. Not doing that hurt us last year, hurts us this year, and after this subsequent tire fire of a trade hurts us the next ten years.

It's horrific asset management and in the process cost us a solid chance last year. Melancon was a good move but it needed to be followed up with a bat or another bullpen arm.

That these pieces that we balked at trading last deadline netted us Adam Freaking Eaton while at the same time doing nothing for our chances last year while we had a perfectly legitimate shot is an absolute cluster****...

Unreal.

This town is the ****ing worst...

Two brilliant farm builders who are utterly incompetent when it comes to finding the last pieces and the corresponding coaching to win a title or at least make it anywhere freaking close with stacked orgs.

Apoplectic is how I'd describe my reaction to this trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad