Nash nets 3rd of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion Mustard*

jacketracket said:
I didn't incluce Nash on the team --- the good folks selecting Team Canada did.

BTW, Nash has picked up his 10th and 11th in the first period tonight (in his 15th game). The first came 10 seconds into the game ...

Funny how a team that went 5-18-0-1 is suddenly playing .500 hockey with the return of a player "who doesn't do anything to help his team win".

bizoncol said:
Dion Mustard, isn't it time to eat a crow?

Amazing what a few games against Pittsburg, Chicago and Phoenix will do for you eh? Tell you what, start picking up some wins against teams that won’t be in the lottery draft, and you might excite me. Last time I check, the Jackets were still near the basement.

DJAnimosity said:
Me and my "ilk" watch every Jackets game and know what we see, and it's that Nash is a world-class player. Something tells me you don't do the same.

Like I said, we'll wait till the end of February to re-visit this discussion and something tells me that you'll be nowhere to be found.

Funny thing is, go onto the Leafs board and see how many Leaf fans think (list any player here) is the greatest ever. It’s called being a homer. If you think I’m going to take your obviously biased and uninformed views on a certain player, you are as crazy as the owner of the Jackets for continuing to employ Doug MacLean.

But let’s clear this up now. What is your criteria for success for Rick Nash at the winter Olympics? Serious. Even though he wasn’t named MVP, or top forward, you and some of your ilk still try and say he was the best player at the World Championships. Obviously he wasn’t, or he would have picked up one of those awards. If he has success in the round robin, but goes cold in the medal rounds, will you consider that success? Because that’s what happened at the World’s, and we all know how you feel about his play there.

What is your definition of success for Rick Nash at the Olympics? Tell me now, or lose any right of “re-visiting†this later.

arrbez said:
My argument holds no weight?

Did you just claim that Rick Nash has peaked at the ripe old age of 19, while Johnathan Cheechoo has yet to reach his potential at the age of 25? Does that make any sense? How many NHL players peak in their teens? If Rick Nash follows the same pattern that 99% of NHL players do, he will only improve from here.

How many times did Temmu Selanie reach or beat his goal scorer total of his rookie year? How many times have we seen a player jump out of the gates with an amazing performance when few were expecting it, only to never return to the form again? How old was Martin St. Louis before he became one of the best players in the league?

Fact is, history has shown it is possible for a young player to hit their peak early and never return to that glory. And history has shown some athletes take a little longer getting all their tools together.

But seriously, don’t let the love you have for Nash blind your common sense.

So tell us, honestly, right now, for all to see:

Do you really believe Johnathan Cheechoo is a good enough player to have scored 41 goals with no help in the dead-puck era as a 19 year old? (I'm not asking would it have happened, because that's all hypothetical. I'm asking if you think Cheechoo is that good).

If you do, I would suggest that you are severely overrating Mr. Cheechoo, and every single person on the Sharks board will tell you the same.

Given the same situation I believe Rick Nash was given in the last NHL season, yes, I do think Jonathan Cheechoo could have scored 41 goals. Quite frankly, I think there are a number of players who could do it given the situation that was going on in Columbus.

Listen, to this point, no one has tried refuting my stance on how and why Nash scored 41 goals. Until one of you die hards can do so, I’ll stick to my guns. And if what I think happened, then it is possible you could have scored 41 goals in the NHL as a 19 year old.

Listen, I could care less about Jonathan Cheechoo. He means nothing to me. But he is the best case example to show how people twist the numbers to suit certain players. According to some, Nash was a lock for Team Canada because of his one time chemistry with Joe Thornton. But yet, the exact same chemistry doesn’t help Cheechoo onto the team. People talk about what Nash did in his sophomore year, yet at the same time, Cheechoo in his sophomore was right up there with Nash is scoring. People use Nash’s one time play at the World Championship as a reason he should go to the Olympics, yet others (not Cheechoo) have done the same, if not better, but weren’t invited.

Conversley, do you really think Rick Nash wouldn't be able to crack the Sharks lineup untill 2009 had he been drafted by them? You really believe he would still be in the AHL right now?

Actually, yes. Last year might have been Nash’s first year in the NHL with the Sharks. But since there was no season, he would have been in the AHL. What you people don’t seem to understand is that the vast majority of coach’s and GM’s don’t believe in rushing their prospects into the NHL. San Jose has been a top tier team for a few years now. Unlike the Jackets, they weren’t in dire need of help from anywhere they could find it. They also have coaches (Wilson & Sutter) that understand how important it is to develop an all round game. MacLean, and his hand puppet Gallant, can’t figure this out (Gilbert Brule is a prime example).

Saying this might very well be Nash’s first NHL season with the Sharks is not by any stretch a knock against him. And you inability to see that speaks volumes to the kind of knowledge and mentality you have.

Every single game, Rick Nash is proving you more and more wrong. He's now got 10 goals and 5 assists in 12 games since his injury, and many feel he's not even 100%.

This is what kills me. How is he proving me wrong? Look who the Jackets have been playing lately. If Columbus is able to continue this streak against the top teams in the league, instead of the bottom dwellers, then I’ll give credit where credit is due. But at this point, racking up points against the Penguins isn’t the kind of stuff that puts you in the HoF.

Perhaps you don't like him, perhaps you feel a different player would be better suited to Team Canada. That's fine, we all have our opinions.

There we go. There are players better suited for Team Canada. Players who have had successful seasons in the NHL more then once. Players who won Championships for the Country in the past. Players who weren’t injured when the announcement was made. And players who can do more then hang out at the red line and look for the garbage.

But dude, you'd need to be blind not to see how good this kid is. No offence to Johnathan Cheechoo, but he's not even in the same league as Rick Nash.

Good, yes. Great, no. And that is the point we’ve been trying to make. Some of you think this guy is already one of the Top 25 NHLers of all time. Truth is, he could blow out a knee tomorrow, and he’d be forgotten in the hockey world within a few weeks.

And BTW, you’re right, Cheechoo is not in the same league as Nash. Cheechoo is in a league that will enable him to play in the playoffs. Nash has never done that.

Top Shelf said:
I hope someone bought Dion Mustard a new shovel for x-mas. That one he's currently using to dig that hole he finds himself stuck in must be getting worn out by now.

And I wish you’d get some new glasses so you could actually see the way the game of hockey is suppose to be played. But I guess denial is more then just a river in Egypt. Don’t let the absence of facts and common sense stop you from adding a post.

shawn_kemp*

Nash is great. Those who don't like him are entitled to their opinion, but this doesn't change the fact that he's great, because it is, indeed, a fact.

CBJ 97 61 16

Aug 9, 2004
Columbus, OH
Wow Dion, that was nice. Way to skip over all of the facts that I showed. You had nothing to say to those. I like how you did that. If something goes against what you think, you just ignore it. Very nice.

jacketracket*

Dion Mustard said:
Amazing what a few games against Pittsburg, Chicago and Phoenix will do for you eh? Tell you what, start picking up some wins against teams that won?t be in the lottery draft, and you might excite me. Last time I check, the Jackets were still near the basement.
Good point.

No one else noticed that he put up Richard-winning numbers last season by only playing weak teams.

You called that one ...

If you think I?m going to take your obviously biased and uninformed views on a certain player, you are as crazy as the owner of the Jackets for continuing to employ Doug MacLean.
Now we're getting to the nub of your fixation ... you don't like MacLean/the CBJ ...

But let?s clear this up now. What is your criteria for success for Rick Nash at the winter Olympics? Serious. Even though he wasn?t named MVP, or top forward, you and some of your ilk still try and say he was the best player at the World Championships. Obviously he wasn?t, or he would have picked up one of those awards. If he has success in the round robin, but goes cold in the medal rounds, will you consider that success? Because that?s what happened at the World?s, and we all know how you feel about his play there.
Another good point ... Any player at the Worlds --- on any team --- who didn't "pick up one of those awards" clearly has no place on any Olympic team?

How many times did Temmu Selanie reach or beat his goal scorer total of his rookie year? How many times have we seen a player jump out of the gates with an amazing performance when few were expecting it, only to never return to the form again? How old was Martin St. Louis before he became one of the best players in the league?

Fact is, history has shown it is possible for a young player to hit their peak early and never return to that glory. And history has shown some athletes take a little longer getting all their tools together.
Huh? What does this possibly have to do with Nash? Unless you're tryi
ng to argue that --- although he's still producing at an incredible rate --- he should be discounted because others haven't panned out?

Wow ...

Listen, to this point, no one has tried refuting my stance on how and why Nash scored 41 goals. Until one of you die hards can do so, I?ll stick to my guns. And if what I think happened, then it is possible you could have scored 41 goals in the NHL as a 19 year old.
Who cares how he did it --- he did it, and he followed up by doing it again at the Worlds, and yet again for Davos.

They also have coaches (Wilson & Sutter) that understand how important it is to develop an all round game. MacLean, and his hand puppet Gallant, can?t figure this out (Gilbert Brule is a prime example).
Back to kvetching about MacLean/the CBJ, your real fixation ... get it all out of your system!

This is what kills me. How is he proving me wrong? Look who the Jackets have been playing lately. If Columbus is able to continue this streak against the top teams in the league, instead of the bottom dwellers, then I?ll give credit where credit is due. But at this point, racking up points against the Penguins isn?t the kind of stuff that puts you in the HoF.
ack to discounting the fact that he led the league in goals scored last season, playing against a few more teams than just the Pens ...

There we go. There are players better suited for Team Canada. Players who have had successful seasons in the NHL more then once. Players who won Championships for the Country in the past. Players who weren?t injured when the announcement was made. And players who can do more then hang out at the red line and look for the garbage.
Damn shame the Canadians weren't aware of your availability (and obvious prowess) to consult with them during the selection process ... I bet they're kicking themselves, right now.

Good, yes. Great, no. And that is the point we?ve been trying to make. Some of you think this guy is already one of the Top 25 NHLers of all time. Truth is, he could blow out a knee tomorrow, and he?d be forgotten in the hockey world within a few weeks.
"... we've been trying to make ..."? That's rich. You appear to be pretty much on your own, here. I've yet to see anyone but you try to make a "top 25 of all-time" argument, either way.

Top 25 current players?

Yes.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Wow, Dion Mustard should have been put on the Team Canada management team, he knows a lot about hockey.

He believes he knows a lot more about hockey than Wayne Gretzky, Kevin Lowe, Ken Hitchcock, Wayne Flemming, and Pat Quinn, how is this guy only posting on an internet site? :help:

jacketracket*

therealdeal said:
Wow, Dion Mustard should have been put on the Team Canada management team, he knows a lot about hockey.

He believes he knows a lot more about hockey than Wayne Gretzky, Kevin Lowe, Ken Hitchcock, Wayne Flemming, and Pat Quinn, how is this guy only posting on an internet site? :help:
I'll give him some credit --- he came up with the brilliant argument that Nash doesn't belong on the Olympic team because the CBJ suck.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
jacketracket said:
I'll give him some credit --- he came up with the brilliant argument that Nash doesn't belong on the Olympic team because the CBJ suck.

Thats true, and his goals don't count because they're not against good teams, and most players could score 41 (winning the richard trophy) goals when they're 19 if they get the right situation, which is why its common place. And Cheechoo is definetly almost as good with 61 goals and he's 25, thats close to Nash.

Does Nashs' assist not count tonight because TB sucks this year?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Dion Mustard said:
Given the same situation I believe Rick Nash was given in the last NHL season, yes, I do think Jonathan Cheechoo could have scored 41 goals. Quite frankly, I think there are a number of players who could do it given the situation that was going on in Columbus.

I was going to refute your other Pejorative Slured points, but I think I'll just highlite this one for hillarity instead. :clap:

Those Sharks coaches must feel really stupid, now that they know Cheechoo would have lead the league in goals if only they had the forsight to play him right out of junior with crappy linemates. Clearly that was the key to Nash's success...

This isn't basketball, where guys rack up great numbers on bad teams because they can litterally take every shot. You don't think other teams defences keyed in on Nash, being that he was the only scoring threat on the entire team?

Do you ever wonder why you're the only person on earth who thinks Rick Nash sucks?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Nash DOES have a goal tonight, but its against Florida, so it doesn't really count right, because anyone could score against Florida.

jacketracket*

therealdeal said:
Nash DOES have a goal tonight, but its against Florida, so it doesn't really count right, because anyone could score against Florida.
... an assist, too (5 and 5, 10 pts. in the last 5 games), but the Panthers suck ...

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
jacketracket said:
... an assist, too (5 and 5, 10 pts. in the last 5 games), but the Panthers suck ...

Thats true, there should be an asterick beside his name at the end of the season.

bizzz*

Anyone must score a hat-trick on Luongo.
Amazing what a few games against Pittsburg, Chicago and Phoenix will do for you eh?
Really? 2 goals in San-Jose, goal and assist in Colorado, 2 goals in 2 games with Detroit, goal in Dallas...
Jeez, only 15(8+7) points in the last 8 games. What a sore loser.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
This is no longer about the Olympics, and it is starting to get personal, so I think we should end this here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad