Injury Report: Nathan Beaulieu done for the season after shoulder surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good thing he got his expansion draft games in before this.
If his injury is deemed potentially career-threatening, he won't meet the expansion draft requirement. I have no idea how they would adjudicate that in this case. But surgery for a torn shoulder labrum is not a simple injury.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I know this guy is maligned on here and I get it but he is a warrior and by all accounts a great teammate.

I wish him the best of luck with surgery and I hope he has a full recovery.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
What is a Labrum?

The labrum is a cup-shaped rim of cartilage that lines and reinforces the ball-and-socket joint of the shoulder. The shoulder joint is composed of the glenoid (the shallow shoulder "socket") and the head of the upper arm bone known as the humerus (the "ball")

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
As has been mentioned, I'm really sorry to hear his season is done and he needs surgery. :-O

However, as also been mentioned, it opens up the possibility of getting an upgrade to our D core.

Please, just don't trade Heinola, Perfetti, or our first for a rental (long term package can be acceptable).

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
If his injury is deemed potentially career-threatening, he won't meet the expansion draft requirement. I have no idea how they would adjudicate that in this case. But surgery for a torn shoulder labrum is not a simple injury.
Recovery can take a while after labrum surgery, but it is not uncommon and shouldn't be career-threatening.

My recollection is that he was put on IR for a HAND injury due to blocking a shot. I suspect the torn labrum was a chronic thing and they have done shoulder surgery while the hand heals to serve other needs, namely:
-making him healthy early enough to be eligible for the expansion draft
-freeing cap space for a trade
-taking him out after his utilization has been high, making him look more valuable than he really is
-freeing up room for Stanley, who has now proven himself to be a more than adequate replacement

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
As has been mentioned, I'm really sorry to hear his season is done and he needs surgery. :-O

However, as also been mentioned, it opens up the possibility of getting an upgrade to our D core.

Please, just don't trade Heinola, Perfetti, or our first for a rental (long term package can be acceptable).

Any GM that trades those two would need to take a long walk off a short pier....:soap:

TEH FIRST NOEL

Jan 31, 2021
PAUL MAURICE'S LUGGAGE
Any GM that trades those two would need to take a long walk off a short pier....:soap:

LivelyLikelyEel-small.gif

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

The difference in value of Perfetti or Heinola and a late first round pick in a weak draft is giant.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Glad to hear that Beaulieu is getting the medical attention and rest he deserves. Get well soon, buddy.

Glad that fate has effectively avoided an inevitable future bad decision by Maurice to play Beaulieu in big minutes for the rest of the year and throughout the playoffs.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Good thing he got his expansion draft games in before this.

Gotta wonder

Quite sorry to hear about this as well. Beaulieu finished last season looking like he'd earned a permanent spot on the team but looked like the worst player on the ice fr most games this season.

If this injury had been a nagging one, it perhaps explains some of his play. Further if he was playing through to get help the Jets meet expansion requirements, he certainly did the team an enormous favour.

The only other defensemen meeting exposure requirements are Morrissey & Demelo. He'll be healthy by the time of the expansion draft serving as the player that meets expansion requirements.

In all likelihood he's going to LTIR now, so Chevy can set his sights higher on a bigger, perhaps even multiple fish.

Personally hoping for a top four right shooting defensemen and a right shooting depth forward.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Not a simple surgery - but I think it is common enough that it is not usually considered career threatening. Correct me if I am wrong there.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Hope Booboo heals up but to me his shoulder wasn't a issue it was his skating and decision making . Again hope he makes a full recovery but Stanley is already better , to me anyway.

Agree. Good luck to him for a full recovery, but not sure why he was in the lineup over Stanley after reaching his XD games requirement some weeks ago while playing with a preexisting, shoulder injury -- generally addressable with good outcomes but can be tricky.

Yeah, taking one for the team, but why?

Because, while his uneven on-ice play may have hurt the team, his sacrifices help "the room." Here's PoMo waxing eloquent on the subject"

Head coach Paul Maurice said the 28-year-old had been playing with the ailment prior to breaking a bone in his hand, which was the injury that caused him to come out of the line-up on Mar. 9 in Toronto.

"Three broken bones last year, another one this year, the shoulder, scratching and clawing to kind of be a player for us. He's a really important part of that room because of it," said Maurice. "The people that invest a lot, that give a lot to their teammates, are always the ones that you, it's so painful when they go down."

Beaulieu has surgery on torn labrum, out for the rest of the season

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad