Switzerland: National team discussion

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I give it a try... but of course a lot can happen.

***= lock
**= serious candidate
*= slim chances

Forwards

95:
***:Luca Hischier, Jason Fuchs, Luca Fazzini, Fabio Högger
**:Tim Wieser, Marc Marchon, Patrick Brändli, Marc Äschlimann,
Michael Hügli, Andri Spiller
*:Patrick Bandiera, Lukas Meier, Matteo Romanenghi, Ramon
Pfranger, Benjamin Maillard, Felix Girard... for sure there are some others in this category...

96:
***: Kevin Fiala
**: Pius Suter, Noah Rod, Timo Meier
*: Kris Schmidli, Kay Schwery

97:
**: Denis Malgin
*: Fabian Haberstich, Auguste Impose, Nathan Marchon

Defense:

95:
***: Mirco Müller, Phil Baltisperger, Yanik Rathgeb
**: Xeno Büsser, Tim Grossniklaus, Joey Dupertuis, Mauro Dufner
*: Igor Jelovac, Michael Fora, Sven Jung, Thomas Haas and some others

96:
**:Simon Kindschi, Edson Harlacher
*:Marc Forrer, Silvio Schmutz, Cedric Maurer, Fabian Heldner

97:
**: Jonas Siegenthaler
*: Roger Karrer

95er haven't got top-end talent on attack, guys like Fiala, Malgin, Impose are more talented but underagers

on D: 95er looks solid... there's a lot of size in 95er and 96er

GK: 96ers are stronger than 95ers: Gilles Senn, Gauthier Descloux or Ludovic Waeber could all possibly steal the job from the elder

cheers

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So it's official, Simpson will leave after the World Championship. Any idea about who will be the next coach? I can't think of anyone who would be a better fit than him.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
So it's official, Simpson will leave after the World Championship. Any idea about who will be the next coach? I can't think of anyone who would be a better fit than him.

It's going to be extremely hard to replace him. My dream choice would be Bykov, but I have no idea what his status is and if he would be interested?

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
It's going to be extremely hard to replace him. My dream choice would be Bykov, but I have no idea what his status is and if he would be interested?

I'm not crazy about Bykov. Lots of charisma but I never liked his tactics. On the other hand, there aren't that many coaches with international experience and familiar with Swiss hockey. What about Gustafsson?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Bykov !

Eternal Fribourg player from generation to generation.

Respect to him.

His result were ok when he was leading the sbornaya ... but i am not 100% convinced.
In fact i regret the departure of Simpson. He represented offensive hockey in Switzerland to me.

Hopefully we will find another leader inspiring spectacle as much as Simpson to our players.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Seems like they're after Jukka Jalonen. Would be great if they can work it out, he's definitely a better option than all the names that have been thrown so far.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
And it will be Glen Hanlon. Very disappointing after the Jalonen rumor.

He had some solid tournaments with Belarus in 05, 06 and 09, but his two attempts with Slovakia were nothing short of terrible.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
And it will be Glen Hanlon. Very disappointing after the Jalonen rumor.

He had some solid tournaments with Belarus in 05, 06 and 09, but his two attempts with Slovakia were nothing short of terrible.

I'm definitely not looking forward to this.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So Hanlon is confirmed. John Fust is his assistant and also U20 head coach.

I had a better feeling last time (from Krüger to Simpson), I have to admit.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I don't know what to think about this. Belarus started with poor games against USA and Switzerland, but I liked them a lot more late in the tournament. Overall, Hanlon managed 3 top 8 finishes and a 9th place in four WC with Belarus, that's a pretty good record (in 11 WC without him, Belarus finished once in the top 8 and was relegated twice).

But what makes me afraid is his two tournaments with Slovakia. Both times way out of the quarterfinals with solid teams.

eme

Oct 22, 2006
Helsinki
Hanlon is great with smaller countries due to his ultra defensive and boring system. Teams with more skill he might still do okay, but its boring as hell to watch. Hanlon hada 2 year deal to coach Jokerit few years back, but even if they were doing okayish in the first year, it was announced midseason that he would not continue the second season, the fans were less than happy with the entertainment value. Eventually he was fired from the job. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of games from the teams he has coached lately, but I'm disappointed with this, since I think this is a step backwards.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Hanlon's first roster. Looks like he wants to try a lot of guys who are having a good season start. 9 newcomers and only 9 players with previous WC experience:

Daniel Manzato (HC Lugano)
Sandro Zurkirchen (HC Ambri-Piotta)

Eric Blum (SC Bern),
Jannik Fischer (Lausanne HC)
Robin Grossmann (EV Zug)
Lorenz Kienzle (HC Lugano)
Clarence Kparghai (HC Lugano)
Tim Ramholt (EV Zug)
Dominik Schlumpf (HC Lugano)
Ramon Untersander (EHC Biel)

Chris Baltisberger (ZSC Lions)
Christoph Bertschy (SC Bern)
Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers)
Enzo Corvi (HC Davos)
Etienne Froidevaux (Lausanne HC)
Mike Künzle (ZSC Lions)
Romano Lemm (Kloten Flyers)
Lino Martschini (EV Zug)
Reto Schäppi (ZSC Lions)
Tristan Scherwey (SC Bern)
Dario Simion (HC Davos)
Reto Suri (EV Zug)
Eric Walsky (HC Lugano)
Samuel Walser (HC Davos)
Dino Wieser (HC Davos)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Some interesting guys, especially on Offence. Bertschy, Künzle, Martschini, Scherwey, Simion and Walser are on my list for quite some time.

And very cool to see that Lemm is back after his illness.

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011
hey guys, i couldnt catch the games at Deutschland Cup.

Can u give me a short recap/scouting about the new players in nationalteam how they did or if its worth to give some another call?

Thanks in advance.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I only watched the games against Germany and Slovakia, and the highlights of the Canada game. Maybe I missed something important, but I'll give it a go.

On offense, Suri was the best player by far, and him and Martschini were the most consistent at creating scoring chances. Against Germany, Walsky and Bodenmann had some good plays while the Wieser-Walser-Simion line did some good stuff against Slovakia. On the other hand, I expected a bit more from Froidevaux and Bertschy. I'd say that among the new guys, Martschini and Wieser made the best case for themselves.

I thought none of the defensemen stood out. Hächler did well and Kparghai was solid defensively, but on the other hand I was very dissapointed by Ramholt. He should have been the leader of that defense but instead his mistakes directly led to two goals (chasing a guy behind the net while shorthanded against Germany, breakout pass intercepted against Canada) and he took two stupid penalties in a matter of seconds against Slovakia.

Both goalies had very solid games.

Regarding my first impression of this Hanlon led team, I liked the fast transition and the strong pressure against the puck carrier. On the minus side, the special teams will need a lot of work.

Anyone else watched the games?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I only watched the games against Germany and Slovakia, and the highlights of the Canada game. Maybe I missed something important, but I'll give it a go.

On offense, Suri was the best player by far, and him and Martschini were the most consistent at creating scoring chances. Against Germany, Walsky and Bodenmann had some good plays while the Wieser-Walser-Simion line did some good stuff against Slovakia. On the other hand, I expected a bit more from Froidevaux and Bertschy. I'd say that among the new guys, Martschini and Wieser made the best case for themselves.

I thought none of the defensemen stood out. Hächler did well and Kparghai was solid defensively, but on the other hand I was very dissapointed by Ramholt. He should have been the leader of that defense but instead his mistakes directly led to two goals (chasing a guy behind the net while shorthanded against Germany, breakout pass intercepted against Canada) and he took two stupid penalties in a matter of seconds against Slovakia.

Regarding my first impression of this Hanlon led team, I liked the fast transition and the strong pressure against the puck carrier. On the minus side, the special teams will need a lot of work.

i regretfully couldn't watch any of them.
Thanks a lot for sharing your interesting views.

goodoldhockeygame

Sep 29, 2011

Thanks, appreciate that. But so i guess if u consider that there wer so many newcomers and a new system, the result/play wasnt that bad then. Was the D solid?

marlcarp71

Jul 23, 2014
Hi Guys!

Does David Aebischer play hockey anymore?
I know he had a try-out but now that it's over, does he still play hockey?

Thanks a lot!

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Hi Guys!

Does David Aebischer play hockey anymore?
I know he had a try-out but now that it's over, does he still play hockey?

Thanks a lot!

He plays for Thurgau in the NLB. There was a rumor he could join Geneva a few days ago as the lost three goalies to injury, but it looks like it won't happen.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Any news on the roster for the WJC?

What do you guys think the roster will look like?

Personally, I hope Tim Wieser and Kay Schweri both play, being a Sherbrooke Phoenix enthusiast:laugh:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
The team for the Arosa Challenge. First call for Fritsche and Almond, I can't say I'm crazy about the idea of adding foreign trained players.

Only 7 players with no WC experience, and 2nd call of the season for Bertschy, Haas and Martschini.

Flüeler Lukas (ZSC Lions)
Stephan Tobias (EV Zug)

Blindenbacher Severin (ZSC Lions)
Blum Eric (SC Bern)
Grossmann Robin (EV Zug)
Kamerzin Jérémie (HC Fribourg-Gottéron)
Kukan Dean (Lulea)
Vauclair Julien (HC Lugano)
Von Gunten Patrick (Kloten Flyers)

Almond Cody (Genève-Servette HC)
Ambühl Andres (HC Davos)
Baltisberger Chris (ZSC Lions)
Bertschy Christoph (SC Bern)
Bieber Matthias (Kloten Flyers)
Fritsche Dan (ZSC Lions)
Haas Gaëtan (EHC Biel)
Hollenstein Denis (Kloten Flyers)
Martschini Lino (EV Zug)
Moser Simon (SC Bern)
Rüfenacht Thomas (SC Bern)
Trachsler Morris (ZSC Lions)
Walker Julian (HC Lugano)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
It's strange to think Dan Fritsche will be playing for Switzerland. I still remember him being a big time prospect here in the US and playing on a few US world junior teams.

What's the impetus behind adding foreign-born players who aren't necessarily any better than their Swiss trained and produced counterparts? It seems to me the Swiss program should be beyond that strategy at this point, unless they're adding a very talented player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad